The Student Room Group

Economics at King's College London...

It seems the BSc Economics course at KCL is new and I'm debating whether to go for it as my fifth choice as oppose to Bath/Nottingham/Bristol.

Is KCL better than these universities?
Is employability from KCL as good as say UCL/Warwick etc?
Is it considered a top top university (from what I've seen, it seems to be relatively low on the league tables)?
How is Economics from KCL viewed?
Are you trying to get into investment banking?
Original post by Grade A
Are you trying to get into investment banking?

Nope. I want to go into consultancy.
Original post by Darkesio
Nope. I want to go into consultancy.

I only know about IB so stick around for more people to answer these questions.
Reply 4
Original post by Infinite Series
I only know about IB so stick around for more people to answer these questions.

Hey mate could you provide some insight on this (i.e. with regards to IB). I applied to KCL for econ and management and I'm wondering if I'm shafting myself. With investment into business school will the current ranking's reflect future ones? And if I were to do a masters at somewhere like LSE would that make me a 'target'?
Original post by yourGfin
Hey mate could you provide some insight on this (i.e. with regards to IB). I applied to KCL for econ and management and I'm wondering if I'm shafting myself. With investment into business school will the current ranking's reflect future ones? And if I were to do a masters at somewhere like LSE would that make me a 'target'?

I'm no professional at this stuff but i'll tell you what I think (i'm only in Y13):smile:.

The rankings don't fluctuate too much so it's safe to bet that KCL will stay in a similar position in future. It's certainly possible for you to get Spring weeks, but it's going to be a bit more difficult since you don't go to a main target uni (KCL is a semi-target). I've heard that King's lacks connections in the financial sector that the main target unis have.

You're still in with a great chance of landing spring weeks. Make your CV look really good so any insight days/internships/work experience/jobs should be included and whether they are relevant to finance or not, explain what you learned from them and how it would make you a good investment banker. Read Financial Times, Bloomberg, Investors Chronicle. Follow the news and keep up to date with global issues especially markets. I know that the selection process screens out a few unis, but I can't see why you'd get rejected simply because you went to KCL instead of LSE. Ace interviews by knowing about the company and the division you want to apply to and why you want to be an investment banker/work for the company mostly. And ace tests, there are a few places you can use but I personally won't be buying any of that stuff.

Doing a masters is good, but the 'easiest' route is spring week, summer app. then grad role - as opposed to masters than job - as youre going to be competing on another level with more debt.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Infinite Series
I'm no professional at this stuff but i'll tell you what I think (i'm only in Y13):smile:.

The rankings don't fluctuate too much so it's safe to bet that KCL will stay in a similar position in future. It's certainly possible for you to get Spring weeks, but it's going to be a bit more difficult since you don't go to a main target uni (KCL is a semi-target). I've heard that King's lacks connections in the financial sector that the main target unis have.

You're still in with a great chance of landing spring weeks. Make your CV look really good so any insight days/internships/work experience/jobs should be included and whether they are relevant to finance or not, explain what you learned from them and how it would make you a good investment banker. Read Financial Times, Bloomberg, Investors Chronicle. Follow the news and keep up to date with global issues especially markets. I know that the selection process screens out a few unis, but I can't see why you'd get rejected simply because you went to KCL instead of LSE. Ace interviews by knowing about the company and the division you want to apply to and why you want to be an investment banker/work for the company mostly. And ace tests, there are a few places you can use but I personally won't be buying any of that stuff.

Doing a masters is good, but the 'easiest' route is spring week, summer app. then grad role - as opposed to masters than job - as youre going to be competing on another level with more debt.

List some of those “target unis” and also do you think taking accounting and finance over economics hinders my chances of getting into Investment banking? Personally applying to Bath (Good) Sussex (Decent)
Original post by Juju12355
List some of those “target unis” and also do you think taking accounting and finance over economics hinders my chances of getting into Investment banking? Personally applying to Bath (Good) Sussex (Decent)

I'd advise you to do some research as soon as possible. A wealth of information is available in this forum https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Which universities are the best for banking?
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick (in no order) are typically targeted more by banks. After this, Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Loughborough, Manchester, Cass and some other ones are semi-targets. KCL is also a semi-target, that's all the relevant info you really need.

The course you take will neither make you more competitive nor prepare you more than any other course. If you submit a good enough application, your chances won't be hindered by going to a semi-target.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
How is the Economics course at Kings?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending