The Student Room Group

The Current Year 9 Thread Mark l (2018-2019)

Scroll to see replies

Ok thank you! Those are my sat grades from last year,I think ill receive my predicted grades next year in year 10.
Original post by katiejdjdididj
I think I’m the first one here lmao I’ve been on here since I chose my GCSE’s in year 8 (my school choose them early) but I had to make a new account hahaha I’ll just wait till someone else rolls in :h:

wow you guys chose you gcses like 1 year early
Original post by noorfq26
wow you guys chose you gcses like 1 year early

so did we
What are you guys doing in english literature at the moment? I'm doing the Telling Tales: short story anthology ew lol
Hi Year 9s

My friends and I are currently developing a new revision tool for you guys to use for your GCSEs which will be released in September 2019.

We wanted to hear from you, the people who would benefit from it, what you would actually want from it, because of the GCSE changes, there aren't currently many resources available for you guys but we want to help you out.

Let us know what you would like in the thread below and feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Thank you,

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post80436218
Original post by ellioondra
What are you guys doing in english literature at the moment? I'm doing the Telling Tales: short story anthology ew lol

wuthering heights. 19th century texts
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by EO4LIF3
Hey Guys, Ngl im shook about GCSEs so I have loads of questions for everybody (it would help if some Year 11s or something answered)
1.) I don't know how to revise and what sources to use. I have a CGP book for example but I don't know what to do with it (I have tried using mindmaps but it doesn't work) I have got some revision cards for the first time and I have looked on TSR on how to use them but it would mean a lot if someone Yr 9-11 gave me an example. I have got some sources of revision but I don't think it is enough. For example I have my school books, my textbooks and some sites but that's it. I would really appreciate if someone showed a model picture for revision (so they show what to write on a revision card, etc.) Also, this is a VERY BIG QUESTION, the revision cards I have now- do i use them to study for end of year exams in Year 10 or Year 11(GCSEs)? Thank you(Appreciate if some people recommend some sites to revise from)

The questions above are the only ones I will ask for now but I would like to say it is my first time writing on a thread so to all Year 9s I will be happy to help people (if I can :h: ) but I will need help as well considering I am human. So, to conclude I will like to say good luck for GCSEs and I hope we all help each other in this thread for GCSEs in the coming years 10,11. I will try to stay active on TSR throughout the whole years of 10,11

Thank You,
R, (btw. I'm Planning to be a future doctor in the army (ik its random))

use past papers and make notes on topics you can't remember/need to revise and slowly condense these notes down as you get closer to the exams so they end up being just little memory jogs - symbols and a few words.
use lots of colour and don't hesitate to make your notes funny if it helps you to remember them, and make up little ways to remember things using personal details. like if you wanted to remember that we have 23 pairs of chromosomes and your birthday was the 23rd, you could just remember that chromosomes = birthday
hope this helps :smile:
Original post by TrinitaBolton14
Hi Year 9s

My friends and I are currently developing a new revision tool for you guys to use for your GCSEs which will be released in September 2019.

We wanted to hear from you, the people who would benefit from it, what you would actually want from it, because of the GCSE changes, there aren't currently many resources available for you guys but we want to help you out.

Let us know what you would like in the thread below and feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Thank you,

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...8#post80436218

detailed explanations, typical exam questions to practise on, little exam tips, revision techniques etc
I'm currently in year 9 and I know it's early but I've been thinking about which university I want to study medicine at. I'm thinking Oxford but I need an A*AA at A-Levels and I'm currently at roughly level 7s.

Do you have any tips to improve my grades without spending the rest of my life revising? Thanks
Hi Guys I'm in year 9 :smile:)

Does anyone have any idea/can roughly predict what I'll get in GCSEs In Y11 if I keep working well (ish) ?

ATM (at the beginning of Y9) I have got:

English Language- 6 (borderline so just scraped a 6)
English Lit- 7
Maths- 5/6 (borderline)
Dance- 7/8
History- 7/8
Citizenship- 8

We haven't done a bio, chem or physics test yet :smile: x edited because I got my grades wrong first time oops
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by confusedyear9
Hi Guys I'm in year 9 :smile:)

Does anyone have any idea/can roughly predict what I'll get in GCSEs In Y11 if I keep working well (ish) ?

ATM (at the beginning of Y9) I have got:

English Language- 6 (borderline so just scraped a 6)
English Lit- 7
Maths- 5/6 (borderline)
Dance- 7/8
History- 7/8
Citizenship- 8

We haven't done a bio, chem or physics test yet :smile: x edited because I got my grades wrong first time oops

I have all grade 7 and 8s for my predictions and I think I can get them. I guarantee if you work hard enough you can get As in all of them as your predictions are high. good luck
Reply 91
Hi:h: I'm new here,uhm I'm just wondering if anyone here took Product Design as a gsce and what's your experience with that.Was it good?I'm thinking of taking it instead of Art.(I want to take something that will let me be creative :smile:
Reply 92
Also,I'm feel passionate about design(not clothing designing)but I'm not sure if Computer Science is a good choice for gsce.In ur opinion do u think it is a good area to try and get in to?
Original post by B-star
Also,I'm feel passionate about design(not clothing designing)but I'm not sure if Computer Science is a good choice for gsce.In ur opinion do u think it is a good area to try and get in to?

I'm in year 9 so I don't have that much advice but my brother did it and got a 7 with very little revision :smile: but he had a great teacher though and is quite good at that stuff anyway. If you enjoy it and find it fun just take it I guess
Did anyone do graphics? People have told me it's a lot of coursework which I know is true but I quite like that bit anyway :confused: is it too much though? Obviously it's a lot but way too much?
I'm in year 10! DM me for any advice!
Our School use these Maths Textbooks called Delta 3 Books made by Pearson and every term we are tested on each unit so for example we have unit 1 and 2 assessments. Do any of you guys use this textbook and if so How Do You revise for the assessments and if you don't how would you advice revising for maths in general.
Original post by tobi123456
Our School use these Maths Textbooks called Delta 3 Books made by Pearson and every term we are tested on each unit so for example we have unit 1 and 2 assessments. Do any of you guys use this textbook and if so How Do You revise for the assessments and if you don't how would you advice revising for maths in general.

Hey, I remember in year 9 i would always struggle revising for maths but then i realised all maths basically is is practicing. So find some websites (corbettmaths) that have questions for each topic and just do the questions.
Also the cgp books are AMAZING, if you don’t understand something they explain it really well and they have three maths papers at the back.
Or just do past papers - there’s plenty of those :smile:
Original post by tobi123456

Mathswatch is also really good if your school has it! Use the videos and interactive exam style questions. As well as the worksheets, you can find the answers for them online.
Reply 99
Hi im in year 9 tooo :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest