The Student Room Group

Dyson Institute for Engineering, How good is it?

I recently just found out about the instuite and just want to now how good it is as Im thinking of applying, but wanted to know how it ranks compared to other institutes/unis and the future prospects.

Scroll to see replies

Insufficient data, but it must be competitive given high entry requirements
Reply 2
Just completed their admissions test. Are you still applying
Reply 3
How are you with vacuum cleaners?
Reply 4
Original post by Vinny C

Or electric cars.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't you get paid to attend it?
Original post by Vinny C

Original post by Doonesbury
Or electric cars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

or hairdryers... or fans... or hand-dryers
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Or electric cars.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Combine the two... imagine how clean the streets will be.
Does anyone know about the courses they offer. Is it just Engineering?
Reply 9
Original post by FanaticalWarlock
Does anyone know about the courses they offer. Is it just Engineering?

It's just Engineering

https://www.dysoninstitute.com/the-degree/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Svesh

Well im had second thoughts about it so sadly didnt apply. But if I dont get offers this year, then I difinetly will apply next year
Reply 11
Original post by BetaMale101
Don't you get paid to attend it?

Yes - it's basically a degree apprenticeship. In other words, it comes with a salary.
Reply 12
Original post by Svesh

Which admissions test was that? I've just been invited for the online assessment. Have you done it? How did it go? How long do you have till the deadline to take the test?
Reply 13
I just did it as soon as I got it. Not really sure about dates. I've just got my rejection email today tho. I'll just have to go through the regular UCAS route now
Reply 14
Original post by Svesh
I just did it as soon as I got it. Not really sure about dates. I've just got my rejection email today tho. I'll just have to go through the regular UCAS route now

Unlucky bro. It sucks that they reject people based off an online test. I am willing to bet there are people out there that cheat on these... I guess you'll only be cheating yourself cause when they ask you for an interview they'll realize. Did you apply for Engineering at Universities on Ucas or any other apprenticeships?
Original post by D7E
Unlucky bro. It sucks that they reject people based off an online test. I am willing to bet there are people out there that cheat on these... I guess you'll only be cheating yourself cause when they ask you for an interview they'll realize. Did you apply for Engineering at Universities on Ucas or any other apprenticeships?

Aptitude tests/problem-solving tests are very common for these kinds of schemes/jobs. It's just another way to filter applicants.
Reply 16
Original post by D7E

Yh kinda unlucky well there is only like a 5% chance of getting an offer I believe. I'm applying to four general and mechanical engineering on UCAS and a computer science degree apprenticeship partnered with vodafone (bit like this dyson one)
Reply 17
Original post by Blue_Cow
Aptitude tests/problem-solving tests are very common for these kinds of schemes/jobs. It's just another way to filter applicants.

I got the email yesterday, do you think it will be alright if I do the tests on the weekend? It doesn't state the date you have to do the test on the email so i'm assuming you have until you click on the link (which I haven't yet) to do it. Right?
Original post by D7E
I got the email yesterday, do you think it will be alright if I do the tests on the weekend? It doesn't state the date you have to do the test on the email so i'm assuming you have until you click on the link (which I haven't yet) to do it. Right?

I'm not sure. Best to contact admissions to double check.
Reply 19
Original post by Svesh
Yh kinda unlucky well there is only like a 5% chance of getting an offer I believe. I'm applying to four general and mechanical engineering on UCAS and a computer science degree apprenticeship partnered with vodafone (bit like this dyson one)

Yeah mine are mainly mechanical with 1 General at Warwick (but you get to choose after the 1st year or something). Tbh I don't really find circuits and electricals interesting, i'm more into Materials and T U R B I N E S . Tbh even if I am the 5% that get offered i'm not sure I would do it cause I really want to do an Integrated Masters and prob get a Meng Mech eng, with Dyson I swear all you get after 4 years is Beng General Engineering and after that you're forced to work for them full time :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending