The Student Room Group

My A level Journey

Scroll to see replies

I really hope you enjoyed the MOG problems and that you did yourself proud! :smile:
6/10/18 So had our first STMC session. lol I led the whole thing which was hella awkward considering most of them were older than me however after 4 questions as a 'mini test', I soon realised that none were as good as me and also some didn't even know what i consider basics including: how to find multiples of 3, cube factorisations... basically I've decided I won't be fully invested in the team stuff as I had hoped that at least one other person in the team could help me carry. Therefore I want to invest more time in the SMC and hopefully get in BMO1. Now I just need to figure out how to sign up for the mentoring scheme as hopefully not only will i have more questions but maybe someone that could give me tips. I'm really proud of myself as i think I've improved a lot since last year and the hours of doing questions has shown me that it's not beyond my ability to do all MOG quetsions or SMC questions it's now just how quickly can I spot and write. My plan starting next week is to do at least 1 SMC paper a day and then 1 STMC a week and then start looking at the BMO and other papers I've got. Now I just sound like a sad person who has no life. :P I've taken home the parts from Sinfonia to practise and my table tennis is disappointing yet I still enjoy it and need the exercise. Hopefully I can also find a job, because my CV is looking very sad and I don't have much experience working in a coffee shop sort of thing. I feel like although I have down days, I've become more in control of my emotions and i'm more motivated now I believe I can do it. The one thing is I need to do more practise questions outside of lessons. So hopefully I'll use my free periods more effectively as I don't have homework because I've kept on top of notes and hw alike.
11/11/18 Yep it has been awhile since I wrote anything here. But I guess there's a lot to talk about. I'm still finding physics the same as GCSE, amazing at the maths and sucking at the theory lol. Probs didn't help I literally didn't open my book till 15 minutes before the test because it was on the same day as the SMC. OK let's get into the test result stuff. Physics was a flop. MOG went quite well I got a 30-distinction which is what I expected. Chemistry- oh yh btw we got our progress checks or whatever u call them- i got overall an A but damn I could've easily gotten an A*, it's weird because at GCSE u'd spend half a lesson sharing test scores, now no one does and it's low-key irritating not knowing where u stand. SMC well I think i've got kangaroo not too hopeful for BMO1 and really screwd up when I realised it's a different scoring system to IMC. Got a maths test tuesday which I want to do well in but i lowkey suck at stats always have with the wordy problems. I'm starting to do extra work...well starting yh :P Also got rejected for the JPMorgan work experience which is annoying but I realised one of the questions was were u referred. And I realise i don't really know anyone in the industry like sure indirectly i do but nothing that can help me, I guess I'm not to great at putting into words why I'm an amazing person lol. Also now I've got over what to do for A levels: Maths, Fm, Physics and Chem. Now I'm looking at Uni courses and for Oxbridge none of them like jump out at me but at the same time I still want to apply get an offer and then reject it just to show I can do it. Like that was what happened with Rugby School and it makes me feel better to know I can get 2 scholarships and a headteacher's award. My life is pretty boring I guess and I don't think anyone cares about my personal life lol. Although I have to say twisting your ankle hurts real bad and it looks like it'll be another week not in heels and I also need more school clothes because my normal clothes just wouldn't fit with a blazer lol.
Also I'm really proud of myself for the amount of questions i have done even if they're all maths. I think my problem is, if i don't try and fail it feels better than trying then realising u've failed.
Original post by Angel_Chen
Also I'm really proud of myself for the amount of questions i have done even if they're all maths. I think my problem is, if i don't try and fail it feels better than trying then realising u've failed.

:wavey:

Spoiler

Watched this journey :smile:
um..for me the opposite turn out to be true..
Elated to know yer :awesome: results! May ye continue to strive till the end...wishing all good luck :biggrin:
Original post by Spannerin'moi

Spoiler

Watched this journey :smile:
um..for me the opposite turn out to be true..
Elated to know yer :awesome: results! May ye continue to strive till the end...wishing all good luck :biggrin:

Thank you:smile: I wonder what bit u remembered lol i suck with the emoji things on TSR :P also wdym by the opposite turned out to be true for u? btw what does the latin mean in ur signiture? show the only god or something?
Original post by Angel_Chen
Thank you:smile: I wonder what bit u remembered lol i suck with the emoji things on TSR :P also wdym by the opposite turned out to be true for u? btw what does the latin mean in ur signiture? show the only god or something?

:h: I have replied in your visitor message :smile:
No probs at all...I'm learning bit by bit with emotes:tongue:
As in...when I dont revise much and fail ..I feel bad...but after revising and then failing seem to be better...
You're very close :h:

Spoiler

Heyyyy!! Didn't realise you made a GYG for Year 12 as well :woo: Good luck! :rave:
28/12/18 Honestly been resting the last few days and playing league of legends :P Had a great day yeasterday didn't buy much other than in terms of food. So statsa test ad mechanics test first week back, got the chem olympiad 14th not sure if i want to revise much since I am behind on 1 years worth of content, might as well try tho. So for both tests: Stats- I need to review content especially definitions and reverse linear interpolation, I find this topic hard as there's a lot of wordy questions and so practice questions are key. For mechanics test: just questions all the way
Hey, I'm a little behind on this journey of yours? What were your GCSEs (awarding bodies, subjects and grades)? How are your A-levels in mathematics (normal and further), chemistry, physics and economics going? What olympiads are you participating in? :smile:

Thanks in advance for filling me in.
league of legends can be addicting :sadnod: best of luck with the olympiad though :redface:
Original post by nyxnko_
league of legends can be addicting :sadnod: best of luck with the olympiad though :redface:

I got a merit 3 marks off distinction but not too bad. Yes it can be addicting but it's ok because I can control myself
Original post by Tolgarda
Hey, I'm a little behind on this journey of yours? What were your GCSEs (awarding bodies, subjects and grades)? How are your A-levels in mathematics (normal and further), chemistry, physics and economics going? What olympiads are you participating in? :smile:

Thanks in advance for filling me in.

Hiii! GCSEs I'm not too proud of they really sucked but Edexcel math-9 shortcourse PRS-8, Aqa English both 6, german 6, triple science 9 and history 8, mandarin A*, add maths ocr A, ocr Latin 9
Sorry for the bad spacing hope that was ok
Olympiads basically all so school didn't let me do Chem but will do chen challenge
Also I dropped economics
Physics will do
Maths did up to BMO1 and MOG.
All A levels are easy so far other than physics
Wbu? Also welcome I starting today will hopefully post on here more and Ig @maths_helper_and_studygram
18/1/19 new year I hope new me! I've decided that on here i will review my progress and keep track of what I'm doing so will post on here more.
So far, I've sorta had a real turn around after Christmas
I had a talk with my parents and godparents who all strongly suggested more proactive prevision??? Than revision
So today I made myself a timetable of how to split my week
I realise I have the resources and time I just hadn't until now allocated when I'd do what so I'd start eg Step then stop because i forgot
Im also going to practice piano more hoping to learn The river flows in you
I'm hoping to get a job so I don't waste time
I'm reopening my IG account @maths_helper_and_studygram
Where I will post every night what I've done and catch up on news and current affairs
Since Saturday I went on a phone ban and realised I don't actually need or want to go on my phone
I will have discord and TSR on my laptop and that's really enough for me
I strongly suggest going on a voluntary phone ban ofc I didn't completely go off it but enough that I can reflect on my life
So my plans in free periods finish homework of self teach economics or something and have Wednesdays playing league but maybe not depends on how i feel it went
I will complete all notes on subjects on Saturday and maths exercises on Sunday
During the week I will do other things to strengthen my application
On IG Every night I will review what I've done and keep track of thoughts of different books
What I've learnt so when I do my PS it'll all be on IG or here where I will review my week
Me proscrastinating like physics is hard to understand but once it clicks, life's good!
25/1/19
Well the first week of keeping with my new timetable and I've been really productive comparatively. Of course i can still do more, but it's a start nevertheless. I don't do well with timetab;es, so it's more of assigning a day to do one thing, ofc I can do more than just that, but it means something simple and easy to stay on top of.
So today I've been applying to a few competitions and things, still need to email school as annoyingly on school wifi I can't view a lot of work experience or other websites as they are blocked under 'financial services'. Also I really wanted to attend PROMYS Europe, but it coincides with my CERN trip, which is such a nuisance. Keep on the grind aiming for top in school for every subject, it's just chemistry now and I'm always 2/3 marks off first so... I think it's a good idea that I turned my IG into a studygram too as it helps me keep track of what I'm doing.
Also I need to expand my horizons and start finding something I like in maths. I know decision maths is fun, but I think i might look up game and chaos theory for the hell of it.
The 2nd Oxbridge meeting wasn't that useful, still gotta watch the competition yk lol! I think I have a good balance of work and relxing at the moment, but tests are starting again so we'll see if I can secure my place as No. 1. I can do it!
Not the most structured blog around, but honest and very stream of concious!
also nothing studious, but next week on our marking day my friends are comig over to make dumpligs. Wooooo! I'm in a really positive mood and I hope that my enthusiasm is contagious.
(edited 5 years ago)
7/2/19
as predicted I followed my timetable for a week, and now I'm back to half following it. Friends can be helpful but also a distraction because the ones i talk to sadly have a very different work ethic to me. I need a study buddy like one that'll work because GCSEs i sorta had one but now the people in my discord call aren't the most motivating!
Also had an interview last night, which I hope went well. It really is a small world since I met someone I've heard about but never met until yesterday and also surprisingly the guy i have all my lessons with turned up... So much drama inn the last few days as a girl also left my school, like hunny it's sorta late but she's smart enough too catch up.
Right so I'm being a bit of a procrastinator and not doing as much as i could, i think i need to limit my time in that discord call to like not going on it for the 1st 2 hours after i get back since no one's on there anyways. It means that'll I'll get more work done...
So I still need to finish my application for Morgan Stanley and sort out work experience. I think I might spend a bit more time on TSR i.e. here since it'll be useful to read some GYGs and be more active in chats.
Anyways my review for this week is gonna happen last week I was just really distracted but still at least a week ahead with work and notes.
Also got into Nationals for table tennis which is exciting and I know I can do well if I move and actually play well. Which hasn't happened in a long time like it's good WHEN it actually goes on consistency and putting how i play doing drill into practise is my target.
Chinese New Year is coming up, it's the first time I've invited anyone to come. It's also the first time i'm not crazy busy, so hopefully my BFF is coming, a guy I've only known 2 weeks and a girl I met yesterday will come. Excited but nervous for the dance now, since beore it was just fun but now I actually have people there that'll watch and judge me lol.
So back to me procrastinating about the periodicity test in 3 periods...I've done 3 past papers and can't really find much else. I think i know it but don't know what to revise now I'm stressed about not being stressed!
Here is a story of my life
新年快乐 from the organised mess!
Good of you identify how distractions come about:smile:
That's :awesome: getting into Nationals :thumbsup:
:woo: the year of pigs! Happy New Year! :biggrin: Heyy I'm sure as soon as rhythm gets in you won't realise others judging and stuff :smile:
Hehe I know that feeling #stressed_about_not_being_stressed:redface:
:goodluck:
Original post by Spannerin'moi
Good of you identify how distractions come about:smile:
That's :awesome: getting into Nationals :thumbsup:
:woo: the year of pigs! Happy New Year! :biggrin: Heyy I'm sure as soon as rhythm gets in you won't realise others judging and stuff :smile:
Hehe I know that feeling #stressed_about_not_being_stressed:redface:
:goodluck:

a little late...
thanx so much I've identified distractions but dealing with them is the next step. I'm slowly peeling my away from being in a discord call idly all night and hopefull I get back into things next week.
28/2/19
so first week back had no lessons Wednesday, have none tomorrow or next Wednesday. So not sure if good or bad news but hopefully they'll be productive.
Today I watched 2 ted talks still brainstorming ideas for EPQ i'm thinking chaos and game theory. Still need to do more research into other ideas tho.
So first thing is, I always get my hopes up applying to courses even if it's VERY unlikely I'll get in because I fit none of the priorities only just being eligible and then not having the best GCSE grades.
But hopefully going to an Oxford maths day sometime which I found today, really excited for it :smile: (the extent of my emoji use on here)
Anyways really short considering I haven't updated in ... forever lol
Got a 2 hour trip to NEC we spend as much time there as we do travelling. Might go again Saturday depends on if I think it was worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending