The Student Room Group

Join the Army without citizenship?

Hi! Does British armed forced recruit any foreigners? And what is the standard?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by southpacific

Regular Army

British Citizens, British subjects under the Nationality Act, 1981, British Protected Persons or Commonwealth Citizens. If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country, you'll need to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before you start an application to join the Army.

You must not have been out of the UK for a continuous period of more than 180 days (6 months) during this 5 year period. A passport is required with validity for 2 years from the date of entering Army service. Your UK Residency status and Passport will be checked at application.

Army reserve

To join the Army Reserve, you need to Prove that you either have British citizenship, or if you are a Commonwealth Citizen, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Indefinite leave to Enter (IlE) must be stamped on your passport (Settlement) in the UK.

Citizens of the Irish Republic joining the Army Reserve must be living in the UK to be eligible to join Refugees and Asylum Seekers are not eligible to apply to join the British Army. All candidates who have a Visa must provide proof of this throughout the recruiting process.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Regular Army

British Citizens, British subjects under the Nationality Act, 1981, British Protected Persons or Commonwealth Citizens. If you are a citizen of a Commonwealth country, you'll need to have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before you start an application to join the Army.

You must not have been out of the UK for a continuous period of more than 180 days (6 months) during this 5 year period. A passport is required with validity for 2 years from the date of entering Army service. Your UK Residency status and Passport will be checked at application.

Army reserve

To join the Army Reserve, you need to Prove that you either have British citizenship, or if you are a Commonwealth Citizen, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) or Indefinite leave to Enter (IlE) must be stamped on your passport (Settlement) in the UK.

Citizens of the Irish Republic joining the Army Reserve must be living in the UK to be eligible to join Refugees and Asylum Seekers are not eligible to apply to join the British Army. All candidates who have a Visa must provide proof of this throughout the recruiting process.

All right. I'm from PRC and certainly don't qualify for any of these....
btw, is there any special programme for foreigners? I've heard that France and US both have things like this.
All right. I'm from PRC and certainly don't qualify for any of these....
btw, is there any special programme for foreigners? I've heard that France and US both have things like this.

Unfortunately not - the British Army only recruits British & Commonwealth citizens.
Unfortunately not - the British Army only recruits British & Commonwealth citizens.

thx, anyway:biggrin:
Reply 5
If i can obtain a dual citizenship (i can) are the residency requirements the same?
Reply 6
Original post by Limalima
If i can obtain a dual citizenship (i can) are the residency requirements the same?

Yes
I am EU citizen that has lived I the Uk for 7 years now, And I am eligible for a permanent residence card, am I able to join the RAF?
I am EU citizen that has lived I the Uk for 7 years now, And I am eligible for a permanent residence card, am I able to join the RAF?
Regular Army

Army reserve

Or would i have to obtain British Citizenship after 1 year of having the Card
Original post by Renner Rivero

You'll have to check with the RAF. Some roles have different requirements.
Am from Kenya,but haven't been to UK.am I eligibility for the recruitment.Currently am in Qatar
Bula
so for a commonwealth citizen who has never been to the UK is not eligible to be recruited?
Original post by Fungai Matupa
so for a commonwealth citizen who has never been to the UK is not eligible to be recruited?

Those rules have changed recently, so you might now be able to.
(Original post by Drewski)Those rules have changed recently, so you might now be able to.
i tried managed to creat an account but to proceed with elegibility test theres this field where i have to state the passport i used to enter the UK as well as the date, now for someone like me whos never been to the UK am failing to skip this field which goes back to being in the UK for 5 years problem. any suggestions?
(Original post by Drewski)Those rules have changed recently, so you might now be able to.
i tried managed to creat an account but to proceed with elegibility test theres this field where i have to state the passport i used to enter the UK as well as the date, now for someone like me whos never been to the UK am failing to skip this field which goes back to being in the UK for 5 years problem. any suggestions?

The system won't have caught up with the new rules yet. Try contacting the recruitment service via Facebook or Twitter.
Original post by Drewski
The system won't have caught up with the new rules yet. Try contacting the recruitment service via Facebook or Twitter.

thanx mate, though ive sent these guys two messages already but they are yet to respond.
one last question has the recruitment process already started?
thanx mate, though ive sent these guys two messages already but they are yet to respond.
one last question has the recruitment process already started?

It's constantly ongoing.

You need to be in the commonwealth. Simples.

Quick Reply

Latest