The Student Room Group

English and Drama?

Is anyone applying to study English and Theatre this year? If so, which unis are you applying to and what are your predicted grades etc., have you got offers yet?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucymwevans
Is anyone applying to study English and Theatre this year? If so, which unis are you applying to and what are your predicted grades etc., have you got offers yet?

Hey :hello:

How are you getting on with this?

I studied Drama at Loughborough Uni a few years ago. Highly recommend. Also had UWE and Bath Spa on my list.

Have you made any provisional decisions yet? Been to open days? Tell me all about it :tongue:
Heyy, I am also applying for English and Drama. SO pleased to talk to someone who also is as not many are doing it at my school! Where are you applying? have you applied? any offers? please tell all!!! I have applied to Brimingam, Exeter, Manchester, UEA and Leeds. I have got offers from Birmingham and Leeds and have been invited to Audion at UEA and interview at Manchester... I am terrified for these, particularly UEA as i have to prepare a monologue and the audtion is 40 minuites one on one with an academic (how scary) ******** myself! Not heard from exter tho :frown: xx
Reply 3
Original post by SallyMustang
Hey :hello:

How are you getting on with this?

I studied Drama at Loughborough Uni a few years ago. Highly recommend. Also had UWE and Bath Spa on my list.

Have you made any provisional decisions yet? Been to open days? Tell me all about it :tongue:

Hey so i’ve been to open days at warwick, bristol, birmingham, leeds and exeter and applied to Warwick, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds and UEA. My favourites are Warwick and Bristol! Haven’t heard back from Bristol yet but I have an interview at Warwick, audition at UEA and offers from Leeds and Sheffield!
Reply 4
Original post by holly24601
Heyy, I am also applying for English and Drama. SO pleased to talk to someone who also is as not many are doing it at my school! Where are you applying? have you applied? any offers? please tell all!!! I have applied to Brimingam, Exeter, Manchester, UEA and Leeds. I have got offers from Birmingham and Leeds and have been invited to Audion at UEA and interview at Manchester... I am terrified for these, particularly UEA as i have to prepare a monologue and the audtion is 40 minuites one on one with an academic (how scary) ******** myself! Not heard from exter tho :frown: xx

Hey so i’ve been to open days at Warwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds and Exeter and applied to Warwick, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds and UEA. My favourites are Warwick and Bristol! Haven’t heard back from Bristol yet but I have an interview at Warwick, audition at UEA and offers from Leeds and Sheffield! I’m nervous for the audition too - but just find a monologue you’re comfortable with and make sure you have something to say about everything on your personal statement. I’m sure they’ll want you as a student - so just think of it as a friendly chat with someone who knows the subject area well. Which is your favourite? Xx
Hey so i’ve been to open days at Warwick, Bristol, Birmingham, Leeds and Exeter and applied to Warwick, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds and UEA. My favourites are Warwick and Bristol! Haven’t heard back from Bristol yet but I have an interview at Warwick, audition at UEA and offers from Leeds and Sheffield! I’m nervous for the audition too - but just find a monologue you’re comfortable with and make sure you have something to say about everything on your personal statement. I’m sure they’ll want you as a student - so just think of it as a friendly chat with someone who knows the subject area well. Which is your favourite? Xx

I would be happy at any of my choices tbh- probs not UEA but idk, i love exter and manchester tho! Love leeds aswll and I got a reasonable offer (36) so no too bad.. what are you predicted and what subjects do you take? xx
Hey so i’ve been to open days at warwick, bristol, birmingham, leeds and exeter and applied to Warwick, Bristol, Sheffield, Leeds and UEA. My favourites are Warwick and Bristol! Haven’t heard back from Bristol yet but I have an interview at Warwick, audition at UEA and offers from Leeds and Sheffield!

Oh brilliant! Warwick is meant to be really, really good. In fact, all of those are excellent choices. Do they all have really amazing performance spaces and such?

Any ideas on audition pieces? Would be interested to know in general.
Reply 7
Original post by holly24601
I would be happy at any of my choices tbh- probs not UEA but idk, i love exter and manchester tho! Love leeds aswll and I got a reasonable offer (36) so no too bad.. what are you predicted and what subjects do you take? xx

I take English Lit (predicted A), Drama (A*) and maths (A*) , and offer from leeds is AAA. Are you after more performance drama or the theoretical? Xx
Reply 8
Original post by SallyMustang
Oh brilliant! Warwick is meant to be really, really good. In fact, all of those are excellent choices. Do they all have really amazing performance spaces and such?

Any ideas on audition pieces? Would be interested to know in general.

No i’m so stuck on audition pieces, but i’m doing monologues for a level so may just use that. I’m pretty sure they all have good performances spaces, the ones i’ve visited certainly do. Warwick or Bristol is probably my favourite course but i’m worried about Warwick being a bit of an isolated campus (not much going on near it, nightlife etc.) x
Hey! I have applied for Drama and English courses at Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds. Have had offers from Leeds and Birmingham and an interview at Manchester. Exeter is definitely my top choice, I think the course there is so good and I absolutely loved the facilities. My application for Bristol was put on hold, so slightly worried about that but I'm sure it's normal.

My A Level predicted grades are Drama (A*), Philosophy (A) and English Lit (A). Has anyone else received any more offers? I am so happy to have found people doing the same course because it's not very common! x
Our applications are so similar omg!! The only difference is that you're UAE and I'm Bristol, but we literally have the same offers / interviews so far. Makes me so happy to be talking to someone who is in the same boat, because like you, no one at my school is doing this course! xxx
Original post by tildaa_188
Hey! I have applied for Drama and English courses at Exeter, Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds. Have had offers from Leeds and Birmingham and an interview at Manchester. Exeter is definitely my top choice, I think the course there is so good and I absolutely loved the facilities. My application for Bristol was put on hold, so slightly worried about that but I'm sure it's normal.

My A Level predicted grades are Drama (A*), Philosophy (A) and English Lit (A). Has anyone else received any more offers? I am so happy to have found people doing the same course because it's not very common! x

Hey! Firstly, my application for Bristol was put on hold too and it’s one of my favourites - I wouldn’t worry about it I think it’s just one of those courses which wait for all the applications before they make any decisions. No more offers yet though, but i’m really nervous for my interview and audition! Keep me updated on offers etc! X
Yeah, I'm sure Bristol is just waiting to receive all of its applicants! Good luck with your audition, tell me how it goes :smile: What piece do you think you're going to do? x
Original post by tildaa_188
Our applications are so similar omg!! The only difference is that you're UAE and I'm Bristol, but we literally have the same offers / interviews so far. Makes me so happy to be talking to someone who is in the same boat, because like you, no one at my school is doing this course! xxx

Thats so crazy, we are applying to such similar places.. My higher level subjects are theatre, english and philosophy so we are taking the same subejects as well! What are you looking for in the places you have applied, what is your favorite? xx
I take English Lit (predicted A), Drama (A*) and maths (A*) , and offer from leeds is AAA. Are you after more performance drama or the theoretical? Xx

I am more after practical than theoretical, wbu? xx
Whoa that's so cool that we have such similar subjects! In the places I've applied, I am definitely looking for a more practical based approach to Drama and I also want a campus uni. What about you? So Exeter is my top choice - what is yours? I just got invited to a workshop at Exeter for the 5th December, but I live abroad so I'm not sure if I will be able to make it. :/
Has anyone heard from Exeter for English and Drama? I still haven't heard back and I'm starting to get a bit worried!
Original post by a_levels_188
Has anyone heard from Exeter for English and Drama? I still haven't heard back and I'm starting to get a bit worried!

I’m the parent and attended the Dec 11th audition/ interview but we have heard nothing since either so don’t panic. I think that there were more auditions scheduled for Jan too. Best of luck
Original post by Asianparent
I’m the parent and attended the Dec 11th audition/ interview but we have heard nothing since either so don’t panic. I think that there were more auditions scheduled for Jan too. Best of luck

Thank you so much - that's a relief!
Original post by a_levels_188

Hi- NO I HAVENT EITHER, i am also panicking!!!! I am pleased to know someone esle hasnt heard, do they normally take a long time? Have you been invited to interview? Cause I interviewed on the 10th of December and have heard nothing since x

Quick Reply

Latest