The Student Room Group

An economic's students 2nd year (GYG 2018-19)

Scroll to see replies

Day 23 17.10.18

Embracing the awkwardness

So I had my 9am class today which I ended up being a tad late (arriving 9.05 or something as I don't like being there so early. Crazy when just a few years ago I had to be in for school at 8am...). Independence does that to you! It was a good class anyway and I have a really good teacher - Macro II.
10-11 I had a financial markets class and again, I like the teacher. What sucks a bit is that people don't answer questions! It's just awkward for me (as I don't feel appropriate to answer every question) and the teacher obviously.
11-1 was the econometrics lecture and I had a bit of a surprise for everyone in the break (inlcluding my uni friends). I finally had to 'man up' and it was really now or never with my whole get a picture for competition thing. Anyway, so in the break I just went up to the lecturer and asked her if I could do a shoutout for teaching, lol, and she was really nice and said yeah. I was also like I need a pic as evidence if you can help me out with that and she was really fine with that too. Finally, she even got everyone to be quit for me to do a little talk and prepare everyone for the photo (which she took) and it turned out great. I was really worried everyone would be hating me for whatever random reason, but the level of support I saw was remarkable and I think it's going to take a while for this positivity to ware off.
Also, good news is my Short Term brand ambassador colleague got back to me, finally, and now we can prepare an event :redface:.
Have to go to the Student Union and figure out how the heck I get a table for that event tho, so that should be interesting...Nevertheless, good experience.
Good news is... I only need to leave by 12 noon tomorrow, so free time :biggrin:
Original post by pereira325
Day 23 17.10.18

Embracing the awkwardness

So I had my 9am class today which I ended up being a tad late (arriving 9.05 or something as I don't like being there so early. Crazy when just a few years ago I had to be in for school at 8am...). Independence does that to you! It was a good class anyway and I have a really good teacher - Macro II.
10-11 I had a financial markets class and again, I like the teacher. What sucks a bit is that people don't answer questions! It's just awkward for me (as I don't feel appropriate to answer every question) and the teacher obviously.
11-1 was the econometrics lecture and I had a bit of a surprise for everyone in the break (inlcluding my uni friends). I finally had to 'man up' and it was really now or never with my whole get a picture for competition thing. Anyway, so in the break I just went up to the lecturer and asked her if I could do a shoutout for teaching, lol, and she was really nice and said yeah. I was also like I need a pic as evidence if you can help me out with that and she was really fine with that too. Finally, she even got everyone to be quit for me to do a little talk and prepare everyone for the photo (which she took) and it turned out great. I was really worried everyone would be hating me for whatever random reason, but the level of support I saw was remarkable and I think it's going to take a while for this positivity to ware off.
Also, good news is my Short Term brand ambassador colleague got back to me, finally, and now we can prepare an event :redface:.
Have to go to the Student Union and figure out how the heck I get a table for that event tho, so that should be interesting...Nevertheless, good experience.
Good news is... I only need to leave by 12 noon tomorrow, so free time :biggrin:

The GNP of a country is forecast to grow at 3% per annum and its population is
expected to grow at 2% per annum. GNP is currently $20,000 million and the
population is 8 million, giving a GNP per capita of $2500. When will the GNP per
capita reach $3000?
(Hint: assuming continuous growth, the GNP in t years time is 20000e
0.03t
and the
population is 8e
0.02t
)
An investment of £1 million increases by r% at the end of each year (based upon the
value at the start of that year) and after 10 years it is worth £2 million. Find the value of
r.
Hint: unlike the previous two questions, this one assumes that the value increases in
steps rather than continuously. Remember that adding x% is equivalent to multiplying
by (1 + x/100)
Original post by anythinggoeshe
The GNP of a country is forecast to grow at 3% per annum and its population is
expected to grow at 2% per annum. GNP is currently $20,000 million and the
population is 8 million, giving a GNP per capita of $2500. When will the GNP per
capita reach $3000?
(Hint: assuming continuous growth, the GNP in t years time is 20000e
0.03t
and the
population is 8e
0.02t
)
An investment of £1 million increases by r% at the end of each year (based upon the
value at the start of that year) and after 10 years it is worth £2 million. Find the value of
r.
Hint: unlike the previous two questions, this one assumes that the value increases in
steps rather than continuously. Remember that adding x% is equivalent to multiplying
by (1 + x/100)

You need help on these questions?
The hint for 5.2 looks enough if you know that GNP pc is GNP/Population
The second is compound interest and you could use a table to help solve it or there could actually be a formula for that.
Day 24 18.10.18

Not a huge amount that happened today and right now I don't feel too good because my eyes are a bit jacked up.

Had a late start this morning (first class at 1pm) and I didn't really do anything in that morning time which was useful so yeah. Procrastination is still rife. However, there is always a bit of slack with university as there are so few things that are compulsory.

Anyways, so class at 1-2pm, lecture 2-4pm (which was packed out as the lecturer doesn't record his ones) and then I went to pick up my new glasses. Interesting note is that allegedly my prescription has changed even though the power on the lenses hasn't (people with glasses will get this). Anyway, it's something else and the optiican said I needed new glasses.
So I got my new glasses and my eyes feel messed up atm as I can see clearly yet it's dodgy at the same time. So I really think I'll be heading off to sleep soon, which would set Friday and the weekend of to a good start. I do have quite a bit of work to do this Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon and it's really now or never as the workload from uni is about to ramp up significantly because there are some groupwork projects and mid-term exams for this semester's modules which will be coming up in about 2 weeks. So yeah, time to be a bit more serious.
Emily, thanks for being the first to comment on here. You've moved to my favourite TSR person :tongue: (not that I actually had a favourite TSR person before).

My freshers week was last week and I actually attended no events, since I live at "home" ish and pretty much all of the events seemed to be ending at like 2am, which was a no-no.

First year is completely new so I'm not surprised you're wobbling a bit... I'm sure you'll be steady on your feet very soon though.

I think I'm feeling well, and have high hopes- so yes, it's a great start.

And, as an economics student I can confirm there's a 99.9% chance you're making it into second year. So, don't fret, and rock on in Leeds.

This might win an award for the latest reply EVER! I'm so sorry I've just been so all over the place (think I was ill when you wrote this reply and I just lost it in a swarm of notifications!) But I've just been catching up on your blog and It's looking a lot more lively than last time I was around here!

Your schedule seems so so busy but it's great to see how you're keeping up with things! I also need to transfer my schedule to something a bit more readable like a spreadsheet :lol:

I presume second year freshers week is a bit less manic than first year? And I'm a little more on my feet now thank goodness!

I think I'll just about make it to second year, I've got a couple of grades back now and I'm not off to a terrible start so that's good! :teehee:

Hope you're doing well!
Day 30 24.10.18

Does the exact day matter?

Last update I made was a while ago...well- I can't say I can't do the maths. 6 days. Blimey!
The main reason is I suppose just general busyness. And yeah that's probably not a word.
I've been actually busy though with uni-work so much so that I've not even procrastinated on TSR much! That means it's real.
It's all very tiring but meaningful at the same time.

I guess the benefit of a daily update is you remember everything!
Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday was up to me so it was mainly spent doing revision, reading and getting my stuff in order... which is a weekly task!
Tuesday (yesterday) was a bit more interesting as apart from my regular Macro II lecture, there was a task of getting 3 people to sign up for a bonus (aha). So I spent a little bit of time doing that and succeeded. Glad the target was small- maybe they realised how difficult it is to get people to actually signup to register interest for a teaching thing.
Not too pleased in my Econometrics class as the law of random has put me with someone who doesn't look like they're going to be a good partner for groupwork- and we have a group project soon. Gah. Not looking forward.

Finally today was blimen hectic as I had to do my first event for the teaching campaign and there was just so much organisation and things to consider - and it pretty much all fell down to me. Even had to take the table from the students union to the setup spot ! Thankfully I had help from the short term brand ambassador. But yeah, it's tiring and tough getting people to signup and the rejection rate is high. It doesn't matter if you're the friendliest or nicest or etc. person, it still happens. And accepting it is constantly tough haha. Anyway, we got a decent amount of signups but I've submitted whatever feedback and I'll see what my manager says.
Original post by EmilySarah00
This might win an award for the latest reply EVER! I'm so sorry I've just been so all over the place (think I was ill when you wrote this reply and I just lost it in a swarm of notifications!) But I've just been catching up on your blog and It's looking a lot more lively than last time I was around here!

Your schedule seems so so busy but it's great to see how you're keeping up with things! I also need to transfer my schedule to something a bit more readable like a spreadsheet :lol:

I presume second year freshers week is a bit less manic than first year? And I'm a little more on my feet now thank goodness!

I think I'll just about make it to second year, I've got a couple of grades back now and I'm not off to a terrible start so that's good! :teehee:

Hope you're doing well!

Haha.
I'm sure we've got people replying to a post a year later or something- no sweat.
I was kind of wondering where you went (not because you didn't reply here but because I didn't see any updates on your blog!!! I think that's partly a reason why I didn't feel like making updates on mine. Need a bit of motivation :smile:)
Wow- not sure if you're saying that to be really nice but it's made me happy. I do feel like my own blog is boring- not because I'm boring but I dunno, just writing text is boring? But then I suppose people do like reading!!!

My schedule is busy... on the three days I actually have university :biggrin: But, yeah that's to be expected. And the spreadsheet helps a lot, but mostly for planning for what I want to do in my free time. If I don't really plan stuff specifically, I won't focus myself as effectively. I still get stuff done but yeah it's more effective like this!

Well- I didn't even attend 2nd years freshers week so no real clue. But I mean all of the events are still there. So it's up to you how hectic you want it to be!!!

Yay, glad to see the results are going good- hopefully I hear fantastic next time around tho. And that with some conviction :smile:

Doing fine- I actually popped up with the flu from last Friday and still have the remnants of it today but you can't let it get you down. Thankfully I had my extended weekend to fight off the bulk of the major nose running element though =)
I think the biggest element for me now is tiredness. So much to do...so little time. I don't know if I like it or not :smile:
Day - 31.10.18

Okay, well I've decided it's quite futile of me to record what "day" it's supposed to be according to my record as it's not exactly like I'm doing a great job posting regularly now.

What I can say is that the work load from uni is on the up... and I'm very glad that next week is reading week for me.

In some ways I work better one week at a time, but I concede I'm a bit behind according to my own spreadsheet/targets.
Mainly I can't be bothered to actually do any of the recommended reading... but I'm keeping on top of everything else pretty much so that's okay.
Only lecture's I've missed was for Econometrics and that was kind of out of my choice so I'm glad.

week6.PNG

Reading week should help me catch up...

Some interesting updates anyway-
-> Got a smartwatch so the main benefit (apart from cool factors like step counts, weather, sleep tracking) is that I can get my schedule on it.
That syncs to the Samsung calendar which syncs to the google calendar.
A picture does say a thousand words and basically I can get my "plans" on my phone, watch and computer easily. So there's more accountability on my time usage... less procrastination and TSR time, as you might have noted.
Sadly, TSR wants to be a **** and won't let me upload the picture for some error reason.

->It's the effort that counts... So I did an event for Get Into Teaching and didn't get enough people signed up (lol) so I'm not allowed to do any future events :frown:. I've tried my best for this role but it's simply difficult to get people to sign up to a teaching survey form lol. It doesn't really matter who you are.

-> Did a first group presentation and sadly I had to take a semi-leading role even though I wish I could have relaxed and been the chill person. Nevertheless, the presentation was completed and went well (thanks to me ? haha) but the teacher was targeting questions at me lol.

->Have started applying for summer internships and I have about 30+ I would like to get applications for. It's competitive and I'll need to work on that.

-> A lecturer of mine mentioned something about looking for research assistants so I took them up on it... it seems like I might have secured a position of research slave or somewhat, but I'm glad to have got the opportunity and I'm glad to be in the lecturers good books... could be interesting to see what knowledge / things I can learn which might help me out in applications/ career prospects

-> Peer Assisted Study Scheme. Kind of disappointing with how that's going so far... 2 sessions and pretty much no first year's have arrived (there's been 4 in total but I only have to attend once per 2 weeks). In some ways no-one turning up is great as I get to chill but I would like to help the 1st years out I'm missing some purpose in the meantime.

-> Exam invigilation. Apparently there's mock exams going on for the secondary school people again so I have taken on a few hours (not a lot honestly as I don't want to miss uni, and there is just generally low hours anyway but the hourly pay is good). So I'm back at my old secondary school doing a bit of that and it's wonderful. Said the hi's to the teachers but it is a bit less great as I don't really know the sixth formers now (since previous year 13 left this summer- who were year 12 when I was year 13). Nevertheless, I like the respect I get from the lower school... getting called sir is great :smile:

Till next time!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reading week - 06.11.18
It's my reading week at QMUL ( 5th Nov- 11th Nov) and it's a nice week off for me. If it wasn't there I would cope without it, but since it exists, I'll enjoy it.
A lot of other universities have their reading week a week before, but I think QMUL starts a week later, or something like that.

Anyway- haven't done as much studying as I thought I would have by now. So a quick post to perhaps encourage myself to do more work. I have noticed my time-management is poor when I don't set myself (feasible) targets/work according to some schedule. Then again, I am doing a little invigilation work which is basically zero hours so it's improvise-life.

Actually though, the main reason I've posted this time isn't because of academic update necessarily- that'll be next time once I've done loads of stuff (right...). It's about relationships!

So I probably didn't need to say it but I am single and have 'always' been single. Nevertheless, it's not for a lack of trying nor genetically terrible looks (or maybe that is it? :redface:)
Anyhow, I thought it'd be funny to share...

Firstly, I play a bit of badminton on Sundays as a weekly thing with my dad and well, we're all guys there so we have fun playing the sport 'seriously'. However, last week, I don't know how exactly but I ended up playing a bit of doubles with a chick that caught my attention not only because I liked how she looked but because she had a good badminton technique! Anyway, it was the first time I've seen her so I didn't do anything weird and I don't know how old she is (remember I'm 19...nearly 20) so hopefully she isn't 15. Hope to see her this Sunday! I haven't really had a crush on anyone in a while but definitely feels nice to have one and it just contributes to feeling like one has something to look forward to.

Finally, I said before I have a job as a student brand ambassador and basically I just have to get people to signup via an official survey link that's custom for me. Anyway, I'm not sure why it took me so long to think of this but I realised now it's a great opportunity for me to memorise my link and give it to people when they ask instead of showing it to them on a paper or my phone... yeah you might be thinking why- it doesn't matter? Well, some people (females I might like, lol) might be impressed by me remembering that and I feel like if they comment something on my memory or whatever it's a good chance for me to bring up a 'terrible' chat-up line. I was thinking... I'm good at remembering numbers too if you wanna give me yours?
Obviously- not said with a straight face. I'm thinking a bit of a charm should do it, and if not, well, it's passed off easily!
What do you think of that? Might be spending more hours in the library advertising :wink:
Firstly. Shoutout to TSR's terrible forums which constantly fail me when I put in such passion into my posts. Spent like 10 minutes writing my reply, just to see it lost when I tried to upload my image. I'll do my best to re-create my post, but sorry guys. You can't create a masterpiece twice.

Day 1 25.09.18:

Intro
So for this week I am commuting from home to uni. So it feels like a long and tiring journey, but I know I'll survive. It's not something one really looks forward to though. Since this is first week though my timetable is just lectures. Economics has (what I'd consider) low contact time. In general term time it's 4 lectures (2 hours each) and 4 classes (1 hour each). So a total of 12 hours contact time a week. Yes folks, that's what you pay £9250 for. :frown:. Have to consider the office hours, office staff costs, building costs and who knows what other costs though, so it's not that simple. Anyway, according to our student handbook, it's recommended we do 28 hours of independent study a week (LOL). So I guess that brings up the total to 40 hours, which makes sense as it's a full-time course.

Lecture 1
Right. So I managed to get to uni with about 30 mins to spare. Tragically, it seemed no one else turns up that early, lol. So I went into a room and waited as my mate (which is pretty much my only friend at uni) was arriving soon. Right, so the lecture was at 10am and for Macroeconomics II. A pre-requisite for that module being Macroeconomics I (from first year). I was expecting it to be decent, but sadly the lecturer we have, has an accent which is moderately difficult to understand. I'm not going to say what nationality he is as let's not trigger any racism. But, it's annoying for me, and I'm going to be listening to him for another 9 weeks+. Great.
In terms of content, I was again disappointed. I had my laptop and was ready to make notes. However, he didn't release the module to our university portal (called QM plus), which meant we couldn't access the slides. Regardless, he really treated the first lecture as a major introduction as it was incredibly elementary. Thankfully I was not completely bored out of my mind as it was morning and I play a videogame (Runescape, which I've been playing for like 10 years) on the side anyway.

Lunch
Being the first day back, the School of Economics and Finance decided to invite all of us to a free lunch and a bit of a welcome back talk. The welcome back talk was okay... the food was good. Only about 1/4 of the people seemed to have turned up though, which was good or bad, I don't know. They actually brought in as many of the lecturers and class teachers from 1st and 2nd year modules for us to talk to, if we wanted. Personally, I didn't really have much to say to them. However, like I said in the OP, the maths lecturer (who I respected from before too) said something great.

2nd lecture of doom
The second lecture was from 2pm to 4pm. It was for financial markets and institutions. Tragically, the lecturer did not have his microphone working and so had to speak "loudly" or whatever throughout the 2 hours. Just to note, we do get like a 10 minute break half-way through. However, it didn't stop his lecture from feeling like it was droning on. I won't lie... I did fall asleep but only woke up as it certainly seems embarrassing to fall asleep in a lecture (to me), especially if you're near the front. Plus, I'm not sure there's much point being in the lecture hall if you're asleep. Anyway, the lecturer had a really boring voice and it seemed to make everyone really tired. I was looking around and everyone else seemed to be awake though, so maybe I was going through a lack of sleep or something, lol. Nevertheless, he had his slides up (44 in total) and pretty much it felt like he was reading through them. It was all new theory so I had to make notes on it, but I do feel like I absorbed almost nothing from his lecture. So I'll certainly need to go over that another day. I was just screenshotting slides from his lecture notes, so I had the relevant bits.
Anyway, the lecture eventually finished and I rejoiced. However, I had the journey back home to worry about and I think I reached back at 5:30pm. I then spent the rest of my evening feeeeeeeling tired, working on my Bitmoji (which is great), reading a bit of TSR (although not commenting much), having dinner and now writing this.

Signing off
I think that's enough for today and I am looking forward to tomorrow despite today being almost a complete disappointment. Fingers crossed tomorrow is great!!! T

file_structure.PNG

I'm having the same problem too! My intro is still stuck in moderation! I like that you're honest here as well as battling through it, you're making me think harder about my studies and want to battle through, too! You've got a watch from me ✌✌
the law of diminshing demand
Original post by anythinggoeshe
the law of diminshing demand

What?
Original post by CosmicSmokeEater
I'm having the same problem too! My intro is still stuck in moderation! I like that you're honest here as well as battling through it, you're making me think harder about my studies and want to battle through, too! You've got a watch from me ✌✌

Yeah. Ah well, we take the good with the bad. To be fair, the further I progress along my course the more I realise I actually "can" do "it", if I put in the right amount of work. Plus, it's only 3 years in total (and I'm almost passing the half-way stage :O) so even though it's not the best thing in the world (it's not the worse thing in the world either- uni or my course, imo) it feels good.
Thanks, and goodluck also.
If you want to share... what course are you doing, at which uni and what year are you in?
Reply 52
Hi, awesome post :smile: I’ve applied to maths and econ at uni and was wondering are the essays in econ mathematical and is the econ course highly mathematical at all? Or only in some parts

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
10 days on!

Wow, so yeah the last update I made was a mighty 10 days ago. It's good ol' Friday and I'm enjoying my extended break again.
This week was a bit of a hefty one.
Actually, going back to last week (which was my reading week- week 7), I suppose I didn't do an update because I was a little occupied with my Macro II coursework! Deadline which was last Saturday ( the 10th). Anyhow, I completed it on time (obviously!) and I think I did pretty well. We did review the answers for the coursework and I did have a couple different answers, but my working out and thinking blah blah was mostly on point so really I expect to be getting 70+ for sure! I'll take an 80 though and for the first assessed piece of work for this year... it's a good start!

Right- about this week.
I checked my emails and bah I've got a tonne over reading week.
I have begun applying to internships and I don't know how well it should be going, but it doesn't feel like it's going too well.
I got rejected by two companies just on the online test stage which is frustrating and I don't know why really. I emailed them for feedback and the feedback is almost useless. Nevertheless, I'm keeping on trying.
A company actually called me to do a telephone interview unexpectedly, and they asked me questions about private capital and equity markets etc. which to be honest I didn't really have much of a clue about because we don't specifically study that. I'm curious if people actually know about that stuff at our age. I generally gave a poor performance because I was unprepared but who knows.

I've taken on an extra module for this year called Finance Trading or something like that - intermediate level. I took this course as an extra last year too but it was only introductory level. Basically, you just have to attend a 2 hour IT lecture session, make notes during then, and then in the summer answer a test and get 60%+ to get the certificate for completing that course. So it's worthwhile doing it!

This week I also had a test for Econometrics (the shock!) which I was very worried about because I was afraid I'd flop statistics like I did last year (not that I literally flopped but less than 70% in any test now feels like a flop to me) and anyhow I think it went pretty well. I don't think I got all of the answers right but I am happy that my revision did pay off and I estimate a lowball mark of 71 for the exam which is perfect. They might give me extra marks for being close on some of the other answers...

So it's been a busy period before the Christmas holidays (which begins for me after 3 weeks or something) and it's going to continue for this next week atleast.
I have a financial markets in-class test on Tuesday and an econometrics in-class presentation on Tuesday! Tuesday is my busiest day but I'm going to be absolutely dying at the end of this next one... I'm also choosing to test out a Get Active session on tuesday (as they have a special offer for half price session- it's normally £2.50 so now £1.25 for 1 hour).

Finally, I'm typing this up whilst enjoying the double xp weekend on the videogame I've been playing for over a decade?! Don't worry, no xps were lost.

Goodluck to all, and try and enjoy the chaos while it lasts. I've noticed it's more tiring but also more interesting. Next update will definitely not be earlier than next Tuesday haha
I'm in year 2 at uco doing games art :biggrin:
I'm in year 2 at uco doing games art :biggrin:

Wow! Call me ignorant but I was going to ask what "uco" meant haha (till I google'd it). The followup question is- What is Osteopathy?
And... what is games art? Is it like game design/ computer science?
I'm not sure, you're probs looking at the wrong one! Nah you aren't ignorant, it's a campus supported by uclan in Oldham
It's designing and building 3d models for games and other media, but I honestly prefer 2d stuff like ui, what do you do on your course?
Reply 57
10 days on!

Wow, so yeah the last update I made was a mighty 10 days ago. It's good ol' Friday and I'm enjoying my extended break again.
This week was a bit of a hefty one.
Actually, going back to last week (which was my reading week- week 7), I suppose I didn't do an update because I was a little occupied with my Macro II coursework! Deadline which was last Saturday ( the 10th). Anyhow, I completed it on time (obviously!) and I think I did pretty well. We did review the answers for the coursework and I did have a couple different answers, but my working out and thinking blah blah was mostly on point so really I expect to be getting 70+ for sure! I'll take an 80 though and for the first assessed piece of work for this year... it's a good start!

Right- about this week.
I checked my emails and bah I've got a tonne over reading week.
I have begun applying to internships and I don't know how well it should be going, but it doesn't feel like it's going too well.
I got rejected by two companies just on the online test stage which is frustrating and I don't know why really. I emailed them for feedback and the feedback is almost useless. Nevertheless, I'm keeping on trying.
A company actually called me to do a telephone interview unexpectedly, and they asked me questions about private capital and equity markets etc. which to be honest I didn't really have much of a clue about because we don't specifically study that. I'm curious if people actually know about that stuff at our age. I generally gave a poor performance because I was unprepared but who knows.

I've taken on an extra module for this year called Finance Trading or something like that - intermediate level. I took this course as an extra last year too but it was only introductory level. Basically, you just have to attend a 2 hour IT lecture session, make notes during then, and then in the summer answer a test and get 60%+ to get the certificate for completing that course. So it's worthwhile doing it!

This week I also had a test for Econometrics (the shock!) which I was very worried about because I was afraid I'd flop statistics like I did last year (not that I literally flopped but less than 70% in any test now feels like a flop to me) and anyhow I think it went pretty well. I don't think I got all of the answers right but I am happy that my revision did pay off and I estimate a lowball mark of 71 for the exam which is perfect. They might give me extra marks for being close on some of the other answers...

So it's been a busy period before the Christmas holidays (which begins for me after 3 weeks or something) and it's going to continue for this next week atleast.
I have a financial markets in-class test on Tuesday and an econometrics in-class presentation on Tuesday! Tuesday is my busiest day but I'm going to be absolutely dying at the end of this next one... I'm also choosing to test out a Get Active session on tuesday (as they have a special offer for half price session- it's normally £2.50 so now £1.25 for 1 hour).

Finally, I'm typing this up whilst enjoying the double xp weekend on the videogame I've been playing for over a decade?! Don't worry, no xps were lost.

Goodluck to all, and try and enjoy the chaos while it lasts. I've noticed it's more tiring but also more interesting. Next update will definitely not be earlier than next Tuesday haha

Hi, awesome post :smile: I’ve applied to maths and econ at uni and was wondering are the essays in econ mathematical and is the econ course highly mathematical at all? Or only in some parts

Thanks
I'm not sure, you're probs looking at the wrong one! Nah you aren't ignorant, it's a campus supported by uclan in Oldham
It's designing and building 3d models for games and other media, but I honestly prefer 2d stuff like ui, what do you do on your course?

Oh wow- still cool! Yeah I suppose I was. Interesting- it's definitely something I would have no idea how that works unless I did that course (which I'm not going to). Sounds like it involves a bunch of coding perhaps too.

My course is economics (As you've read) so we generally I guess learn how to find optimal solutions to real world problems. That involves learning theories of how people behaviour and how markets operate, being able to interpret data and create our own models to make predictions on behaviour too. We do a little programming too with a program called Stata, which allows you to input a dataset and you can then do whatever you like with it- create a new variable based on criteria, graph stuff, see statistics etc.
Original post by timif2

Thanks

Well, I think this might make you happy (considering you've applied to maths and econ so I would assume you're more of a numbers person) but there really aren't many essays involved. Or a lot less than you'd expect. They don't really make you do essays for maths (perhaps that's reserved for post-grad theologicalists) and for economics there is only a few because they still like to test your applied maths skills.
So... no the essays in econ aren't really mathematical and there aren't really many essays requested from us in general, and, the econ course is mostly mathematical, however, I wouldn't say it's difficult maths for most of it. Like, the difficulty is probably A-Level maths or slightly under (but still more than AS maths). So if you did A2 further maths... it's probably just fun for you.

Quick Reply