The Student Room Group

F2 stand-alone programme

I'm a little confused with how the F2 stand-alone works. I get how the normal foundation programme works and how the application for it works but lost on the F2 stand-alone. I was reading about the F2 stand-alone and I wanted more information about the types of programmes available. It says on the UKFPO booklet regarding F2 stand-alone that after a successful interview, applicants will be asked to pick programmes which they actively wish to be considered for. I want to know what type of programmes these are. Are these programmes rotations, foundation schoosl, or what? I don't exactly know what these programmes are. Are you doing 3 rotations in that year or is it 1 rotation for 1 whole year?

I grew up in London my whole life but I've studying medicine in Europe for the last 4 years (I finish roughly November 2020). I should be eligible to apply for full GMC certification which is why I want to do the F2 stand-alone.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alright, I've done a lot more reading so I'll post what I found out for anyone that is still looking in the future.

The Stand-alone programmes are essentially places that open up on the normal foundation programme. Since the UKFPO are not aware how many people will drop, they make an estimate and so that means the number of spots available can change. The are not offering F1 stand-alone this coming year (there was 21 spots the previous year) whilst there were 384 F2 stand-alone spots (reduced from 500 I believe). UK/EU get first picks or something along the lines of that. The thread "Foundation stand-alone application process" was a great deal of help so I advise read that. I believe the preferences that are being chosen are the location but still a little though. I know if you apply for the traditional foundation programme, you rank your the deanery first, then in the next round you rank the jobs but don't understand the F2 stand-alone fully. Maybe someone with more expercience on this matter can explain.

@Chrismed I've tagged someone I found from the topic who went through the process. Not sure if they are still around. Would love to get Chris' insight to this or anyone else who knows.
Reply 2
Hi!
I am also studying abroad and graduating Jan 2020. I've been looking into the F2 stand alone programs as well and I too am a little confused by it. Do the slots available depend on the number of F1 doctors continuing into F2?
My med school is 6years and I m guessing that yours is as well. Do you think choosing the F2 stand alone programme is better than doing both F1 & F2 years?
Also, do you know whether it is possible to apply for F1 (in October) and later on for an F2 Stand Alone post as well? (considering that there are not so many spots for the later).
Reply 3
Hi everyone and thanks for all the information that you've shared here.

I will be graduating in 2020 from an EU medical school and eligible for full registration with the GMC (because the duration is 6 years). I wanted to ask for your advice on whether it is better to go for both F1 & F2 training in order to get as much experience as possible or for an F2 stand alone post.

I've also been advised to search for a clinical fellowship job during which I can have the clinical skills list (no idea what the actual name is, sorry) signed for by a consultant.

Does anyone have any input on that? It's all very confusing.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Stow17
I'm a little confused with how the F2 stand-alone works. I get how the normal foundation programme works and how the application for it works but lost on the F2 stand-alone. I was reading about the F2 stand-alone and I wanted more information about the types of programmes available. It says on the UKFPO booklet regarding F2 stand-alone that after a successful interview, applicants will be asked to pick programmes which they actively wish to be considered for. I want to know what type of programmes these are. Are these programmes rotations, foundation schoosl, or what? I don't exactly know what these programmes are. Are you doing 3 rotations in that year or is it 1 rotation for 1 whole year?

You'd be slotted right into an F2 position just like any other F2 - this means three rotations over a full year.

Have a read through the applicant guidance:

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/content/f2-stand-alone

And there is also some interesting information on the 2018 statistics page:

http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2018-08/2018%20Stats%20and%20Facts%20Stand-alone%20Report_0.pdf

This talks a lot about applicants who applied for F2 but at interview were deemed to be more suitable for F1.

Basically just because you have full registration since you've studied for 6 years doesn't necessarily mean you have the clinical competence to start right up at F2 level. Med school to F2 is a huge jump and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it, but everyone is different. I believe that this is decided in the interview and assessment process.
Does anyone know how strict they are about the IELTS results?

I've got an 8.5 average with a 9 for listening, 8.5 for reading, a 9 for speaking and a 7 (!!!!) for writing. I've asked for the writing to be re-marked, but it's unlikely that I'll have that back before next Thursday's deadline.
Does anyone know what is the venue for interviews? And I am exactly in the same situation as you Anonymous #1. Got a 7 in writing.
(edited 5 years ago)
What interiew questions did people have?
Yes id love to know what kind of questions people had as well??
Original post by Anonymous
Yes id love to know what kind of questions people had as well??

Please do not post the questions asked in the interview, and please do not request them.

It is unfair on all applicants.

It is cheating.

It demonstrates a distinct lack of probity.
Anyone confused as to why there are so few vacancies advertised?
Hello Shamalam,

I too am confused as to why so few vacancies are available and no jobs in London?

Does anyone know what difference it makes doing F2 stand alone as opposed to the two year foundation programme. I am currently in FY1 so will have completed this as per a normal two year post, but want to move areas hence why I have gone for F2 stand alone.
Someone mentioned you get a different certificate at the end of F2 if you do 'stand alone' which could affect you applying to speciality training, however the F2 stand alone guidance says it's the same certificate (FPCC). I don't want to end up getting myself into a situation whereby I get a worse outcome for not completing a 2 year programme- I was unaware there could be a different outcome,
Additionally, does anyone know if you have to have done GP or Psych during F1 and F2, and if we have to choose jobs based on making sure they have one of these in if we've not worked one of these jobs already?

Would appreciate any help!
Original post by Shamalama95
It's just one of those things that will fluctuate every year. It depends how many people plan on leaving / taking a year out for things. Some trusts are actually quite flexible if you need to take a year out between 1 and 2, just ask. Some people leave for other jobs. Some people have a kid.

If could also signify a slow transition in mindset (but I doubt it).
Original post by Shamalama95
Reply 13
Have you known your ranking and shortlist score? I only received my own interview score, and Oriel still says ranking is unpublished, does it mean I failed my interview?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 14
Hi there , did you have your score in a attached sheet ? If your score is out 100 , than probably you are not allowed to do F2 stand alone programme . Before that you need to do additional training by accepting different jobs that NHS offers . Please in your sheet go to the last row and you will see the final comment . But do not worry whatever the comeout of this interview is . If foundation program has to many vacancies will accept everyone , but because there are not many and the most of them are out of London they become so picky to look serious , but they forgot that every candidate has euqually medical degree and many did excellent during their studying , than after an interview of 20’ minutes looks to decide the fate of everyone. They do not think that twenty minutes is nothing to compare with the full 6 years study . No wonder is why NHS is in such a dreadful situation .Here in uk is more important to employ doctors who pay for representative companies and not only that but NHS pays these companies to who makes millions of £ profit than real candidates who one to start job in uk against no any tarif of condition . I think this system should change .The system employment is so unfair and so confused . No medical student in uk or oversees are qualified to stand on their feet the very first time of the job . There in the first 6 months of the start of working they should be observed by the other doctors who are older and skilled like in Canada and EU countries . One one side NHS sents it’s representative to oversees to find doctors that have not any connection with uk , with poor English on the other side there are so many English students who used to steady oversees in EU countries and coming back to uk to start work , who now will face hardship and no any support. I hope you have got my point .
Original post by Likun
Have you known your ranking and shortlist score? I only received my own interview score, and Oriel still says ranking is unpublished, does it mean I failed my interview?

Hi I also haven't received a rank, hoping that they are just a little behind on releasing them. I think if it says interview successful and you can rank jobs that you can proceed to the next round- at least I hope so- anyone else know?
I think this must be a mistake- I received a score out of 100 and am able to rank programmes- assuming that means I have been successful
Original post by bernie99
Hi. What do you mean by "If your score is out 100 , than probably you are not allowed to do F2 stand alone programme"? I received a score marked out of 100 and understood this to be my interview score that will be used to rank me in the selection process. Your statement makes it seem like there might be another scoring system?? Thanks for clarifying!
Hi. What do you mean by "If your score is out 100 , than probably you are not allowed to do F2 stand alone programme"? I received a score marked out of 100 and understood this to be my interview score that will be used to rank me in the selection process. Your statement makes it seem like there might be another scoring system?? Thanks for clarifying!
Original post by Maxut
Hi there , did you have your score in a attached sheet ? If your score is out 100 , than probably you are not allowed to do F2 stand alone programme . Before that you need to do additional training by accepting different jobs that NHS offers . Please in your sheet go to the last row and you will see the final comment . But do not worry whatever the comeout of this interview is . If foundation program has to many vacancies will accept everyone , but because there are not many and the most of them are out of London they become so picky to look serious , but they forgot that every candidate has euqually medical degree and many did excellent during their studying , than after an interview of 20’ minutes looks to decide the fate of everyone. They do not think that twenty minutes is nothing to compare with the full 6 years study . No wonder is why NHS is in such a dreadful situation .Here in uk is more important to employ doctors who pay for representative companies and not only that but NHS pays these companies to who makes millions of £ profit than real candidates who one to start job in uk against no any tarif of condition . I think this system should change .The system employment is so unfair and so confused . No medical student in uk or oversees are qualified to stand on their feet the very first time of the job . There in the first 6 months of the start of working they should be observed by the other doctors who are older and skilled like in Canada and EU countries . One one side NHS sents it’s representative to oversees to find doctors that have not any connection with uk , with poor English on the other side there are so many English students who used to steady oversees in EU countries and coming back to uk to start work , who now will face hardship and no any support. I hope you have got my point .
Hi there :smile:. Did you receive anything that specifically said "interview successful"? I only received a score (but am able to rank jobs) and am now kinda panicking lol. Mine just says "complete" for the interview section. Thanks!
Hi I also haven't received a rank, hoping that they are just a little behind on releasing them. I think if it says interview successful and you can rank jobs that you can proceed to the next round- at least I hope so- anyone else know?
No thats the same as me, so don't panic. I'm just worried that I haven't received a rank yet have you?
Hi there :smile:. Did you receive anything that specifically said "interview successful"? I only received a score (but am able to rank jobs) and am now kinda panicking lol. Mine just says "complete" for the interview section. Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending