The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone help me with finding a topic for the assignment? I'm not sure what to do. I know which topic area I want to in; Social Issues.
Original post by PandaGirl018
Can anyone help me with finding a topic for the assignment? I'm not sure what to do. I know which topic area I want to in; Social Issues.

Inequality is a good one. Part of the curriculum too
Gender inequality
Reply 23
Is there anywhere I can find a list of all the possible essay questions that could come up in the exam? I find it easier sometimes just to memorise the essay!
No but I can help you out if you want
Reply 25
Original post by Ross Peach
No but I can help you out if you want

Thank you! What questions would come up for crime?
What topics are you doing
Reply 27
These are the ones we’ve covered so far (I think!):

•Electorate Systems
•Voting Influences
•PM powers

•Causes and Theories of Crime
•Alternates to Prison

American President Powers

There’s probably a couple of more things I can’t quite remember.
Reply 28
Hello! Was wondering when people are going to start revision for the prelims? I'm not sure if now is too early or if i should have started earlier ?
Now is a perfect time
Anyone doing Brexit for their assignment I’m really lost with what to do
Reply 31
Original post by Ross Peach
Anyone doing Brexit for their assignment I’m really lost with what to do

I'll probably end up doing Brexit for my assignment. Things you could consider:

- Theresa May's draft agreement: Withdrawal agreement and Political Declaration
- No Deal Brexit Implications/ Benefits
- The potential for a "People's Vote" / 2nd Referendum
- How MPs vote on Brexit deal: Constituency representation vs Personal Views vs Party Line
- The case for/ against Scottish independence due to how Scotland voted
- Meaningful vote necessity: National Interest and Stability vs Democracy
thank you
Does anyone have any revising tips? It’s nearing prelim times in January and so far I know how to write the essays in my own time but I don’t know how to revise it lmao like how am I supposed to remember all the examples? It’s harder than I thought and I’m probably gonna stress over it
mind maps, flashcards etc it is going to stress us out because there is so much content but mind maps are quite good as the info is laid out clearly and makes it easier to remember
It’s a lot of examples to remember, I don’t know how I’ll be able to remember them all I guess just practicing lots of essays should help
Reply 36
Could someone put in course notes for democracy of UK and Scotland, social inequality and development of Africa? Thank you
I'll check
Hey guys, so we are currently working on assignments like choosing out topics and doing the research part and I rly need help! I chose to do Scottish Independence and my recommendation is “Would Scotland benefit from being independent?” And we came up with 3 arguments for which is about the tourism increasing the economy if it became independent and how the government would get rid of nuclear weapons and how Scotland has a better approach to immigration than the rest of the UK which will also help the economy if they have different people with different skills in jobs and stuff but I need counter arguments and I rly need help cos I can’t think of any and my arguments against are the currency changing and divided UK being a weaker member of NATO but I have counter arguments for my against just not my for. Could anyone help me please?
Reply 39
Original post by Courtj345
Hey guys, so we are currently working on assignments like choosing out topics and doing the research part and I rly need help! I chose to do Scottish Independence and my recommendation is “Would Scotland benefit from being independent?” And we came up with 3 arguments for which is about the tourism increasing the economy if it became independent and how the government would get rid of nuclear weapons and how Scotland has a better approach to immigration than the rest of the UK which will also help the economy if they have different people with different skills in jobs and stuff but I need counter arguments and I rly need help cos I can’t think of any and my arguments against are the currency changing and divided UK being a weaker member of NATO but I have counter arguments for my against just not my for. Could anyone help me please?

Sure, I have a strong interest in the Scottish independence debate and have written essays/ debate speeches about it. Some points to consider for why Scotland would be stronger in the United Kingdom vs Independent:

- Employment Security - 500,000 jobs reliant on the Union in Scotland

- Currency Security

- Frictionless Trade with a market currently worth 4x more than the EU

- Tariffs potentially introduced between Scotland and the rest of the UK

- We are nowhere near the entry requirements for the EU - we'd be out of the EU and UK for the foreseeable future

- If we even were allowed to join the EU, we'd have a hard-border or backstop situation with England as we'd be an external Schengen border

- The result of the 2014 referendum

- We don't have the funds to finance currently reserved matters like defence

- Banking and Pension Security guaranteed in UK legislation

- Internationally secure in the UK with the membership of NATO, UN Security Council etc

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending