The Student Room Group

Hallmates have left me out of second year house

Everyone in the flat was planning to get a house together second year but a note has just been uncovered revealing that most of the people in the flat are going behind some of our backs to try and exclude some of us. I wasn't on the list which means I have nobody to live with in second year, plus I'm not sure I'd even want to live with them after this.

I'm not really close enough with anyone on my course so I'm really worried I'll be on my own next year and I have no idea what to do.
Original post by QWERTY3000
Everyone in the flat was planning to get a house together second year but a note has just been uncovered revealing that most of the people in the flat are going behind some of our backs to try and exclude some of us. I wasn't on the list which means I have nobody to live with in second year, plus I'm not sure I'd even want to live with them after this.

I'm not really close enough with anyone on my course so I'm really worried I'll be on my own next year and I have no idea what to do.

what about the other people they ve excluded? dont panic you ve plenty of time to find somewhere else:smile:

I wouldn’t waste energy over it. You best get busy looking for another share.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
what about the other people they ve excluded? dont panic you ve plenty of time to find somewhere else:smile:

They just made a joke about it. It's just me and 2 girls and they're quite close with eachother.

At least you werent the only one. How many in your flat?

Yes people are like that.

1. There might be the option of staying in hall.
2. You might make friends during the rest of the year and share with them. That would be better.
3. There are always houses looking for extra flatmates.
4. If you cant do 2, then accommodation will hold events where you can meet with potential flatmates and get somewhere together as equals.
Reply 5
Original post by Seamus123
I wouldn’t waste energy over it. You best get busy looking for another share.

I wouldn't but the thing is I don't have many other friends outside my halls. I (foolishly) didn't think I needed many others so didn't make a big effort to make other friends
They just made a joke about it. It's just me and 2 girls and they're quite close with eachother.

ah i see, as 999tigger says you've got plenty of other options.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
At least you werent the only one. How many in your flat?

Yes people are like that.

1. There might be the option of staying in hall.
2. You might make friends during the rest of the year and share with them. That would be better.
3. There are always houses looking for extra flatmates.
4. If you cant do 2, then accommodation will hold events where you can meet with potential flatmates and get somewhere together as equals.

There's 25 but there's a few internationals that never come of their room and don't really integrate, there's 3-4 people that have friends outside the flat so are going with them for second year then there's 4 boys that are getting a separate house. There's about 12-13 of us that were going to share this house but now it's 9.

I'm not overly keen on halls next year, they cost quite a bit. 2 is looking unlikely, so 3 and 4 are the most likely. I'll keep an eye out for ads about housing
There's 25 but there's a few internationals that never come of their room and don't really integrate, there's 3-4 people that have friends outside the flat so are going with them for second year then there's 4 boys that are getting a separate house. There's about 12-13 of us that were going to share this house but now it's 9.

I'm not overly keen on halls next year, they cost quite a bit. 2 is looking unlikely, so 3 and 4 are the most likely. I'll keep an eye out for ads about housing

It would be very sad if your entire uni experience and friends rlied on being placed with some random strangers in year 1.#
You need to improve your social skills. With the numbers you suggest then it looks like you are less likely to have been chosen than not. It would hurt less if I was in that situation. You are only 2 months in so theres time to make new friends if you make an effort.
Imo coursemates are just as good a source of friends.
Hey @QWERTY3000

Has your situation gotten any better since starting this topic?

You have a lot of time before you have to book a flat, so spending time with your course mates and making an extra effort to talk to talk to people around your accommodation could be your best bet. Alternatively, joining a society may help you meet some friends who are in a similar position! :smile:

Wishing you all the best
Josh
Reply 10
Like hallamstudents says look at joining a society for one of your interests. That's usually a great way to meet new people. If not there are loads of flat share options and you can just start again, it's definitely not the end of the world!
I'm really sorry to hear about how they made fun of you. I'm happy to buddy up if you're interested, don't have anyone to rent with in sept
That’s not very nice. but look on. The bright side, at least you know now theyre not nice people and not half way through your second year when it really matters.

I absolutely agree with what others have said, theres loads of options for you and next year make sure you join as many societies or sports clubs as you can. In fact, while youre at uni now you could give a few a try for the last month and decide which you want to continue with in September? You might even meet other people in the same position and get some advice on housing.

Quick Reply

Latest