The Student Room Group

Ideas for my EPQ topic- The Philippine Drug War, Duterte & Human Rights

Advice/ Ideas / Topics to mention regarding me EPQ topic,what should i base it on? what question title should i give it? please anwser ASAP as i need help desperately.

Im filipino lived in the uk since i was 2 so this EPQ topic is really super personal to me,alot of filipinos in the uk mainly the older generation like the first generation immigrant filipino,mums and dads,etc support the president Duterte and his death penalty on the drug war,which is ironic because we're a heavily catholic country so you would expect the death penalty to not be supported at all,its mostly the younger generation who disagree with it or family that have been personally affected by the death pena;ty who protest against it. im doing Law in uni aswell btw hence the topic relating to law

im really struggling with what i should title it as the title has to be a question so please hel[ if u can :smile: ! also some epq advice/tips & what sources should i use

Kind Regards
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by KSstudentlife
Advice/ Ideas / Topics to mention regarding me EPQ topic,what should i base it on? what question title should i give it? please anwser ASAP as i need help desperately.

Im filipino lived in the uk since i was 2 so this EPQ topic is really super personal to me,alot of filipinos in the uk mainly the older generation like the first generation immigrant filipino,mums and dads,etc support the president Duterte and his death penalty on the drug war,which is ironic because we're a heavily catholic country so you would expect the death penalty to not be supported at all,its mostly the younger generation who disagree with it or family that have been personally affected by the death pena;ty who protest against it. im doing Law in uni aswell btw hence the topic relating to law

im really struggling with what i should title it as the title has to be a question so please hel[ if u can :smile: ! also some epq advice/tips & what sources should i use

Kind Regards

Fellow pinoy! (I've been living here since I was born lol) Hi I'm also doing the EPQ but I'm basing it on mental health but I think your topic is quite interesting! You could either make the question really focused on an aspect of Duterte or make it broader such as "Why is President Duterte of the Philippines supported" but I think being more concise with your title is more appropiate. I mean you want to research into the death penalty and drug war? So i'd include that as part of your title! But the title can be made way after you've started your project :smile: In my EP lessons we've been told to spend loads of time researching our topic and also filling in those audit sheets idk what they're called! Just write as much as you can and you're all set!
- few points that maybe useful- search the surrounding death penalty state and the annual executions related to drugs compared to the drugs found per year.
As you say earlier, religion is an important factor, Indonesia and Malaysia is a Muslim nation, and Philippines is a catholic nation, different religion view life differently. Singapore is quite mixed afaik
Education levels, the percentage of people with he qualifications may make people view things differently
Hope it helps, and I personally are against death penalty for all offences. Life is so precious and justice can never be 100% just. Despite wrongful jailed person still exist, at least they can get some compensation and freedom at last...
Original post by idolgcfs
Fellow pinoy! (I've been living here since I was born lol) Hi I'm also doing the EPQ but I'm basing it on mental health but I think your topic is quite interesting! You could either make the question really focused on an aspect of Duterte or make it broader such as "Why is President Duterte of the Philippines supported" but I think being more concise with your title is more appropiate. I mean you want to research into the death penalty and drug war? So i'd include that as part of your title! But the title can be made way after you've started your project :smile: In my EP lessons we've been told to spend loads of time researching our topic and also filling in those audit sheets idk what they're called! Just write as much as you can and you're all set!

Thank you so much,I've been really struggling because my topic isn't as well known so thank you so so much for the help & advice. Right now my question title is on the lines of "Is Philippines Death Penalty in President Duterte's Drug War effective?". But I will definitley mention why the majority of filipinos support duterte in one of my chapters in my EPQ,i'm planning to make my own sources such as maybe interviewing filipiinos from different age range,such as my filipino mums and dads to grandparents,to relatives lving in the philippines right now. OR making like a survey for filipinos about their opinons on Duterte and the Philippine Drug War and comparing the opinions of older filipino's to younger more westernized filipinos who have more liberal views.

Right now because i deided to do law for uni i wanted to change my EPQ topic to that it is more tailored to law so i need to catch up alot with research,i feel like im way behind (right now my college is making us send our first EPQ draft but majority of students havent finished it yet the deadline is not as strict & teachers let us off). Have you started your EPQ draft yet? I'm still researching and filling up my EPQ log plan :smile:

Once again,thanks so much for the advice on my EPQ i thought nobody would reply & i started to begin losing hope haha,Salamat! : )
I did EPQ two years ago, so it's a bit fresh for me, but I based my topic around art and design though, so may not be able to help you out that much in terms of the topic that you did, but I can give some advice with the reports that you have to do. :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much,I've been really struggling because my topic isn't as well known so thank you so so much for the help & advice. Right now my question title is on the lines of "Is Philippines Death Penalty in President Duterte's Drug War effective?". But I will definitley mention why the majority of filipinos support duterte in one of my chapters in my EPQ,i'm planning to make my own sources such as maybe interviewing filipiinos from different age range,such as my filipino mums and dads to grandparents,to relatives lving in the philippines right now. OR making like a survey for filipinos about their opinons on Duterte and the Philippine Drug War and comparing the opinions of older filipino's to younger more westernized filipinos who have more liberal views.

Right now because i deided to do law for uni i wanted to change my EPQ topic to that it is more tailored to law so i need to catch up alot with research,i feel like im way behind (right now my college is making us send our first EPQ draft but majority of students havent finished it yet the deadline is not as strict & teachers let us off). Have you started your EPQ draft yet? I'm still researching and filling up my EPQ log plan :smile:

Once again,thanks so much for the advice on my EPQ i thought nobody would reply & i started to begin losing hope haha,Salamat! : )

No problem! I was actually struggling with the EPQ myself so I was looking up threads to somewhat give me help and I guess I stumbled across this one! Making a questionaire or interview is really good for a primary source:smile: And what the first epq draft? Barely anyone in my class has even started and our first class was in September omg.. IDK what you mean by EPQ draft aha, just like initial ideas? Right now i've just filled up the log and audit (with loads of info, apparently you can get a lot of marks from that) but i've found a few links about the topics im going to include and just wrote short summaries about them!
The title you mention earlier sounds good. This looks like a fun topic (Ok that might not sound appropriate but you get my point). I will be interested to see how this goes.
Reply 8

Very interesting topic, if you want to link your EPQ to law, maybe focus on the law/human rights/political aspect of this, for example, “to what extent does duterte’s drug war violate universal human rights?” (Maybe you can talk about Asian values, and how they believe in the rights of the collective over the individual) or maybe you can do it on religion too, but I love the topic!
Original post by lea.bean
Very interesting topic, if you want to link your EPQ to law, maybe focus on the law/human rights/political aspect of this, for example, “to what extent does duterte’s drug war violate universal human rights?” (Maybe you can talk about Asian values, and how they believe in the rights of the collective over the individual) or maybe you can do it on religion too, but I love the topic!

Thank you so much for the advice! i really like how you worded the question and what you mentioned about asian values. Linking it back to law,im going to mention the official statutes and acts of the filipino death penalty & im also going to do a survey for filipinos to anwser about the death penalty in the drug war,any advice on what specific questions i should ask them? Again,thanks so much for the advice & support! :smile:
Thank you so much for the advice! i really like how you worded the question and what you mentioned about asian values. Linking it back to law,im going to mention the official statutes and acts of the filipino death penalty & im also going to do a survey for filipinos to anwser about the death penalty in the drug war,any advice on what specific questions i should ask them? Again,thanks so much for the advice & support! :smile:

No worries, since I didn’t do an EPQ helping someone makes me feel like I’m doing it indirectly :smile:

Yeah, you can also mention how it violates the international standard of human rights (international law/ UDHR) but it’s because it’s for the collective good of the people.

Im not really sure about the survey but I think you should ask them first on their view on the death penalty and if duterte’s case justifiable since it’s for the collective good?

p.s love the username :smile:))

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending