The Student Room Group

Accomodation

I'm studying at a college in Birmingham but living in Coventry, my fiance is looking at going to Birmingham university next year and I'll be joining him a year after when I've finished college. I was just wondering if I'm able to move into student accomodation with him if I'm a college student or is it typically just uni students in accomodation?
For standard university accommodation they will usually only allow one person to live in the room with occasional visits from others, a second person usually can't live there. They do usually have studio accommodation for couples but this tends to be reserved for postgrads.

For private accommodation it's possible, though if you're in a house or flat share you will need to figure it out and make sure you split everything fairly, people generally find it quite disrespectful and unfair if an extra person is living there permanently but not contributing enough. For private halls it's a bit simpler as you don't have to worry about this, but the company can just say yes or no to the extra person, sometimes they may charge extra for the additional occupant. There are also many more studios available in private halls, so you have a greater chance of getting one if you want to go down that route.

I'd also be aware that if you're under 18 then the answer is much more likely to be a no.
Reply 2
Thankyou! We are over 18 I'm 22 and he's 23, we don't technically need to be in the same room just the same apartment, I just don't know if in the private halls they'd accept a college student. I'll have a look into it thanks :smile:
Original post by Lucy-MayGee
Thankyou! We are over 18 I'm 22 and he's 23, we don't technically need to be in the same room just the same apartment, I just don't know if in the private halls they'd accept a college student. I'll have a look into it thanks :smile:

The council tax exemption is for college students too, so from that perspective I can't see why not, though they could have policies which prevent it.

Only way of knowing really is to enquire at different halls and see.

Quick Reply

Latest