The Student Room Group

Why do you support your team?

Hi

As some on here may know, I'm a Wigan fan, and will be for life. I was born close to the town, and was living in Wigan when I was born, hence I support the team.

I've lived in Sheffield most of my life so obviously it's difficult to get to games, especially with A Levels and stuff, but I always try and get to the Wednesday/United, Rotherham, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Doncaster games, etc, and I went to to the Preston away game a few weeks ago. Hopefully when I go to uni, get a job etc I'll be able to get to more games.

Anyway, I was just wondering why you guys support the team that you do? Parental connection? Locality? I'd be interested to know.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Who do you support, my friend?
Do you think you've got a good chance of winning the Premier League this year?
Hometown club. Family all support them.
I don't support a team as I'm not into football but if I had to it would be Sunderland as my dad supports them.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Hometown club. Family all support them.

Hope Villa get their act together soon man! I reckon you've still got a shot at promotion tbh. Unfortunately we appear to have dropped off since the start of the season, largely due to injuries and change of tactical approach away from home, I think.
(edited 5 years ago)
Arsenal, god knows why
Original post by Oneiropólos
Arsenal, god knows why

Do you have some connection with London?
For me it was kinda political, I moved to Glasgow and you need to pick one of the old firm :P

Rangers were doing really well at the time, and their fans are particularly vile in general so I picked Celtic, obv as a prodestant whose fav colour is blue :tongue: (never believe anyone who dismisses them as as bad as each other)
Original post by will_the_latic
Do you have some connection with London?

Born and raised
Born and raised

I see. Your strikers (Aubameyang and Lacazette) are amazing man. Kind of strike force that wins a team titles.
Original post by will_the_latic
I see. Your strikers (Aubameyang and Lacazette) are amazing man. Kind of strike force that wins a team titles.

:banana:

I wish
:banana:

I wish

Hahaha. Seriously though, why not? Unai Emery's a class manager and you've got some real quality in that squad. Stranger things have happened.
Born there, live there, work there and they're the family team.
Original post by sr90
Born there, live there, work there and they're the family team.

Ah, bit of a no brainer then eh :biggrin:? Who is your team?
My Brother was a glory hunter and supported United, therefore, making me a fan.
When i used to pay attention to football, I just supported the team I felt played the best, most entertaining football.

I know this is the equivalent to blasphemy around here, but I don't really understand why people support a single team for life, even if they are really boring/the owners don't care about the fans/the team are really far away from you etc :p:

These days I don't really follow at all though.
Original post by nexttime
When i used to pay attention to football, I just supported the team I felt played the best, most entertaining football.

I know this is the equivalent to blasphemy around here, but I don't really understand why people support a single team for life, even if they are really boring/the owners don't care about the fans/the team are really far away from you etc :p:

These days I don't really follow at all though.

It's a loyalty thing. But hey, if you gained enjoyment from following the best teams, then who am I to say you shouldn't support them? Did you go to any games?
Reply 18
Derby.

Despite living in Leeds, my entire family is from there and my uncle took me to my first game and I was hooked since. However every home game feels like an away day!
Original post by xDron3
Derby.

Despite living in Leeds, my entire family is from there and my uncle took me to my first game and I was hooked since. However every home game feels like an away day!

Haha I know the feeling man! Seems a bit weird travelling a couple of hours for a home game. Half my family are actually from near Wakefield and the other half from India. As I said, I was brought up (and still live) in Sheffield but was living in Wigan when I was born so I support the 'Tics. So home games are certainly a long way away when I manage to get down! Might be going to a uni in the area next year though and will try and get a season ticket if this happens.

Good luck with your promotion push! Nice club is Derby. Oh and btw, don't we play each other in a couple of weeks?

Quick Reply

Latest