The Student Room Group

History NEA interpretations

okay so can anyone help explain to me how we are meant to interpret sources? I have found the extracts from historians I'm going to use but I'm unsure how much about tone we are meant to write about. My friend said we ought to mention the era they are writing in as it may affect their views, but that sounds more like what we are meant to do for a primary source to me?! I am genuinely so lost with coursework and I honestly don't understand how we are even meant to format it, any advice, not just on interpretations, would be amazing!!!
I'd say to evaluate the usefullness, taking into consideration who the author was - inc. their background, any bias they could have etc -; what the source says, how it conforms to you overall argument - does it comply, disagree, partially support?

I'm doing mine on the significance of the Presidency in the advancement of civil rights and i'm struggling to find historical extracts, can you help?
Reply 2
Original post by ExamJon54
I'd say to evaluate the usefullness, taking into consideration who the author was - inc. their background, any bias they could have etc -; what the source says, how it conforms to you overall argument - does it comply, disagree, partially support?

I'm doing mine on the significance of the Presidency in the advancement of civil rights and i'm struggling to find historical extracts, can you help?

Thank you! I actually found the BBC in our time discussions really useful- not sure if there is one available on your topic, but they cover a range of eras, so I would guess they probably do. Obviously you have to be very careful as it's an interview, but I took an extended answer from one of the academics, and after a few square brackets my lecturer said it was a extremely useful extract. I personally didn't want to spend money on my sources so I used my college and local library for books, I then quoted particular passages. My friend used entire chapters for hers though and it worked equally as well. Articles are also really useful, you can easily find an academic one if you type in key words into google and search through a few hahaha- hope this helps
If you'd like me to PM you a few paragraphs of my A-level coursework (I got 39/40) as an example, I'd be very happy to do so. My exam board was Edexcel though, so the requirements may be different.
And yes, I definitely talked about the context in which the authors were writing and how it might have influenced their views.
Reply 5
Original post by LeapingLucy
If you'd like me to PM you a few paragraphs of my A-level coursework (I got 39/40) as an example, I'd be very happy to do so. My exam board was Edexcel though, so the requirements may be different.

That would be so helpful thank you so much!

Would you be able to PM me this as well please?

Many thanks,
K
Original post by adeleprston
Thank you! I actually found the BBC in our time discussions really useful- not sure if there is one available on your topic, but they cover a range of eras, so I would guess they probably do. Obviously you have to be very careful as it's an interview, but I took an extended answer from one of the academics, and after a few square brackets my lecturer said it was a extremely useful extract. I personally didn't want to spend money on my sources so I used my college and local library for books, I then quoted particular passages. My friend used entire chapters for hers though and it worked equally as well. Articles are also really useful, you can easily find an academic one if you type in key words into google and search through a few hahaha- hope this helps

Great idea, thank you - will look at those soon.

Hi, sorry, realise I'm a bit late but could you do this for me too? Thanks
hey ! sorry if this is abit late (2 years late) but i have a question quite like this…. how did you find it in the end ???
Reply 10

Hi, would it be possible for you to share it with me as well? please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending