The Student Room Group

Likelihood of a contextual offer?

I have started to receive offers however I’m concerned that I may not be eligible for a contextual (personally I think I should be) since I have had an offer from Swansea of ABB to do law when the entry requirements are “AAB-BBB” (I was hoping for BBB). I have applied to Exeter and Birmingham as well and have received an offer from Leicester of AAB or ABB if firmed. I can’t tell whether I have gotten the contextual or not but I’m worried I won’t be offered one from Exeter or Birmingham if I receive an offer from them. My predicted grades were AAB but I can’t see myself getting higher than that and I’m worried I’ve wasted two of my choices on unis which will ask for grades I can’t attain (AAA). Do you have any advice on whether the offers I received were contextual or how likely it is for me to get a contextual/ accepted with AAB?
On what grounds do you receive a contextual offer
Reply 2
Check your POLAR score for your postcode online (google it), that’s an indicator for lots of unis!
Reply 3
Original post by hb763
Check your POLAR score for your postcode online (google it), that’s an indicator for lots of unis!

I think my polar4 is 1 and my polar3 is 5 (can’t remember which one it was) but idk what they mean and which one is the contextual
Reply 4
Original post by BetaMale101
On what grounds do you receive a contextual offer

I think its postcode, household income and first in family to go to uni
Original post by Zoey101_
I have started to receive offers however I’m concerned that I may not be eligible for a contextual (personally I think I should be) since I have had an offer from Swansea of ABB to do law when the entry requirements are “AAB-BBB” (I was hoping for BBB). I have applied to Exeter and Birmingham as well and have received an offer from Leicester of AAB or ABB if firmed. I can’t tell whether I have gotten the contextual or not but I’m worried I won’t be offered one from Exeter or Birmingham if I receive an offer from them. My predicted grades were AAB but I can’t see myself getting higher than that and I’m worried I’ve wasted two of my choices on unis which will ask for grades I can’t attain (AAA). Do you have any advice on whether the offers I received were contextual or how likely it is for me to get a contextual/ accepted with AAB?

Universities should have the criteria listed somewhere on their website. If not, contact Admissions.
I think its postcode, household income and first in family to go to uni

If your school like mine and is in the bottom 40% you also qualify. Btw If you qualify for a contexual offer Bristol is a good place to look
Reply 7
I think my polar4 is 1 and my polar3 is 5 (can’t remember which one it was) but idk what they mean and which one is the contextual

I’m pretty sure they use POLAR4 now. 1=low progression to higher education in your area so you are more likely to get contextual offers. I’d check it again, just to make sure. Other things unis consider are your school’s progress8 score, your household income (usually <£25000 is a flag), and whether you’re the first in your family to go to university. Don’t worry about it too much, I didn’t get contextual from Warwick but got it from Exeter and Leeds, it depends on the university. :smile:
universities use different factors for contextual offers. you will need to check with each university. as far as swansea is concerned i dont think they make contextual offers as a very high percentage of students applying there come from state schools and from all backrounds. universities like exeter use it because they have a very high percentage of private school students applying there.
What was your contextual offer from Exeter? I’m not sure whether to apply as idk if I’ll get a contextual offer or not. What criteria did you have to get one? (E.g. area, low income etc.)
Original post by swanseajack1
universities use different factors for contextual offers. you will need to check with each university. as far as swansea is concerned i dont think they make contextual offers as a very high percentage of students applying there come from state schools and from all backrounds. universities like exeter use it because they have a very high percentage of private school students applying there.

What was your contextual offer from Exeter? I’m not sure whether to apply as idk if I’ll get a contextual offer or not. What criteria did you have to get one? (E.g. area, low income etc.)

Latest

Trending

Trending