The Student Room Group

National 5 English 2018/19

There doesn't appear to be a Nat 5 English thread yet so here's one!

Scroll to see replies

Anyone else doing personal reflective for their folio?
Original post by pineapplepink

Yes I am, mine is about how when I was little I wanted my sisters to leave and now that they have, I really miss them. What are you doing?
I did a music grade exam earlier in the year, so I'm doing it on that. Have you got your first draft back yet? We have and so we're editing it now.
I did a music grade exam earlier in the year, so I'm doing it on that. Have you got your first draft back yet? We have and so we're editing it now.

Nope, we just handed our first draft in yesterday. My teacher said that we won't get it back until after our prelims (at the end of December) because she wants us to focus on them instead folio work.
What are you doing for the textual analysis? We are doing Carol Ann Duffy poems.
Interesting- the year before us did Carol Ann Duffy poems also, but for textual analysis we're doing Norman MacCaig poems. We've actually finished annotating all 6 now. I think we'll be moving on to our persuasive essays next week.
(edited 5 years ago)
Interesting- the year before us did Carol Ann Duffy poems also, but for textual analysis we're doing William MacCaig poems. We've actually finished annotating all 6 now. I think we'll be moving on to our persuasive essays next week

My friends class is doing Macaig. Our class have only annotated 3 of the poems so far, we did our persuasive last term.
Original post by Valeriex
My friends class is doing Macaig. Our class have only annotated 3 of the poems so far, we did our persuasive last term.

Yeah we've just gone straight through all 6 poems and we did our reflective essays mostly at home. So far we've only done the intros to out persuasive essays and then after that we'll probably just start revising for prelims.

Yes, I am just starting mine. I am going to do it on my fear of failure and how it has affected my life. Do you think this is a good topic?
What about you? what are you doing yours on?
Original post by agirlcalledtheo
Yes, I am just starting mine. I am going to do it on my fear of failure and how it has affected my life. Do you think this is a good topic?
What about you? what are you doing yours on?

That's a great topic! You'll be able to do good wider reflection with that.
I'm doing mine on when I did a music grade exam for the first time and how I dealt with the pressure.
That's a great topic! You'll be able to do good wider reflection with that.
I'm doing mine on when I did a music grade exam for the first time and how I dealt with the pressure.

Thats quite similar actually, because i am guessing you will talk about the stress and anxiety that comes with it?
Original post by Rumaan Yusaf
I’m doing Norman MacCaig and I find his poems quite easy. The only thing I struggle with close reading and the 8 marker (set text)

I feel as though we are the only school that hasn't studied poems yet. We have read Of Mice and Men and Sailmaker by thats about it.
I feel as though we are the only school that hasn't studied poems yet. We have read Of Mice and Men and Sailmaker by thats about it.

Not everyone will do poetry- you only need to study two different types of text, so since you have a book (Of Mice and Men, critical essay) and a play (Sailmaker, Scottish text), you won't need to do poetry :smile:
(Sometimes teachers will give their class a third text so they can have a choice what to answer about in the exam, but that just gives you more to learn, and isn't necessary as you can only use 2 of them in the exam)
I've got my English prelim today. We have only done 3 poems so far out of the 6 but I only know quotes for 3 of them, I'm praying that I don't have to compare a poem to Mrs. Midas.
Original post by Labrador99
Not everyone will do poetry- you only need to study two different types of text, so since you have a book (Of Mice and Men, critical essay) and a play (Sailmaker, Scottish text), you won't need to do poetry :smile:
(Sometimes teachers will give their class a third text so they can have a choice what to answer about in the exam, but that just gives you more to learn, and isn't necessary as you can only use 2 of them in the exam)

This is really helpful thank you. I would probably know this if i listened a little more in class. Lesson learned.
What is everyone doing for their persausive essay?
I have given my first draft in but i recently decided to ditch it and start a new. Good idea or not?
Original post by Valeriex
I've got my English prelim today. We have only done 3 poems so far out of the 6 but I only know quotes for 3 of them, I'm praying that I don't have to compare a poem to Mrs. Midas.

Hope it goes well for you :smile:
Thats quite similar actually, because i am guessing you will talk about the stress and anxiety that comes with it?

yeah exactly
(Original post by pineapplepink)yeah exactly
Well if you ever want to show me it and get an outside view from someone that doesn't know you i would be happy to read it and give some feedback.
cool thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending