The Student Room Group

Not accepting my unconditional offer

I got an unconditional offer from Bangor to do biology if i make it my first choice, but I don't want to accept it because I wasn't a big fan of the uni when I went on the open day and only put it down because I needed a 5th choice, but now i'm feeling pressured by my family to put it down as my first choice. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Tell them to wait until you have got all you offers then make a choice. You’re going by there, not your family and for 3-4 years. They should have some input but you shouldn’t make a decision 100% based on their opinion.
Are you going there or your family?

Keep that in mind when pressing anything on UCAS.
Don't put it as your first choice if it's not. They give unconditionals because they're desperate for students & the money that comes with students - there's been a fall in the number of 18 year olds this year and the government has made it far harder for them to recruit internationals.

So they give out unconditionals-if-you-firm to try to bribe students who really could do better to come to their uni instead.

Put as your first choice wherever you actually want to go. Chances are that - if on results day you end up with grades far lower than you expected - Bangor would happily take you anyway, even if you didn't firm it. They're that desperate for students.
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.
Original post by Fire And Fury
i've got an offer from Liverpool which is ABB, and the foundation year at Liverpool which is CCC, I am currently waiting on Warwick and East Anglia. I would much rather put Liverpool or Warwick as my firm, and the foundation year as my reserve, but my parents and siblings say that its risky and I should take the safe option.

It's not "risky" - it's called having ambition and not settling for the worst but easiest option.

Besides, this year has the lowest number of 18 year olds for ages. I can all but guarantee you that if you firm Liverpool and then miss your grades, Bangor would take you anyway on results day through clearing, even if you hadn't firmed/insuranced them.
Don't settle for a university that isn't as good, just because your parents & siblings are all risk-averse and have no ambition. Do what is best for you.
Unconditional if accepted offers are just a bribe don't accept it. Put your first choice as your first choice.
Original post by LeapingLucy
It's not "risky" - it's called having ambition and not settling for the worst but easiest option.

Besides, this year has the lowest number of 18 year olds for ages. I can all but guarantee you that if you firm Liverpool and then miss your grades, Bangor would take you anyway on results day through clearing, even if you hadn't firmed/insuranced them.

Also what he said, any university giving out unconditional if firmed is desperate for students. If the university wanted you specifically they would just give you an unconditional
Also, what are your predicted grades? If your preferred choices are doable, don't settle for less now. As others have said, you don't need to.
The likelihood is that Bangor is going to give you a space in clearing regardless if you apply there or not. It's not really an oversubscribed university.
Original post by Going Back
Also, what are your predicted grades? If your preferred choices are doable, don't settle for less now. As others have said, you don't need to.

Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Geography: B

They are not showing much confidence in you, are they?

You may not need the foundation year as a reserve. If you accept Liverpool (firm or insurance) they will, sure as eggs is eggs, allow you in to the foundation if you get CCC, through clearing.

So accept where you really want to go and work hard, and stuff it to your family.
With those grades, you don't need to firm Bangor.

There's no way you should be going to Bangor. You can do far better. Definitely firm Liverpool - to be honest, even if you ended up getting BBB or BBC, there's a high chance the Liverpool degree would take you anyway.

This year is a buyer's market for students given the drop in the number of 18 year olds. Ignore your parents and firm Liverpool. You'd be stupid not to.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Ignore your parents and firm Liverpool. You'd be stupid not to.

Or Warwick, if an offer emerges. Or, preferably, both in order of preference.

Unconditional-if-firm offers are the devil's spawn.
Thanks for all the advice, I will definitley not put Bangor as my firm and will pick either Liverpool or Warwick as instead.
Reply 17

Wait until you have heard from all of your choices. It is quite likely that you would get into Liverpool, even if you missed your offer, so whatever you do, DO NOT accept that Bangor one!

It is YOUR decision, not your family's!
(edited 5 years ago)

I understand that you've decided to not firm Bangor. As an aside however, if those are your predicted grades, you should easily get CCC and not need to go into clearing anyway.
Reply 19

Seriously, don't take their advice. What do they know?
In the unlikely event that you miss your offer, you could still go into clearing - possibly for that very course at Bangor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending