The Student Room Group

I got my Cambridge interview, but what about other universities?

I think I read somewhere that when Cambridge offers an interview, they view you as a candidate who actually has a chance of studying in Cambridge based on your grades. Is this a good indication that all my other university choices will give me an offer, since they don’t have any additional steps to their admission process? I’m especially looking at UCL since that’s a uni I’m really interested in. Thanks for your help!
Original post by maryam_g
I think I read somewhere that when Cambridge offers an interview, they view you as a candidate who actually has a chance of studying in Cambridge based on your grades. Is this a good indication that all my other university choices will give me an offer, since they don’t have any additional steps to their admission process? I’m especially looking at UCL since that’s a uni I’m really interested in. Thanks for your help!

Other universities have absolutely no idea where else you will have applied, let alone what their responses are.

The only thing that could potentially have given it away is your date of application, but even that isn't a hard and fast rule, as you may just have been really on top of everything and got your application in really early, without applying to Cambridge.

Other unis will judge you based on your academic attainments, predicted grades, and whether or not they believe you to be a good fit for the course and uni, judging from your PS and any interviews. Cambridge and UCL are completely different styles of uni, so just because Cambs sees you as a potential good fit, doesn't necessarily mean UCL will.
Original post by super_kawaii
Other universities have absolutely no idea where else you will have applied, let alone what their responses are.

The only thing that could potentially have given it away is your date of application, but even that isn't a hard and fast rule, as you may just have been really on top of everything and got your application in really early, without applying to Cambridge.

Other unis will judge you based on your academic attainments, predicted grades, and whether or not they believe you to be a good fit for the course and uni, judging from your PS and any interviews. Cambridge and UCL are completely different styles of uni, so just because Cambs sees you as a potential good fit, doesn't necessarily mean UCL will.

No no! I didn’t mean that they’ll accept me just because I have a Camb interview. I just meant that since Cambridge gave me an interview, that must mean that my grades are good enough to make a competitive application, right? I have no way of knowing exactly how they perceive my grades because I’m an international student, so I’m just trying to see if other unis will think my grades are competitive as well. I hope this makes sense!
No no! I didn’t mean that they’ll accept me just because I have a Camb interview. I just meant that since Cambridge gave me an interview, that must mean that my grades are good enough to make a competitive application, right? I have no way of knowing exactly how they perceive my grades because I’m an international student, so I’m just trying to see if other unis will think my grades are competitive as well. I hope this makes sense!

Depends if they deem your grades vs predicted grades and personal statement as good enough. One uni offering you a place is completely meaningless when it comes to somewhere else offering you a place. UCL will consider whether they deem you a good fit as well from all your information, so there’s no guarantees. London is completely different from Cambridge so is definitely something to consider

1) There are quotas to limit the number of international students at Cambridge 2)Cambridge interview the majority of their candidates, recieving an interview does not equate to a competitive competition. There are many contributory factors, since the most competitive courses have admission examinations; (Invites for these courses have not been sent), therefore the only screening process they have were to interview a greater proportion of candidates.
Original post by Science99999
1) There are quotas to limit the number of international students at Cambridge 2)Cambridge interview the majority of their candidates, recieving an interview does not equate to a competitive competition. There are many contributory factors, since the most competitive courses have admission examinations; (Invites for these courses have not been sent), therefore the only screening process they have were to interview a greater proportion of candidates.

I got invited for their computer science interview which has an admission examination.

edit: oh, I see. you meant pre-interview examinations. that makes sense!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6

1) No. Only for medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

2) Cambridge interview all the candidates they think have a realistic chance of being offered a place. No-one receives an offer without an interview.

Why did you bother applying to Cambridge if you want UCL?
Original post by Muttley79
Why did you bother applying to Cambridge if you want UCL?

because... why not?

- I think the whole interview process will be a great experiece.
- what if I don't get in UCL, but I get in Cambridge? (I know not really probable, but still!)
- I had to choose something as my five choices.
- I might change my mind.
- my parents insisted that applying wouldn't hurt, and I agreed.

did you just deliberately pretend to misinterpret the OPs post just to annoy people on here? hate it when people do that.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
did you just deliberately pretend to misinterpret the OPs post just to annoy people on here? hate it when people do that.

No.
No.

so you actually thought the OP was implying other universities would be impressed by an applicant getting an interview at Cambridge? maybe it's a cognitive issue.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
so you actually thought the OP was implying other universities would be impressed by an applicant getting an interview at Cambridge? maybe it's a cognitive issue.

No, I just work hard on my teacher training, 6am to 6pm. I know nowhere gives one tiny iota of a **** about which other unis an applicant is applying to because all they want if for you to accept THEM. I'm definitely not the one with cognitive issues

Thank you for your concern, it is not needed however.
(edited 5 years ago)
because... why not?

- I think the whole interview process will be a great experiece.
- what if I don't get in UCL, but I get in Cambridge? (I know not really probable, but still!)
- I had to choose something as my five choices.
- I might change my mind.
- my parents insisted that applying wouldn't hurt, and I agreed.

I still can't see the point . unless you couldn't say no to your parents which I find sad...
I still can't see the point . unless you couldn't say no to your parents which I find sad...

It's always possible to have a complete change of heart once you actually visit somewhere in person though tbh.

I remember I was really keen to apply to Edinburgh, but then I visited for an open day, I found it so horrific I not only decided I wouldn't firm it should I receive an offer, I ended up not even applying in the first place!

I don't know how to explain it, I guess. I certainly don't regret it now! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending