The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for this information!! i was wondering what resources you used for biology? for information and things that you can test yourself on. thanks i think my college has paid for this but i unsure as they only lead to videos on youtube?
Original post by Appazap
Honestly the videos are not that good for their cost, they can potentially get you at least a C. For those looking for higher grades, a lot free resources are better.

If anybody has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer. I had ocr chemistry, biology and geography

Thank you for the information.What resources did you use for Chemistry and Biology?
Thank you for this information, what resources do you recommend?
Reply 4
Original post by Nobody101
Thank you for this information, what resources do you recommend?

Original post by tessa w
Thank you for the information.What resources did you use for Chemistry and Biology?

Original post by gnuehc128
Thank you for this information!! i was wondering what resources you used for biology? for information and things that you can test yourself on. thanks i think my college has paid for this but i unsure as they only lead to videos on youtube?

With snaprevise, there aren't really a lot of exam questions on there that you can use so in that aspect its not great at all. The main point of snaprevise is to provide videos. From what i have seen on youtube, there are many free youtube videos that you can find from Machemguy, Allery Maths, E Rintoul and many more. All these teachers who make videos, do it a lot better than snaprevise and also do a lot of exam questions. I would say, don't be afraid of looking at videos from other exam boards because we learn pretty much the same stuff.

As for other revision material, the kerboodle books are good but other than that there isn't that much at the moment as its a new specification. For biology a lot of people use either youtube videos,kerboodle and other online websites. Take a look a tes.co.uk It is for teachers however there are a lot of free worksheets and exam questions you can do on there.

honestly the price of £60 is not worth the biology,chemistry or geography package
Original post by Appazap
With snaprevise, there aren't really a lot of exam questions on there that you can use so in that aspect its not great at all. The main point of snaprevise is to provide videos. From what i have seen on youtube, there are many free youtube videos that you can find from Machemguy, Allery Maths, E Rintoul and many more. All these teachers who make videos, do it a lot better than snaprevise and also do a lot of exam questions. I would say, don't be afraid of looking at videos from other exam boards because we learn pretty much the same stuff.

As for other revision material, the kerboodle books are good but other than that there isn't that much at the moment as its a new specification. For biology a lot of people use either youtube videos,kerboodle and other online websites. Take a look a tes.co.uk It is for teachers however there are a lot of free worksheets and exam questions you can do on there.

honestly the price of £60 is not worth the biology,chemistry or geography package

Thank you so much for the advice
Reply 6
I don't want to spark an argument but want to disagree, sorry :smile: I bought snaprevise for Biology (OCR) and Chemistry (Edexcel) in September (I'm in year 12) and have found it incredibly useful. I have achieved my target grades (A's) in nearly all of my end of unit tests. The videos match my learning style perfectly and were all updated recently and are much better in my opinion. They do provide videos full of exam questions (Ok, there still isn't a massive amount) and there is enough for me at the moment to supplement the questions in the textbook and other information from the textbook. They are admittedly overpriced (I agree with that) but I gave it a go and am glad that I personally found it worth the money. I also went to the very expensive lectures for Chemistry and Biology over the Christmas holidays which I found fantastic.

Overall, I have found no other resources and personally really like Snaprevise and am pleased with my purchase so far but I am very happy to accept that maybe other people don't like it as much (and your reasons are fair enough) but it seemed good enough to me. Hope your A-levels go well and that you can find a resource that suits you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Sam_C_
I don't want to spark an argument but want to disagree, sorry :smile: I bought snaprevise for Biology (OCR) and Chemistry (Edexcel) in September (I'm in year 12) and have found it incredibly useful. I have achieved my target grades (A's) in nearly all of my end of unit tests. The videos match my learning style perfectly and were all updated recently and are much better in my opinion. They do provide videos full of exam questions (Ok, there still isn't a massive amount) and there is enough for me at the moment to supplement the questions in the textbook and other information from the textbook. They are admittedly overpriced (I agree with that) but I gave it a go and am glad that I personally found it worth the money. I also went to the very expensive lectures for Chemistry and Biology over the Christmas holidays which I found fantastic.

Overall, I have found no other resources and personally really like Snaprevise and am pleased with my purchase so far but I am very happy to accept that maybe other people don't like it as much (and your reasons are fair enough) but it seemed good enough to me. Hope your A-levels go well and that you can find a resource that suits you :smile:

Thanks for the reply. Tbf It's not the worst thing in the world but if a whole course is costing around £60 it better work miracles which snaprevise for me and many other has failed to do. If it was free or £5-£10 fair enough but I think a lot of students like myself will be paying for this out of their own pocket and unless you're rich, I don't think it's worth it at all considering there are many YouTube videos that teach just as well.

But it's good it worked for you, do you have any other advice/resources for a level students to use?
Reply 8
Original post by Appazap
Thanks for the reply. Tbf It's not the worst thing in the world but if a whole course is costing around £60 it better work miracles which snaprevise for me and many other has failed to do. If it was free or £5-£10 fair enough but I think a lot of students like myself will be paying for this out of their own pocket and unless you're rich, I don't think it's worth it at all considering there are many YouTube videos that teach just as well.

But it's good it worked for you, do you have any other advice/resources for a level students to use?

I use:

https://alevelnotes.com/
https://www.chemguide.co.uk/
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/biology-revision/a-level-ocr-a/
https://revisionworld.com/a2-level-level-revision
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPtWS4fCi25YHw5SPGdPz0g

:smile:
Please do not buy from snaprevise. They are not a trustworthy company, first of all videos arent the best. Also their customer service is really bad. I rang in for an enquiry and left the call feeling hurt as the person who was speaking to me was rude and also raised his voice.The exam questions used arent great literally 1 or 2 questions per topics which is hardly anything! In my opinion use savemyexams.com, youre given many past papers that are organised into topics. Never again will i buy from snaprevise, spent over £100 and was not satisfied
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Appazap
Honestly the videos are not that good for their cost, they can potentially get you at least a C. For those looking for higher grades, a lot free resources are better.

If anybody has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer. I had ocr chemistry, biology and geography

completely agree, i also had ocr bio and chem, haven't used since AS - waste of money tbh
I agree, I spent £40 on it for Biology and Geography questions and they are not that great. The videos are better than reading from the textbook will give you that but they do oversimplify things and the that girl's voice is so annoying seriously, when she does the questions she writes like a paragraph for a 2 mark question "just in case". Haven't used it since January. Yeah it's a scam basically, YouTube has better and for free

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Appazap

Hi, I'm also studying geography (edexcel). What do you recommend are some good revision sites/videos?
is it paid for monthly or is the whole package £29.95?
Original post by selinaaaasim
is it paid for monthly or is the whole package £29.95?

for SnapRevise? It is £29.95 per course but it is good for two years, so for me it's still worth it.
Original post by Appazap

i tried snaprevise's free trial and it was terrible (for geography) the videos dragged and it was just a girl writing on a board? isnt that what i learn in school.

So i used Uplearn instead, i did the Economics course and got an A. they're WAY better!
Reply 16
Hi, my son used snap revise for GCSE 3 single sciences. Now doing biology and physics - OCR. What have you found in free resources that you feel could help?
Original post by preet1234
i tried snaprevise's free trial and it was terrible (for geography) the videos dragged and it was just a girl writing on a board? isnt that what i learn in school.

So i used Uplearn instead, i did the Economics course and got an A. they're WAY better!

I personally found Snaprevise pretty helpful and also originally bought the wrong course and their support team were friendly and only to happy to help.

Also, Preet, such a fake account mate. Pretty much all of your 25 posts are about how good Uplearn is. You can’t love it that much, you clearly just work for them. It's not fair to students on TSR to give fake reviews.
Do you mind me asking what resourses you use for geography and what exam board you did? I've really struggled to find an effective way to revise for goegraphy as I have stuggled to find good recourses!

Reply 19
omg, I do bio and chem how has it been! and what resources do u use?

Latest