The Student Room Group

New £50 note will feature a British scientist - Make your nomination

The new £50 note will feature a prominent British scientist, the Bank of England has announced, with the public being asked for nominations.

In addition to the Queen, the note will include the portrait of an eminent late scientist from fields such as biology, astronomy and medical research.

The public can offer suggestions on the Bank's website over the next six weeks. There are currently 330 million £50 notes in circulation, with a combined value of £16.5bn, the Bank said.

The Bank's governor, Mark Carney, made the announcement at the Science Museum in London.

"There is a wealth of individuals whose work has shaped how we think about the world and who continue to inspire people today," he said.

"Our banknotes are an opportunity to celebrate the diversity of UK society and highlight the contributions of its greatest citizens."

Nominations can include anyone who worked in any field of science including astronomy, biology, bio-technology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, medical research, physics, technology or zoology, the Bank said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46063097

You can make a nomination here: https://app.keysurvey.co.uk/f/1348443/10fc/

Who do you think deserves a place on the £50 note? Who would you like to see there from the world of science?

Scroll to see replies

I think it will be a woman, the popilar vote will be for Hawking and I'd like it to be Turing.
Who uses £50 notes anyway other than criminals, doubt they are going to stop to appreciate the art work in between drug dealing
Thatcher.
Christ, we all know it's going to be some obscure woman.

It wouldn't matter if a man had invented time travel, we'd still end up with some lady who helped invent the flush mechanism on a toilet or something.
I'd guess one of Newton or Hawking as probably the two most famous British scientists.
gotta be Alan Turing.

Mr T is my hero :blush:
Richard Dawkins *tips fedora*
Original post by 999tigger
I think it will be a woman, the popilar vote will be for Hawking and I'd like it to be Turing.

Original post by That'sGreat
Christ, we all know it's going to be some obscure woman.

It wouldn't matter if a man had invented time travel, we'd still end up with some lady who helped invent the flush mechanism on a toilet or something.

With this in mind (a potential female candidate) then the obvious answer is Rosalind Franklin, who is probably the most important and renowned British female scientist. So definitely not obscure.

Personally, I would like to see it be Stephen Hawking or Alan Turing.
Original post by MrDystopia
With this in mind (a potential female candidate) then the obvious answer is Rosalind Franklin, who is probably the most important and renowned British female scientist. So definitely not obscure.

Personally, I would like to see it be Stephen Hawking or Alan Turing.

Any woman is obscure to that's great. They are all really worthy candidates.
Nominated Alan Turing, glad to see he'll be getting a few more nominations as well!

Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
I'd guess one of Newton or Hawking as probably the two most famous British scientists.

Newton was on the old £1 note way back; not sure if that disqualifies him from re-appearing on future currency, mind. You'd think he'd be worth a bit more than that. :p:
There used to be a time when people on money made a fundamental difference to society or were heroes to their nation.
Original post by LostAccount
There used to be a time when people on money made a fundamental difference to society or were heroes to their nation.

like scientists... don't?
Original post by LostAccount

We currently have Winston Churchill, Jane Austen, Adam Smith and Matthew Boulton/James Watt. All British icons of their respective fields. I'm not sure what time you're living in but those people definitely merit celebration. A scientist is equally the same (especially when you think of the calibre we have in Newton, Franklin, Turing, Hawking to name a few).
if it is a lady then Rachel Riley off of Countdown. she has done so much to stimulate interest in mathematics.
Reply 17
It will probably end up being Darwin
Original post by tim_72
It will probably end up being Darwin

He was on the £10 note prior to the new polymer ones being released.
Reply 19
Original post by AngryJellyfish
He was on the £10 note prior to the new polymer ones being released.

Right. Should've thought that such a celebrated scientist was already "moneyed".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending