The Student Room Group

Awful video showing Grenfell tower model in a bonfire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by randomsheep11
Everyone finds different things funny. Don't act like you never have joked about the misfortune of others. People find cancer jokes funny. People find rape jokes funny. People find poverty jokes funny. People find paedophilia jokes funny.

And guess what, people are allowed to find whatever they want funny, even if it's not nice at all. We can't police "humour".

This clearly isn't a hate crime, as i don't believe those at the bonfire intended their little event to spread so much on the internet.

I don't think I ever have joked about the misfortune of others, but I guess I can agree that different people find different things funny. My questions was WHAT ,specifically, is funny about it.

Supposing it was a little event: it was still an event, meaning that there were people who voluntarily came to this event, knew what was going on and joked about a sensitive issue. Proving this kind of activity goes on. I'm sure there more people who have done such despicable things. Can you see why a lot of us find it offensive?
It's not funny and we can only wonder where the idea came from but to have the PM asked for an opinion and a public debate on it is lending it too much importance. PM should have just referred the soppy press to the relevant governmental department.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Funny in a morbid way

no surprise coming from the guy who thinks slavery is ok
saw the pics and vid and yeah, that's why I dont celebrate bonfire night like i used to. full of arson, cant do it anymore lol.
Original post by RazzzBerries
I don't think I ever have joked about the misfortune of others, but I guess I can agree that different people find different things funny. My questions was WHAT ,specifically, is funny about it.

Supposing it was a little event: it was still an event, meaning that there were people who voluntarily came to this event, knew what was going on and joked about a sensitive issue. Proving this kind of activity goes on. I'm sure there more people who have done such despicable things. Can you see why a lot of us find it offensive?

I can see why you find it offensive. It IS offensive.

But guess what, in some parts of the world (and tbh certain communities in the UK) people find homosexuality offensive. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to start criminalising homosexuals just because these people find it "offensive" and "despicable".

Don't you get it?

And if you were to ask why Grenfell Tower could be seen as funny, well it's probably something similar to why some people find 911 funny?
Original post by RazzzBerries
I'm sure there more people who have done such despicable things

yes. you dont want to know what i've seen get set on fire on bonfire night(s)...:noway: lol
@gjd800 you celebrate bonfire night?
I can see why you find it offensive. It IS offensive.

But guess what, in some parts of the world (and tbh certain communities in the UK) people find homosexuality offensive. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to start criminalising homosexuals just because these people find it "offensive" and "despicable".

Don't you get it?

And if you were to ask why Grenfell Tower could be seen as funny, well it's probably something similar to why some people find 911 funny?

This story does bring up interesting debate about what us funny.
Surely anything can be comedy, it’s just about knowing your audience. Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr are examples.

Regardless, the issue here is not so much it was a joke about people dying but rather the effort they put into it.
I don’t see how mocking people who would have been in great agony as they died horrifically is an any way amusing. The effigy is no doubt disgusting and disrespectful but I’m not sure it should be classed as hate crime. Upsetting and insensitive, yes.
Evil people.
Original post by rainclouds-
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6354559/Shameless-group-laugh-mock-burn-home-model-Grenfell-Tower.html

Is it funny?
Do you think spreading the video was a good idea or should it be removed immediately from the Internet?
Do you think it should be labelled as a crime?

Should it be a crime? Well yeah if we want to turn into Russia or China.If however you actually want to preserve some semblance of freedom of speech then no it shouldn't be.
Well the whole of Bonfire Night celebrates the torture, and then hanging, drawing and quartering (look up what that involves, the suffering was indescribable) of Guy Fawkes and the other plotters. And this has been done, every twelve months, for 413 years.

I’d call THAT “hate speech” wouldn’t you?
Reply 32
Original post by Bang Outta Order
@gjd800 you celebrate bonfire night?

Nope.
Someone burnt an effigy of BoJo… yay!
Oh boo boo, if they want to act like that let them, why should you care, do you really think that’ll do anything to change there behaviour, they’ll get there karma, nothing else is needed
I'm more concerned about the rabid authoritarian expansion of what constitutes "hate speech" nowadays if this is a crime simply because a majority of people there were minorities.

Soon criticising London as a city will constitute a hate crime because it shares the same quality.
Glad to know finally they have made some arrests in the Grenfell Tower fire case.
Of course the irony here is that, without the army of offended people on whichever social media platform this was posted to, it would almost certainly never have come to the attention of anyone personally affected by the Grenfell tragedy. Would be interesting to argue that those who contributed to its spread have done rather more to cause distress than those who participated, thinking it wouldn't travel beyond the confines of the garden they were in...
Everyone finds different things funny. Don't act like you never have joked about the misfortune of others. People find cancer jokes funny. People find rape jokes funny. People find poverty jokes funny. People find paedophilia jokes funny.

And guess what, people are allowed to find whatever they want funny, even if it's not nice at all. We can't police "humour".

This clearly isn't a hate crime, as i don't believe those at the bonfire intended their little event to spread so much on the internet.

So what even it was meant to spread around? Still no crime They shouldn't let the libtards charge them with a fictitious crime when they have nothing illegal
Whoever filmed and then uploaded that video has about 3 brain cells. Don't upload something like that online and then be surprised when you get a massive backlash. Whilst I do think what they did was horrendous and that they should suffer the consequences of their actions, even if just for pure stupidity, getting Scotland Yard, the prime minister etc involved is a bit of an overreaction. There is a huge amount of crime, particularly knife attacks, that are happening in London right now. My own suburban, middle class area has been hit with a wave of crime recently as well. I'd much rather the government did something to tackle those situations, the actual, physical acts of violent crime, than use resources for this.

Quick Reply