The Student Room Group

Sexism in the house

I’m a 17 year old girl In full time education who does the household duties while my older brother plays on his xbox.
When I’m busy and tired I’m told to do the cleaning even though my brother is doing nothing but shooting at zombies and playing fifa? Is this right?

Should I be made to do the household duties just because I am a girl?

Scroll to see replies

What have your parents said when you bring it up?
It might just be that your parents think you’re more responsible, but yeah I get the same thing at home with my brothers☺️
Reply 3
It's not fair or reasonable to ask you to do household stuff and not ask your brother to do the same amount. I'd have a conversation with your parents about splitting chores equally and stress the impact it's having on you. If they fail to make sure that he does his fair share, don't do yours.
Reply 4
Original post by Student-95
What have your parents said when you bring it up?

They say that it’s up to them who does what or they’ll say that they’ll send me back to Africa so I learn the hard way
Original post by Anonymous
They say that it’s up to them who does what or they’ll say that they’ll send me back to Africa so I learn the hard way

I know I shouldn't be laughing but LOOOOOOOOOL. But does your older brother not even have a job?
Reply 6
Original post by katf
It's not fair or reasonable to ask you to do household stuff and not ask your brother to do the same amount. I'd have a conversation with your parents about splitting chores equally and stress the impact it's having on you. If they fail to make sure that he does his fair share, don't do yours.

My parents don’t even listen to what I have to say when it comes to splitting them equally. Unfortunately if I didn’t do my chores I’d be severely punished so I guess I have to suck it up until i move out but I think it’s so disgusting and morally wrong that I’m assigned with chores just because of my gender. I get that my parents are teaching me life skills but they’re also teaching my brother that it’s completely fine to laze around on his xbox as long as there is a female there to do the cleaning and cooking, it’s also teaching him that it’s okay to be sexist ( I asked my brother if it’s right that a woman does household duties because of her gender and he even said yes, SMH)
Reply 7
Original post by Lemonadez
I know I shouldn't be laughing but LOOOOOOOOOL. But does your older brother not even have a job?

It’s that ridiculous that I don’t even blame you for laughing 😭 we both have jobs but I’m still doing more then him
Reply 8
Honestly, all I can say is that you will have to put up with it until you leave the house for good...
Your parents are most likely not going to change and i also don't think you want to move out of the house (aswell that doesn't sound like an option).
The best you can do is teach your kids (if you decide to have them) that men and women both have an equal responibility in and outside of the home.
Reply 9
Original post by TJ149
Honestly, all I can say is that you will have to put up with it until you leave the house for good...
Your parents are most likely not going to change and i also don't think you want to move out of the house (aswell that doesn't sound like an option).
The best you can do is teach your kids (if you decide to have them) that men and women both have an equal responibility in and outside of the home.

I leave for uni I’m 2 years but I wanted to take a gap year so I guess three years. I’m definitely gonna teach my kids how important equality is and that no one should ever make them feel that they have to do a certain role just because of their gender.

Should I be made to do the household duties just because I am a girl?

Yes
Original post by Joel 96
Yes

That’s a disgusting mindset to have. May God bless your soul and guide you out of this darkness that you are currently in.
That’s a disgusting mindset to have. May God bless your soul and guide you out of this darkness that you are currently in.

Lol?

Girls have the role of care in society. Sure, men should help too, but it’s their primary role and always has been.
Are you Asian...
It’s that ridiculous that I don’t even blame you for laughing 😭 we both have jobs but I’m still doing more then him

To be perfectly honest, there's nothing to do IF you have talked to your parents multiple times and they still don't change their views. A plus side that both of you have jobs. Just be patient, don't let it get to your head. Wait until university and you'll be at an advantage cos of all of the responsibilities you have right now. Good luck!
Original post by Joel 96
Lol?

Girls have the role of care in society. Sure, men should help too, but it’s their primary role and always has been.

So make a change then! A female goes through a lot more then what a male goes through but still we have to do everything, it’s a joke. This kinda sexism is why I’ve constantly thought of killing myself, if my role on this earth to be discriminated against and objectified then I honestly don’t want to live.
So make a change then! A female goes through a lot more then what a male goes through but still we have to do everything, it’s a joke. This kinda sexism is why I’ve constantly thought of killing myself, if my role on this earth to be discriminated against and objectified then I honestly don’t want to live.

Oh boohoo. The suicidal ideation sub-culture won’t be taken seriously here. Women’s role as carers is well-documented and there for a reason. Pushing women for careers was a mistake and has alienated children, as well as women.
No that does not seem fair. A more equal split would clearly be fairer.
Original post by Joel 96
Oh boohoo. The suicidal ideation sub-culture won’t be taken seriously here. Women’s role as carers is well-documented and there for a reason. Pushing women for careers was a mistake and has alienated children, as well as women.

Why was it a mistake?
Original post by Chief Wiggum
No that does not seem fair. A more equal split would clearly be fairer.

Try telling my parents that😭

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending