The Student Room Group

Poor attendance

Hi,
So recently my attendance has been pretty poor since I started sixth form I'd say around 75%
I have a valid reason for this which is that I have a medical condition which can make attending school hard.
I'm worried that my grades might skip and feel like I'm already falling behind.
The school hasn't done much aside from giving me extra support lessons that don't really help (it's just a free period with a supply teacher that does nothing).
I'm not sure what to do... I've thought about other options but btecs and apprenticeships don't appeal to me. I'm unsure of what to do after sixth form and my career path.
Any advice would be helpful

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wi11iam.price
Hi,
So recently my attendance has been pretty poor since I started sixth form I'd say around 75%
I have a valid reason for this which is that I have a medical condition which can make attending school hard.
The school hasn't done much aside from giving me extra support lessons that don't really help (it's just a free period with a supply teacher that does nothing).
I'm not sure what to do... I've thought about other options but btecs and apprenticeships don't appeal to me. I'm unsure of what to do after sixth form and my career path.

Get some motivation.
Original post by random_matt
Get some motivation.

What do you mean motivation?

What, you do not know what motivation means?

It’s deciding that you want something - in your case, an education. You are not alone, and there are many young people in situations similar to yours who find the will to reach their educational goals against the odds.
You take the help offered to you by your tutors.
If it isn’t enough, ask for more help.
What about your parents? If you are struggling can they afford extra tuition for you?
If not, you could find resources yourself and work from home to catch up.
Everything is do-able. You just have to sit down, make a plan and pace yourself.
Original post by random_matt
What, you do not know what motivation means?

"Get some motivation" isn't exactly descriptive is it?
Original post by Seamus123
It’s deciding that you want something - in your case, an education. You are not alone, and there are many young people in situations similar to yours who find the will to reach their educational goals against the odds.
You take the help offered to you by your tutors.
If it isn’t enough, ask for more help.
What about your parents? If you are struggling can they afford extra tuition for you?
If not, you could find resources yourself and work from home to catch up.
Everything is do-able. You just have to sit down, make a plan and pace yourself.

Honestly, I don't think I have the will power to do it though. I'm not a person that likes spending hours outside of school revising.
Honestly, I don't think I have the will power to do it though. I'm not a person that likes spending hours outside of school revising.

Then you need to find another path.
Original post by Student-95
Then you need to find another path.

What other path is there?
What other path is there?

There are loads of paths outside academia - you need to think about what you're good at, what you are interested in and what you can make a career out of then go from there.

So what are you going to do about completing your education? The world won’t come to you, you know. You need an education to progress to the next stage of your life. You need to find alternative ways of doing this if school isn’t the answer. Home schooling may be an alternative, but if you feel you can’t spend hours revising out of school, then that may not work for you either.
Where are your parents in all of this?
You are old enough to be taking decisions for yourself about your education. But you need a better frame of mind to achieve this.
The Christmas break will come around soon so you should discuss with family how you can achieve the best outcome for you.
Original post by Seamus123
So what are you going to do about completing your education? The world won’t come to you, you know. You need an education to progress to the next stage of your life. You need to find alternative ways of doing this if school isn’t the answer. Home schooling may be an alternative, but if you feel you can’t spend hours revising out of school, then that may not work for you either.
Where are your parents in all of this?
You are old enough to be taking decisions for yourself about your education. But you need a better frame of mind to achieve this.
The Christmas break will come around soon so you should discuss with family how you can achieve the best outcome for you.

My parents are dead and I live in a shoebox
I know what you’re going through William. I suffer from IBS (look it up) and I have missed quite a bit of college as well. My attendance was at one point down to 75% (like you) but I have been attending more so as of now I have managed to get it up to 82%.

Not to mention I also get tired A LOT and I go to bed way too late (though I do try to get to bed at a reasonable hour). I am also late for nearly every lesson as well.

I am doing a level 3 ICT course and I am getting assignments and homework thrown at me left, right and centre and I’m just getting bogged down. I’m also in college EVERY day Monday-Friday. I start the week feeling quite fresh but by the end of the week I’m just tired out and need a rest.

I would suggest having a talk with your personal tutor (or tutors) might help.

At my college, I was contacted by the colleges SpLD Teacher / Assessor. We arranged an appointment and she asked me some questions and we had a discussion about what I found difficult and what would make things better eg sitting closer to the tutor etc.

This helped a lot as the information was passed on to all of my tutors. So they now understand why I can’t make it to class on time or if I need time off.

So check if your college has someone like who I mentioned above and try to arrange your appointment.

I also know what you mean when you say that you lack motivation. I am exactly the same so don’t feel alone. In fact my previous tutor was constantly on at me for not being motivated enough, but that was mainly because I didn’t like the work (very practical-based).

Anyway, best of luck and I wish you all the best with your studies. :smile:
try to email the teachers to send you work and see what you are missing in class.. Make notes at home and revise at home. You can teach yourself parts of the a level course dont worry!
It ain't a big deal
There's more than enough material in textbooks / online
Reputation wise I wouldn't worry either, it ain't. A big deal if you have an invalid reason unless it like 50%
I have severe depression and anxiety, I had about 60% attendance last year (year 12), and I've just been predicted A*AA at A Level. I think it really depends on your subjects as to what to do -- prioritise the lessons you struggle in the most and try your best for attending them. I did this with Literature and History -- hence my A prediction in both topics. If you've only just started year 12, just make sure you're catching up on work and understanding it. I get you don't like spending hours out of school revising, but a bad attendance means it's necessary in order to achieve good grades. You have to work even harder because you're not in the lessons -- while I understand it's out of your control -- you need to motivate yourself, mainly because you're unsure of your future. Getting the best grades possible will allow you to do whatever you want when you finish sixth form, you won't be stuck with crappy A Levels and then regret them for the rest of your life.
Hi,

As someone who's self studying A-Levels about 60% of the time - They absolutely require a fair bit of work outside of school. For each day you miss, it's 3-4 hours of lessons, alongside 1-2 hours of free time you'd use for NEA's, homework, UCAS prep etc. - So to do well, you have to be matching (or near matching) those kinds of hours. I can't speak for you, as our health problems will be pretty different, but motivation and a bit of discipline go a long way. Know your limits, but accept that sometimes you'll be doing work when you don't neccessarily want to be, or are fully healthy at the time.

If you honestly don't think you can see yourself putting in that extra effort to catch up, then a BTEC or Level 3 equiv. will likely be less work for you. Figure out whether or not you'd like to go to university to study a particular course, or what career path you might like to enter, and go from there.
Hi,

Why do Btec's not appeal?
I am doing a BTEC course. Last year I did ICT level 2 BTEC, this year level 3.
Original post by CollegeStudent99
I know what you’re going through William. I suffer from IBS (look it up) and I have missed quite a bit of college as well. My attendance was at one point down to 75% (like you) but I have been attending more so as of now I have managed to get it up to 82%.

Not to mention I also get tired A LOT and I go to bed way too late (though I do try to get to bed at a reasonable hour). I am also late for nearly every lesson as well.

I am doing a level 3 ICT course and I am getting assignments and homework thrown at me left, right and centre and I’m just getting bogged down. I’m also in college EVERY day Monday-Friday. I start the week feeling quite fresh but by the end of the week I’m just tired out and need a rest.

I would suggest having a talk with your personal tutor (or tutors) might help.

At my college, I was contacted by the colleges SpLD Teacher / Assessor. We arranged an appointment and she asked me some questions and we had a discussion about what I found difficult and what would make things better eg sitting closer to the tutor etc.

This helped a lot as the information was passed on to all of my tutors. So they now understand why I can’t make it to class on time or if I need time off.

So check if your college has someone like who I mentioned above and try to arrange your appointment.

I also know what you mean when you say that you lack motivation. I am exactly the same so don’t feel alone. In fact my previous tutor was constantly on at me for not being motivated enough, but that was mainly because I didn’t like the work (very practical-based).

Anyway, best of luck and I wish you all the best with your studies. :smile:

Hi, I also have ibs conicidentally, I get it really bad though I don't have flare up it's more like everyday. My tutors a bit of a prick and thinks I need to attend lessons despite my problem and hasn't really done anything to help.
I'm not sure if the school even has a person that deals with problems like this. If their is I'm not aware.

Quick Reply

Latest