The Student Room Group

Getting Those Grades: That last-ditch attempt for a 9 (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, everyone! :woo::unsure:

Since school's pretty much been the same (aside from starting biology in science, nothing has changed, really), I figured this week's focus (or rather mid-week focus:colondollar:) should be study and revision organisation.

The best method to use for this is by starting a bullet journal. They're amazingly useful things- not just for study, but they can help you keep track of appointments, finance, health, and so many more things. And they're pretty easy to start, as well!

All you need to start one is a pretty good notebook. It's best to get a hardback A5 book with around 400 or so pages- this way you can have a page per day and extra ones to keep track of anything else that goes with managing your life. The best thing about them is that they're not even expensive and really easy to maintain. I'll put down some links for some books in case anyone's interested in getting one.

Once you've got your book, you can begin to set up your pages. I'd recommend starting with a year-at-a-glance calendar, to highlight exam weeks, birthdays, important events and planned appointments. Then, with each month, you can have a monthly calendar in more detail: here you can take note of free time, study sessions, interventions, society meetings, and any other events you have.

For every day you write in, you can have a daily checklist of things you need to do/ events you need to attend, so you can keep track of whether you've done it.

If you want to make it more personal, you can add mood boards, pictures, wishlists, a brain dump, quotes, playlists, and pretty much anything else you want at the back. It doesn't have to be pretty, but I'm in it for the aesthetics!:biggrin: I'll put some links down below if anyone wants ideas~

But to be honest school's killing me (ugh I just did my Senior maths challenge today and it was total crap *cries in Korean*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Well, anyway, keep up with the revision! Once again, keep an eye out for new updates and thank you for checking this forum out!

ah bullet journaling always looked so cool to me, but I’d know that I could never keep it up for more than a couple weeks😂😂
bullet journals sound like a great idea:yes:
bullet journals sound like a cool idea until you can't put them into practice... like me... :emo: but good luck if you're starting one!
Original post by mez_merising
ah bullet journaling always looked so cool to me, but I’d know that I could never keep it up for more than a couple weeks😂😂

Aww, don't worry, even I've struggled with keeping up with a bullet journal (sometimes I'd be updating a week around a month later) but the hard work really pays off, and it's great if you have a really busy schedule.
I have faith in you! Hwaiting!
Original post by nyxnko_
bullet journals sound like a cool idea until you can't put them into practice... like me... :emo: but good luck if you're starting one!

aw, don't worry if you can't stick to them, (in my opinion resolutions and targets are there to be broken) if you ever do try to start one, I'll be sure to support you in it fully! :hug::hugs:

And thank you! I've outlined the basics but I might upload some pictures later on in the year, (when i start my new bullet journal - I do one for each year, starting from 1st January) if I think they're good enough! :biggrin:
you scared the **** out of me

i was tagged so randolmy, i thought someone got one my account and did sth

dont mind it tho so leave me tagged
Original post by nstar12
aw, don't worry if you can't stick to them, (in my opinion resolutions and targets are there to be broken) if you ever do try to start one, I'll be sure to support you in it fully! :hug::hugs:

And thank you! I've outlined the basics but I might upload some pictures later on in the year, (when i start my new bullet journal - I do one for each year, starting from 1st January) if I think they're good enough! :biggrin:

i've already tried one almost 2 years ago now. it worked for about a month and then failed :tongue:
:thumbsup: looking forward to those pics
Original post by Tsquare
you scared the **** out of me

i was tagged so randolmy, i thought someone got one my account and did sth

dont mind it tho so leave me tagged

Oh my god, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as creepy, I basically tagged whoever I thought might enjoy this thread, sorry if I gave you a shock!
But at least now you have a little warning next time I tag you!:tongue:
Original post by nyxnko_
i've already tried one almost 2 years ago now. it worked for about a month and then failed :tongue:
:thumbsup: looking forward to those pics

Oh my, well I hope my one doesn't turn out like that! Hopefully, now that I've promised pics I won't give up so easily... :yep:
good luck! you've already done amazingly :woo:
Original post by laurawatt
good luck! you've already done amazingly :woo:

Thank you! I hope I manage to continue this but so far it's gone pretty well! (well, save for a week hiatus I took during the half-term break:colondollar:)
Guys, I'm running a poll about the number of updates I do each week.

Would you prefer I do daily mini summaries about what I've done so far (i.e. subjects/topics covered each day) but continue to do two large advice posts like the ones I've already been doing (on Wednesdays and Saturdays/Sundays)?

Or would you rather I stick to the routine I'm following right now? (Just two large advice posts on Wednesdays and Saturdays/Sundays)

Please vote to let me know x
whatever is best for you, I personally love the long posts x
whatever is best for you, I personally love the long posts x

Sure, the long posts will always be there but I don't know is if I should also do daily updates or not?????
Original post by nstar12
Oh my, well I hope my one doesn't turn out like that! Hopefully, now that I've promised pics I won't give up so easily... :yep:

okay, good luck :thumbsup:

i personally have no preference for however you choose to update :nah: I would prefer the 2 major updates with tags and mini-daily breakdowns without tags, but it's completely up to you :yes:
Original post by nyxnko_
okay, good luck :thumbsup:

i personally have no preference for however you choose to update :nah: I would prefer the 2 major updates with tags and mini-daily breakdowns without tags, but it's completely up to you :yes:

That's what I've been hoping to do, since I'm always on this thread anyways, so thank for your help! :smile:
Hello everyone!

I'm gonna start off with what I mentioned in earlier posts: the votes are in, and (drumroll please) DAILY UPDATES HAS WON! For those of you who wanted the bi-weekly (is that what you use to describe those kinds of updates?? I don't know.) updates, don't worry, I'll still be continuing with them. So, just to clear things up:

Daily updates: will be a minor summary of the subjects and topics I've covered that day. There won't be tags for these ones, they'll be pretty vague and not very informatic in terms of giving advice- it's more of me ranting about what happened that day.:h: These will be posted on the thread from Monday to Friday.

Bi-weekly updates: (I don't even know, I'm just gonna keep calling them that, please correct me with the right term if I'm wrong so I can edit this!!!!:colondollar:) Will be the long, advice-type things I've been giving already. The schedule will be the same (Wednesdays and Saturdays/Sundays) and they'll continue to have tags.

If anyone has any questions about the changed update schedule, feel free to post below and ask!!!!:biggrin:

So, anyways!

I did a topic test in science today (it was biology topic 1 - enzymes and cells and transport mechanisms) and I got 34/37. Not bad, I guess. :smile:

We've also moved on in history to study Henry VIII. Our class has also started weekly WW1 (The Western Front) quizzes- they're out of 7 and they're just a bunch of random questions on the topic. I got 6/7 in the most recent one. :redface:

(Note to self: Horse-drawn carriages struggled to transport wounded soldiers around because of mud, not the overwhelming number of casualties:colondollar:)

I'm sorry I don't have any advice today, some recent events had been concerning me and I didn't get much time this week to update, so a million apologies for that.:s-smilie:

Well, anyway, keep up with the revision! Once again, keep an eye out for new updates and thank you for checking this forum out!

don't apologise! its completely fine even if it is 'bi-weekly' lmao i think that is the right term to use
and woooooOOOoomF when i scrolled and saw that gif of jimin wow my heart uWUuuUU
don't apologise! its completely fine even if it is 'bi-weekly' lmao i think that is the right term to use
and woooooOOOoomF when i scrolled and saw that gif of jimin wow my heart uWUuuUU

Lol, don't worry I don't blame your heart, mine did the same when i was scrolling through a bunch of gifs like DAMNNNNN, I'm pretty sure it did a full rollercoaster loop :smile::colondollar:

Oh, and just to clear things up- there will be 'bi-weekly' updates (:biggrin:) but also the daily summaries :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest