The Student Room Group

Order at most and order at least

Hello,
I have to prove that 1/4n(n+1)-1/2 is order exactly n^2
I thought that it would be bounded order at most for big n^2 for all n>=1 but in this case how could it have an order at least. Is my order at most wrong? Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by MissMathsxo
Hello,
I have to prove that 1/4n(n+1)-1/2 is order exactly n^2
I thought that it would be bounded order at most for big n^2 for all n>=1 but in this case how could it have an order at least. Is my order at most wrong? Thank you

Do you have an image of the question?
Original post by mqb2766
Do you have an image of the question?

This is all my teacher gave me 6F6685B5-6FFB-4BA8-933E-0755BA7C96C6.jpg.jpeg
Reply 3
This is all my teacher gave me 6F6685B5-6FFB-4BA8-933E-0755BA7C96C6.jpg.jpeg

Not sure what the E(n) means and I'm presuming the O(n^2) is the big O notation.
In this context, it really just means that C(n) is a quadratic. For large n, when n doubles then C(n) will quadruple.
Simply expand C(n) into the usual n^2, n, constant terms and make the argument that the quadratic is dominant term.
Original post by mqb2766
Not sure what the E(n) means and I'm presuming the O(n^2) is the big O notation.
In this context, it really just means that C(n) is a quadratic. For large n, when n doubles then C(n) will quadruple.
Simply expand C(n) into the usual n^2, n, constant terms and make the argument that the quadratic is dominant term.

Sorry, I think they're both meant I be C(n). And the big symbol means both big o and omega so I need to shown that it can be less then or equal depending on the coefficient on n^2
Reply 5
Sorry, I think they're both meant I be C(n). And the big symbol means both big o and omega so I need to shown that it can be less then or equal depending on the coefficient on n^2

In the image is it
Theta(n^2)
or
O(n^2)
Original post by mqb2766
In the image is it
Theta(n^2)
or
O(n^2)

Theta
Reply 7
Theta

Ok, so you need to show that there is both a
* quadratic upper bound: c*n^2 for n>n0
and a
* quadratic lower bound: d*n^2 for n>n0
Have a go at doing either / both and if you have problems just post? Some examples at
http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/teaching/dm-reading-assignments/Growth-of-Functions.pdf
Original post by mqb2766
Ok, so you need to show that there is both a
* quadratic upper bound: c*n^2 for n>n0
and a
* quadratic lower bound: d*n^2 for n>n0
Have a go at doing either / both and if you have problems just post? Some examples at
http://www-cgrl.cs.mcgill.ca/~godfried/teaching/dm-reading-assignments/Growth-of-Functions.pdf

Oh, I have just realised why I was confused. I thought that the values you referred to as c and d had to be integers but they don't. Thank you for your response 😊

Quick Reply

Latest