The Student Room Group

I want to get more engaged in politics?

Hello,

I've always loved politics, and have always been interested, but I feel as if I don't know as near enough as my friends. Whenever they discuss political issues, I just feel lost, even though politics is something I really enjoy and am quite involved in at University.

I was just wondering if someone could please help me better understand politics, and how I can find a 'way in' in terms of engaging in high quality discussion and analysis? Partly, it's probably confidence, but I really want to engage with it more etc.
Reply 1
Read about it. And join a political party.
Original post by katf
Read about it. And join a political party.

Do you have any suggestions on places to read? Things to follow, or videos to watch to help me educate myself on UK politics? I stay in touch with the news and I am a paying member of a party.
Honestly I seem to have the exact opposite problem, all of my friends hate politics and get annoyed at me for bringing it up 😂
A good way in I've found is joining a debate club/society and just taking the opportunity to listen to the debates for a while to really get a feel for how arguments tend to be structured
Of course, things like watching the news every morning help, although tbh at this point I've had enough of Piers Morgan's smarmy face every morning - if you want intelligent debates probably go to the BBC
With the confidence thing, you'll probably find as you become more passionate you'll be more willing to engage in friendly debates since you can gain a lot of confidence from having more drive and a wider bank of knowledge
Reply 4
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Hello,

I've always loved politics, and have always been interested, but I feel as if I don't know as near enough as my friends. Whenever they discuss political issues, I just feel lost, even though politics is something I really enjoy and am quite involved in at University.

I was just wondering if someone could please help me better understand politics, and how I can find a 'way in' in terms of engaging in high quality discussion and analysis? Partly, it's probably confidence, but I really want to engage with it more etc.

There's MHOC on here Model House of Commons :smile:
Moved to UK politics
Original post by ambiplasma
Honestly I seem to have the exact opposite problem, all of my friends hate politics and get annoyed at me for bringing it up 😂
A good way in I've found is joining a debate club/society and just taking the opportunity to listen to the debates for a while to really get a feel for how arguments tend to be structured
Of course, things like watching the news every morning help, although tbh at this point I've had enough of Piers Morgan's smarmy face every morning - if you want intelligent debates probably go to the BBC
With the confidence thing, you'll probably find as you become more passionate you'll be more willing to engage in friendly debates since you can gain a lot of confidence from having more drive and a wider bank of knowledge

I am very (very very) involved in my University Debating Society, but I still have this problem and it's really annoying. I just don't know how to build up a long-term political memory and identity, such that I can engage politically in such an advanced way as my friends.
Reply 7
Do you have any suggestions on places to read? Things to follow, or videos to watch to help me educate myself on UK politics? I stay in touch with the news and I am a paying member of a party.

Most of my political books are based around history. Mostly women's history (fight for women's suffrage, equal pay, and female MPs), and the history of the Labour and trade union movement. They're good at getting an idea of why things are the way they are, and seeing the cyclical nature of politics. Many of the debates we're having, on securing decent quality housing for everyone for example, are ones we've had before. We had the issue of slum clearance and overcrowding in the 1940s, exacerbated by a war that destroyed many homes.

The guardian comment pieces are often very good. They have a range of views on there, and a lot of well written arguments. Don't really watch many videos.

Which party are you a member of?
Original post by katf
Most of my political books are based around history. Mostly women's history (fight for women's suffrage, equal pay, and female MPs), and the history of the Labour and trade union movement. They're good at getting an idea of why things are the way they are, and seeing the cyclical nature of politics. Many of the debates we're having, on securing decent quality housing for everyone for example, are ones we've had before. We had the issue of slum clearance and overcrowding in the 1940s, exacerbated by a war that destroyed many homes.

The guardian comment pieces are often very good. They have a range of views on there, and a lot of well written arguments. Don't really watch many videos.

Which party are you a member of?

I'm a liberal democrat, born and raised, and now a paying member of.

Thank you so much! I'll just do my reading, and try to follow in your footsteps in terms of building up my political knowledge.
aside from politics A level here's what i usually do

i listen to political podcasts in my spare time. today in parliament for school related purposes otherwise it's mostly topics on spotify because they're quick and easy to keep up with.
tune into the radio more often to learn about current affairs.
read the news everyday. sometimes i don't have time so i check BBC everyday. learn about events that started a long time ago and are ongoing.
read more in general. at first i found the economist so boring but i've read a few copies and i find it so intriguing.
i quite like to read lengthy threads in the current affairs section of tsr especially when the older users use fancy terms it's quite fun

when it comes to international issues i watch loads of youtube videos.
join twitter? i've been on it for so many years and it helps to follow different MPs/presidents. twitter and youtube simplify issues and when you build up your knowledge it helps

you could travel places and talk to people. i was invited to a climate change conference recently and i met someone from a right wing think tank and that interactive approach made me learn so much. i like engaging with people who I disagree with on issues.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
I'm a liberal democrat, born and raised, and now a paying member of.

Thank you so much! I'll just do my reading, and try to follow in your footsteps in terms of building up my political knowledge.

The Today programme on R4 is required listening.

And if you want something more radical: https://order-order.com
Just read anything you can political, esp political opinion pieces in newspapers or online.

The ones I would recommend are

Peter Hitchens
Owen Jones
John Gray
Rod Liddle
Nick Cohen

All of these also have books which you should. Be able to buy or get from your university’s

Once you tend to familiarise yourself with the basic ideas and beliefs, re-examine them and see why you think what you do. Also examine some political philosophy starting with Plato’s republic. Also read 1984 it’s a great book 👍🏻

Once you’ve done that. Head over to YouTube and join the culture war between the left, the liberalists and the alt right.
Do you mean you want to know about modern British politics or politics as a wider subject because those are 2 massively different things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending