The Student Room Group

What makes an answer perceptive in English?

In language paper 2 Question 2, the mark scheme says that the difference between getting 5-6 and 7-8 marks is this:
5-6 =
Shows clear synthesis and interpretation of both texts:
Makes clear inferences from both texts
Selects clear references/textual detail relevant to the focus of the question
Statements show clear differences between texts

7-8=
Shows perceptive synthesis and interpretation of both texts:
Makes perceptive inferences from both texts
Makes judicious references/use of textual detail relevant to the focus of the question
Statements show perceptive
differences between texts

Basically, to get the higher marks you have to be more perceptive, but what's classed as being perceptive and what's classed as being clear? Because, no matter how much I explain my inferences I still can't get those marks and it's stopping me getting into the higher bands. Thanks to anyone who can help x
Reply 1
I guess clear is like accurate and easy to understand type points, whereas perceptive would entail more detailed points that other people dont/wouldnt think of, making your good point also unique?
Reply 2
Original post by KVJ
I guess clear is like accurate and easy to understand type points, whereas perceptive would entail more detailed points that other people dont/wouldnt think of, making your good point also unique?

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my test tomorrow x
Reply 3
Original post by ASJ_12
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for my test tomorrow x

Np. Good luck!
Reply 4
In a question where synthesis is involved, the analysis must fluently flow between the excerpts being analysed. A more perceptive answer in this context probably refers to one that that is able to effortlessly compare the analysis of the excerpts.
Being clear means you make your argument easy to understand, which is good. Being perceptive and judicious means that you can make points that aren't common/out of the box and can articulate it well in your writing by linking it together precisely instead of just going off on a tangent or listing your points. (Basically you need to make points and write like you know what you're talking about)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending