The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Interview for physics at the University of Manchester November 2018

Hey guys, did anyone applying to physics get an invitation for an interview in November? I've been reading a lot and started preparing for the interview this week but if you have any insight on how everything goes it would be great to know about it. Thank you!
Original post by DrafteeDragon
Hey guys, did anyone applying to physics get an invitation for an interview in November? I've been reading a lot and started preparing for the interview this week but if you have any insight on how everything goes it would be great to know about it. Thank you!

https://university.which.co.uk/university-of-manchester-m20/courses/physics-mphys-2019-b267428068c4
87% of applicants who apply get an offer. They aren’t using the interview to select applicants- it’s a way to get you to visit so they can sell the course to you.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Hi,

I have an interview on Nov 22nd for straight Physics.
I looked at 'Physics with x' courses and they all seemed to sacrifice elements of the core syllabus to squeeze in the other bits, so I just went pure Physics.

I'm a mature student distance learning, so I was honestly surprised by the invitation. My grades and statement are good, but still :smile:

I don't think the interview is like Oxbridge/Imperial where the grill you on tough academic questions for 20 mins. I think it's more of an opportunity for all parties to meet eachother. Still, always best to make sure you have all your ducks in a row!

Maybe reply to this thread once you've had your interview and let me know how you got on?
Original post by Alhazre
Hi,

I looked at 'Physics with x' courses and they all seemed to sacrifice elements of the core syllabus to squeeze in the other bits, so I just went pure Physics.

I'm a mature student distance learning, so I was honestly surprised by the invitation. My grades and statement are good, but still :smile:

I don't think the interview is like Oxbridge/Imperial where the grill you on tough academic questions for 20 mins. I think it's more of an opportunity for all parties to meet eachother. Still, always best to make sure you have all your ducks in a row!

Maybe reply to this thread once you've had your interview and let me know how you got on?

Hey! I’ll be at the interview for Physics on November 22nd as well so unfortunately I won’t be able to help you and give you advice. But it’s nice to know we’ll be in this together
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
I meant more to just catch up and share stories of the day :smile:
Reply 5
What PQ said is not completely true. I was an international applicant last year to the UoM for the maths and physics joint BSc course (which had an offer rate of 64%) and at the interview day I was actually asked academic questions about my application and to solve a maths problem. I do not know if this is the same as it goes for Oxbridge (as I did not apply to these institutions), but it certainly was a bit of a serious interview in my case. That said, UoM did not even have standard entry requirements for my qualification (at least they are not listed on their website) so this may be the reason why it was all so much of an academic interview for me. If you are studying A-Level or another well-recognized qualification you are probably going to be in a much better position than I was. Anyways, I eventually got a rejection after the interview day, thus they do reject applicants in some circumstances. Wish you good luck.
Reply 6
Original post by 534443
What PQ said is not completely true. I was an international applicant last year to the UoM for the maths and physics joint BSc course (which had an offer rate of 64%) and at the interview day I was actually asked academic questions about my application and to solve a maths problem. I do not know if this is the same as it goes for Oxbridge (as I did not apply to these institutions), but it certainly was a bit of a serious interview in my case. That said, UoM did not even have standard entry requirements for my qualification (at least they are not listed on their website) so this may be the reason why it was all so much of an academic interview for me. If you are studying A-Level or another well-recognized qualification you are probably going to be in a much better position than I was. Anyways, I eventually got a rejection after the interview day, thus they do reject applicants in some circumstances. Wish you good luck.

Hi, this is really helpful, thank you.
It seems that a lot of people don't get asked academic questions, but a few do, so I'm just going to assume that I will and prepare accordingly.
Reply 7
UCAS Track says “attend interview, submit project work or complete a test” by specific date. When you agree it’s signs you up for an interview day. No option to submit work.

Can you only get an offer out of Manchester by attending an interview day?
Reply 8
On the PDF they send with the interview invitation, they say: 'There can be some flexibility around attending these days not all interviews are compulsory. However some are and students will only be made an offer if they attend'. Best to contact the admissions department if you can't make it and see what they can do. The chap I spoke to seemed very helpful on both occasions I called (once before I applied to ask about something, and once to rearrange my interview day). Both times very helpful and answered my question(s) in full.
Reply 9
No update from UoM Physics after the interview on 22 Nov. Is anyone sharing the same worry?
Original post by Legoking
No update from UoM Physics after the interview on 22 Nov. Is anyone sharing the same worry?

I’ve been incredibly worried too. I had my physics interview on the 22nd and received nothing since. At least we’re not alone so that’s a relief
Reply 11
Hi guys, I got my offer through about a week ago so I think you'll get yours through very soon.
Original post by Alhazre
Hi guys, I got my offer through about a week ago so I think you'll get yours through very soon.

What are the grades?
Reply 13
Original post by stoyfan
What are the grades?
A*/A*/A
Original post by Alhazre
A*/A*/A

WHat kind of questions did they ask you?
Reply 15
Original post by stoyfan
WHat kind of questions did they ask you?

Mostly it was an easygoing conversation about areas of physics that I enjoyed/my own little theories about things and projects I was interested in starting.
I brought all of that up though, he didn't expect me to have loads of interests outside of the course. He didn't specifically say 'ok, name x number of things you do outside of the course' or similar.
We talked about what Manchester was like as a city, the regenerative breaking systems in an F1 car, just offshoots of the things I'd mentioned really.

He asked me some basic calculus questions: dy/dx of sin(x), which is trivial, and dy/sin(x) of sin(x), which = 1.

Those were the only 2 'technical' questions I was asked, the rest was a conversation about my interests.
However, some people who I spoke to on the day said that they had very different experiences. One guy said that his interviewer didn't even make eye contact with him and just seemed annoyed to have to interview someone.
I also spoke to a large number of people who said that their interview was similar to mine, so I think it really depends on who you get.
Original post by Alhazre
Hi,

Hi, I'm a mature distance learner too! Also applying for Physics. How long after you applied did you get the interview invite from Manchester?
Reply 17
Original post by Kerry333
Hi, I'm a mature distance learner too! Also applying for Physics. How long after you applied did you get the interview invite from Manchester?

Hi,
I got an offer for an interview the day after I submitted my application (this is quite common, but I've also spoken to people who had to wait a bit).

Just to point out as well, nobody was bothered that I was a mature student. It probably helped that I look 21 (baby face), but honestly nobody really cared.

Good luck with your distance studying! :smile:
Original post by Alhazre
Hi,
I got an offer for an interview the day after I submitted my application (this is quite common, but I've also spoken to people who had to wait a bit).

Just to point out as well, nobody was bothered that I was a mature student. It probably helped that I look 21 (baby face), but honestly nobody really cared.

Good luck with your distance studying! :smile:

That's good to hear! And thanks, same to you! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest