The Student Room Group

Do You Use Independent Businesses?

Living in student cities, do you use the local, independent businesses that surround you?

Example: cafes, clubs, bars, hairdressers, taxi services (as opposed to Uber), speciality shops (confectionary, soap ect) - anything that is mostly unique to your university city... a few branches elsewhere still counts; so long as they are not your mass-chain organisations.

I'm really interested in gauging if independents thrive in uni towns (that are also often over-crowded with big brands); as where I am (York), independent businesses are the 'cool' places to go. Especially the 'unique' little stores.
Original post by EddyEagal
Living in student cities, do you use the local, independent businesses that surround you?

Example: cafes, clubs, bars, hairdressers, taxi services (as opposed to Uber), speciality shops (confectionary, soap ect) - anything that is mostly unique to your university city... a few branches elsewhere still counts; so long as they are not your mass-chain organisations.

I'm really interested in gauging if independents thrive in uni towns (that are also often over-crowded with big brands); as where I am (York), independent businesses are the 'cool' places to go. Especially the 'unique' little stores.

Except they can be much more expensive and not all students are flush with cash. Independent takeaway. Market. Newsagent.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Except they can be much more expensive and not all students are flush with cash. Independent takeaway. Market. Newsagent.

True.

Are these the one's you use?
True.

Are these the one's you use?

Some. I would have to think though. I like the market because its full of independent businesses. Most other independent businesses cant afford to be on the high street.
I use the local markets for fruit and veg. It is cheaper, but the only problem is that it doesn’t stay fresh as long as supermarket stuff, especially fruit.
I do a lot of craft work and materials from independent businesses are expensive, less choice and only carry small amounts of each item because of space, so tend to buy online or big stores like Hobbycraft.
Don’t eat out often, but prefer to use cafes run by locals.
Reply 5
Original post by Seamus123
I use the local markets for fruit and veg. It is cheaper, but the only problem is that it doesn’t stay fresh as long as supermarket stuff, especially fruit.
I do a lot of craft work and materials from independent businesses are expensive, less choice and only carry small amounts of each item because of space, so tend to buy online or big stores like Hobbycraft.
Don’t eat out often, but prefer to use cafes run by locals.

Interesting... I think this is the consensus amongst a lot of students. Small business is popular but sometimes just not affordable. These businesses would really benefit from bringing down their prices a bit for students.
Cafes, restaurants, clubs, bars, all definitely. I think it's helped by a lot of the cafes and restaurants in my city being run created by alumni of the universities, and they'll still have networks which touch onto the university, and otherwise they'll know their audience due to the university's dominant position in the area.

It also helps that they're not necessarily too expensive.
Reply 7
Original post by Helloworld_95
Cafes, restaurants, clubs, bars, all definitely. I think it's helped by a lot of the cafes and restaurants in my city being run created by alumni of the universities, and they'll still have networks which touch onto the university, and otherwise they'll know their audience due to the university's dominant position in the area.

It also helps that they're not necessarily too expensive.

Thanks for getting back :smile:

I definitely think the business types you've named are probably very popular with students. I wonder how these small businesses feel competing against bigger brand restaurants?

We have farmers' markets on campus that sell food, and I get haircuts in a small place. Everything else I would use comes from a big company - food from supermarkets, transport from TfL (I completely avoid taxis and Uber), electronics from Apple and everything else on Amazon. Maybe some pubs would count as small businesses if they're not Wetherspoon etc. - though I don't go to many at London prices :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending