The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Buch777
My school is offering the Gold D of E for £420 and I’m wondering if it’s worth it for my university application?

Presumably you have done Silver already? Anyway, I honestly wouldn't bother unless it's something *you* enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Buch777
I’m currently in Year 12 and I want to go on to do medicine. I got 9A*s at GCSE (6 9s, 3 8s) and I did little volunteering over the summer. I plan to volunteer at a charity shop, care home or hospital starting in the October half term.
My school is offering the Gold D of E for £420 and I’m wondering if it’s worth it for my university application?

omg I got the same GCSE grades as you and i also volunteered at a charity shop over summer
This isn't really about the timeline as such, but about my A-Level choices. I have Biology, Chemistry and Health and social care which is a Level 3 Cambridge Technical... (Predicted A*A Distinction (hoping for D*) but am I allowed to apply with Health care? I was going to do French but my school didn't offer it and I wasn't allowed to do the school partnership (go to a different school) because I was 'too late' even though I wasn't... Anyway my careers advisor said it would be fine and he even called imperial and asked and they said any third subject, but I am having doubts! Because most people think it is a subject for 'dumb' people even though I am working really hard in all 3 to try and achieve the best grades. I mainly got 7's in GCSE with 2 6's and a 5 (Maths.) so I know must people will think I can't do it, but I am very hardworking and I already getting work experience and I have a part-time job all with still studying/practising French on the side!! Sorry for the massive rant, but will I be able to do it?! I have been wanting to study this for a while and it's all that I have been hoping for!!!!
Is it recommended to undertake a medicine course during the 2nd year of pharmacology or is it worth it to finish the 3 year pharmacology course and get a job instead of spending a total of 7 years at university?
Hi! I'm currently in y12 and im looking to study medicine at uni.

When should I be looking to take the UKCAT or other aptitude tests?

any help would be great, thankyou
:smile:)
i already do hospital volunteering and i went to a pre-med course at imperial college london, and in the summer im working at a nursing home for a week... is there a need to anymore for my personal statement? is there anything else i can do? i might also go to nepal to do some hospital voulnterring. Also i dont have any extra cirrcluars, any advice for someone whos not very sporty?
Original post by shreya kc
i already do hospital volunteering and i went to a pre-med course at imperial college london, and in the summer im working at a nursing home for a week... is there a need to anymore for my personal statement? is there anything else i can do? i might also go to nepal to do some hospital voulnterring. Also i dont have any extra cirrcluars, any advice for someone whos not very sporty?

How did you find the Pre-med course? My dd is going on a 2 week premed course to Thailand in July
Original post by AlphaDog2526
Is it recommended to undertake a medicine course during the 2nd year of pharmacology or is it worth it to finish the 3 year pharmacology course and get a job instead of spending a total of 7 years at university?

I would recommend switching to Medicine now, before you've spent anymore time (and money) on a degree you don't want.
It's up to you but if you truly want to do medicine, it's worth it.

Also I worked in a pharmacy and all the pharmacists said not to go into it... I think medicine would be more rewarding, as well.
I was thinking of applying for medicine at Aberdeen, St Andrews, Glasgow and then gateway to medicine at either St Andrews or Aberdeen since I fit the criteria for entrance, is this okay or is it looked down upon to sign up to both a medicine course and a gateway to medicine course at the same university? Thank you!
Original post by 5thchild
How did you find the Pre-med course? My dd is going on a 2 week premed course to Thailand in July

2 weeks in thailand! that sounds so fun!. mine was just for a day at the univeristy. it was interesting and very informative. i even got to sew up some skin which was pretty hard tbh xD, but i got the hang of it.
Original post by Alice&&dd
Hi I’m hoping to do medicine too! What sort of extra medical stuff is everyone doing? I did some work experience over the summer and have started volunteering at a hospital and care home, but is there anything else I should be doing, knowing that medicine is notorious difficult to get into

Hi Alice, my son is studying medicine at Oxford, here is some stuff you can do
Join St John Ambulance, do peer educator (you will be able to give talks to young cadets about strokes etc)
Enter medical essay competitions (Robinson college, Peterhouse and sometimes Corpus Christi, Cambridge run these)
Go to Cambridge medical masterclass (£20) for Y 12 - email the team to be put in "alerts" list
Attend Cambridge science medical festival in March (look in Feb and book some free lectures) you can go round medical lab and maybe even see empty hosp theatre)
apply to medical lab (google local med school then "research projects")
Join local medical school library using ID and letter from parents - can't borrow books but can download all the cutting edge articles for free
Listen to radio 4 in morning as they sometimes feature latest medical breakthroughs
Read student BMJ
Hope this helps and best of luck
(Original post by shreya kc)2 weeks in thailand! that sounds so fun!. mine was just for a day at the univeristy. it was interesting and very informative. i even got to sew up some skin which was pretty hard tbh xD, but i got the hang of it.

She will get to shadow Drs in 7 different hospitals
From what I have gathered they are both completely different from each other and only some universities take each one.
Should I take both or is that not necessary? If not how do I go about picking which one to do?
Also a have a few general questions about these exams:
Is there any actual content to learn or is it just past papers? If this is the case where can I get a study guide that will teach me everything I need to know?
When should I take these exams? (I’m current year 12 so looking to go to uni in 2020)
Also how do universities know your score once you have done it? Is it sent to them or something or is there a bit you fill in on UCAS?
Thanks 🙂
What universities have you guys been thinking of applying to? It was recommended to me that you only apply to one that requires BMAT as you won't get the results before you send off the application, but that really narrows it down, for example that's just destroyed so many people I know's plans to apply to Oxford/Cambridge, UCL, imperial etc. Kings, Queen Mary's and Edinburgh still look good though
If I was to apply for 5 in the uk, would I be able to apply to as many others as I want outside of the country?
Well you can only apply to 4 UK medical schools in one UCAS cycle. However, you can apply to some private ones such as buckingham without ucas I believe.
Regarding other countries, I think a lot do not have a cap on the amount of universities you apply to.
Thank you 👍🏻🙂
Original post by El_1999
HELP I’ve got myself in a bit of mess...

I got my a-level results in the summer and achieved AAA in chemistry, maths and psychology (currently in a gap year).

I thought I wanted to do pharmacy and that’s what I’ve applied for but after doing work experience in a gp surgery and a pharmacy I’ve realised that what I really want is to do medicine..

What are my chances of getting in if I abandon pharmacy and apply next year for medicine (2020 entry) ?
I intend to spend my gap year gaining more experience and have already gained experience in a hospital, pharmacy and gp surgery??

THANKS!!

Congratulations any tips on how to get an A in chemistry x I seem to be underachieving
My name is peter zacharia from Tanzania I need to study diploma in medicine

Latest

Trending

Trending