The Student Room Group

Inner london teaching pays more but I want to give back to my borough?

I will be applying for jobs soon and I realised today that my borough isn't considered 'inner london' :frown: but I have always wanted to 'give back' to my borough and help the kids succeed.

Is it worth it? Teaching is low pay as it is but its even lower in places in london outside of inner london.

its primary btw not secondary teaching
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Depends what means more to you.
More money, in turn better quality of your own life, OR dream/ambition of giving back to your borough and helping your borough kids succeed.

Provided those're the only factors holding your decision up.
really sucks because I wish I could have both.

I think the second option will make me the happiest because im fulfilling some of my purpose. maybe I'll do inner london once I'm abit older and have kids/more commitments.
Original post by Secretnerd123
I will be applying for jobs soon and I realised today that my borough isn't considered 'inner london' :frown: but I have always wanted to 'give back' to my borough and help the kids succeed.

Is it worth it? Teaching is low pay as it is but its even lower in places in london but outsider inner london.

What are your priorities at the moment?

I mean, you're not stuck at this Greater London forever. You can always move to Inner London in the future.
Original post by Blue_Cow
What are your priorities at the moment?

I mean, you're not stuck at this Greater London forever. You can always move to Inner London in the future.

when I say 'give back' I mean to my borough I grew up in and studied in for the majority of my life. I know I can and will move to inner london in the near future but even when I do, I would still want to travel to my old borough.

btw your username and dp brought back memories from my childhood (funny as we're on the subject). what show was it again?
when I say 'give back' I mean to my borough I grew up in and studied in for the majority of my life. I know I can and will move to inner london in the near future but even when I do, I would still want to travel to my old borough.

btw your username and dp brought back memories from my childhood (funny as we're on the subject). what show was it again?

It's quite honourable that you have such a strong sense of duty to give back :smile: If only everyone had even a fraction of your attitude.

It's The Story Makers :tongue:
Original post by Blue_Cow
It's quite honourable that you have such a strong sense of duty to give back :smile: If only everyone had even a fraction of your attitude.

It's The Story Makers :tongue:

Thanks so much :smile: I really enjoyed my childhood and my primary/high school experiences and I feel like I can maybe relate to the children in some way. there are a lot of families on benefits in my borough and some 'challenging' kids so it would be so nice to be that role model for them. I think it would also be good for my mental health because it's something I chose and it would give me job satisfaction and the motivation to keep going when things get tough
bump because any advice from actual teachers would be great too if possible
bump because any advice from actual teachers would be great too if possible

Teaching is one of those careers where if you go up the ranks and become head of department or the like, you can earn quite nicely.

I'm just finishing my teacher training but I'm not looking to going into teaching as a career-just not right for me at all
Original post by super_kawaii
Teaching is one of those careers where if you go up the ranks and become head of department or the like, you can earn quite nicely.

I'm just finishing my teacher training but I'm not looking to going into teaching as a career-just not right for me at all

oh yes, I forgot about that!! I really hope to be the head of humanities or English

how are you finishing your teaching training if its the start of the year?
really sucks because I wish I could have both.

I think the second option will make me the happiest because im fulfilling some of my purpose. maybe I'll do inner london once I'm abit older and have kids/more commitments.

As long as you are upto the challenge. Sometimes, children from underpriviledged backgrounds can really test your patience even if you've been there yourself. Children in themselves can test your patience, and these ones are more likely to given their extra vulnerability.
And sometimes, it can feel as though the pay is not worth it. Especially when you have a bad day/week.
And given that you could be having an easier job with more pay and more advantages, you do need to be sure of your position on this or else it can have major drawbacks for yourself and could affect mental health too.

On the other hand, it is really noteworthy that you want to do this, and that can drive you and motivate you to push through the hard times, giving you greater job satisfaction which does wonders for mental health.

Right now as you are single/don't have a family, it would be a suitable time to pursue this if you want, knowing that you can always switch to elsewhere if things change for you in anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Don't you get sick of cliches?
oh yes, I forgot about that!! I really hope to be the head of humanities or English

how are you finishing your teaching training if its the start of the year?

I had a breakdown in April and ended up taking time out for my own mental health. It's the main reason I don't even want to start my NQT year! I've realised teaching is just completely the wrong career for me
Original post by Notoriety
Don't you get sick of cliches?

what do you want now?
I had a breakdown in April and ended up taking time out for my own mental health. It's the main reason I don't even want to start my NQT year! I've realised teaching is just completely the wrong career for me

well as long as you tried. I really hope you end up finding something you enjoy for a living and that's good for your mind :smile:

I'm sorry to hear this. However, thank god you realised this at this point in your training, rather than having a thoroughly miserable and futile NQT year. It's difficult enough as it is, but if your heart isn't in it, virtually impossible to achieve.

Is it worth it? Teaching is low pay as it is but its even lower in places in london but outside of inner london.

I would take advantage of the inner London weighting if your commute isn't too much of a hassle. Whilst 'giving back to your borough' is very noble, the harsh realities of the classroom and lack of any TLR for a while will mean that extra income will become very important to you post NQT.
Original post by Reality Check
I'm sorry to hear this. However, thank god you realised this at this point in your training, rather than having a thoroughly miserable and futile NQT year. It's difficult enough as it is, but if your heart isn't in it, virtually impossible to achieve.

how important is the NQT year? I have this fear of my future class not doing well in their assessments/making progress and then getting fired.
I'm not a teacher but I'd go for the highest paying job.
Then volunteer to help out charities/local people in my spare time.
Earn as much as possible, accept every allowance on offer and build up some savings.
Anglo saxon capitalism can be absolutely relentless, even without the uncertainty and likely negative economic impact of brexit.
Original post by Reality Check
I would take advantage of the inner London weighting if your commute isn't too much of a hassle. Whilst 'giving back to your borough' is very noble, the harsh realities of the classroom and lack of any TLR for a while will mean that extra income will become very important to you post NQT.

such a difficult choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending