The Student Room Group

First Parking Ticket

Basically received my first parking ticket today. I parked in a gym car park that my uncle is a member of (he came with me) and we left to go get drinks before going to gym. Came back to find a parking charge notice given by CPS (COMBINED PARKING SOLUTIONS). The fine is £60 if paid within 14 days or £100 if paid after that. I believe its unfair I was given the ticket because we are members of the gym and we were going to go after getting our drinks. The gym allows members to park in their car park so I don't see what we did wrong. I'm not 100% sure if you need to register your car with the gym to be able to park there but I have a few friends and family that have parked there over the years and nothing has happened ( they haven't registered their vehicles either).

I've read on a lot of sites that I don't need to pay this as its not enforceable and I should just ignore it etc but can I have some real advice please. I know this company is part of the IPC so it makes it more difficult to appeal/ignore?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by my name is 0
Basically received my first parking ticket today. I parked in a gym car park that my uncle is a member of (he came with me) and we left to go get drinks before going to gym. Came back to find a parking charge notice given by CPS (COMBINED PARKING SOLUTIONS). The fine is £60 if paid within 14 days or £100 if paid after that. I believe its unfair I was given the ticket because we are members of the gym and we were going to go after getting our drinks. The gym allows members to park in their car park so I don't see what we did wrong. I'm not 100% sure if you need to register your car with the gym to be able to park there but I have a few friends and family that have parked there over the years and nothing has happened ( they haven't registered their vehicles either).

I've read on a lot of sites that I don't need to pay this as its not enforceable and I should just ignore it etc but can I have some real advice please. I know this company is part of the IPC so it makes it more difficult to appeal/ignore?

Ask the gym why you were given the ticket, as presumably you went there during parking..?

Appeal against it. If you ignore it and it goes to court, you'll be facing even bigger charges - not worth the risk.
Reply 3
Ask the gym or whoever owns the complex to remove the parking fine before appealing, and just explain your side to them.
At my gym parking is free but you have to go to the gym. People have been given a parking charge before for parking in the car park and leaving as they apparently have cameras which see you go, even if you then go back and use the gym afterwards. If you explain it to them they’ll probably just drop it, I’m not sure how your gym works but at mine you swipe a card so there is a record of when you were at the gym.
Called the gym and they said it would have been fine if you parked in our spaces?? I thought they owned the whole thing and my friends have parked in the same area before as well.. They even said that they tell everyone that joins how the parking system works etc and there's a max stay of 3 hours and you have to sign your car in.... Well they never told me and I asked some friends if they went through that process with them and they didn't. In the end the gym said to phone up the COMPANY(CPS) as they issued it. I called them and after explaining what happened the really helpful guy was like yeah, if you read part 2 on the back of the ticket it says you need to write a letter and appeal, you can't do it over the phone. Now what....
Reply 6
Called the gym and they said it would have been fine if you parked in our spaces?? I thought they owned the whole thing and my friends have parked in the same area before as well.. They even said that they tell everyone that joins how the parking system works etc and there's a max stay of 3 hours and you have to sign your car in.... Well they never told me and I asked some friends if they went through that process with them and they didn't. In the end the gym said to phone up the COMPANY(CPS) as they issued it. I called them and after explaining what happened the really helpful guy was like yeah, if you read part 2 on the back of the ticket it says you need to write a letter and appeal, you can't do it over the phone. Now what....

^^^
Original post by IWMTom
^^^

Well most people say don't contact them and just wait then other say contact and try get them to drop it so I'm kinda stuck...
Well most people say don't contact them and just wait then other say contact and try get them to drop it so I'm kinda stuck...

If you don't contact them it may get worse. Contact them and let them know you're not in the wrong. Simple.

Quick Reply

Latest