The Student Room Group

St Andrews or Edinburgh or Leeds for Comp Sci

I want to study comp sci at degree level, but i dont know which uni to apply to out of these three. please could y'all give me your rankings of these unis specifically for comp sci with 1 being best choice and 3 being worst. a little explanation if possible would also be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!
Original post by Mo Haf
I want to study comp sci at degree level, but i dont know which uni to apply to out of these three. please could y'all give me your rankings of these unis specifically for comp sci with 1 being best choice and 3 being worst. a little explanation if possible would also be greatly appreciated
Thanks!!

Have you visited either of them? They're very different locations.

Not to mention the differences between the Scottish vs English degree structure (4-year BSc vs 3-year BSc)

Look at the modules and see which one appeals to you as well - I sense that StA and Edin's CS degrees are more mathematical than Leeds.

Moved to Computer Science and IT
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
I haven't visited either as they're too far away from me however on the league tables St Andrews is better than Edinburgh but whenever I ask actual people they always tell me to apply Edinburgh over St Andrews when I'd been under the impression that st Andrews was better and more prestigious? But then in the UK it seems that case but worldwide it seems Edinburgh. I really don't know which would be better. The only thing I do know is idI probably prefer Edinburgh as a place as st Andrews apparently had no halal food. I just wanna make sure I apply to the correct university for computer science to make the very most out of my degree and university I go to. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi there,
I've been to both Edinburgh and St Andrews open days for computing, i dont know anything about leeds so cant help you there, sorry. Edinburgh actually does an informatics/computing course rather than a computing course so it's slightly different than st andrews. It just depends which content you prefer (look at the course contents for both and compare) I personally prefer st andrews as it seems less maths-based than edinburgh (while of course, still having maths in it) and focuses more on the parts of computing id rather do but it really depends on the person. I dont think one is better than the other, it's just which one suits you better (imo, they're the best ones for computing in scotland along with glasgow uni). I would say that st andrews is a pretty small town if thats not what you're into, you may prefer edinburgh. i hope this was helpful, if you have any questions about what ive said, let me know :smile:
Reply 4
hi thank you so much for the detailed response. just wondering though, what exactly do you mean by Informatics/computing as opposed to just computing?

Quick Reply

Latest