The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Postgraduate Economics: From Warwick to Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, Harvard, etc.???

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding my chances for postgraduate studies in economics. I am currently an economics undergraduate student at the University of Warwick and am now considering postgraduate study in economics towards a PhD. My question is whether I have any chances to get into the top schools for economics.
Firstly, is Warwick reputable enough for getting into those schools?
I am asking because I am originally from Germany and Warwick was my last choice after I did not get into LSE and Cambridge. That was really devastating because I did actually get a 1.0 GPA in my German Abitur (equivalent to IB 42-45) including 14 points in advanced mathematics (equivalent to 7 points in IB). However, as my teachers were quite unexperienced, my predicted grades were really low. Thus I got rejected by the schools because "my PREDICTED grades lied below their standards".
I have finished my first year with a first, but a low one (only 73). This was also because I was never taught entirely in english before, making the contexts much more difficult to grasp. Now that I am in my second year I am really sure that I will be able to score in the high 70s. However, even if I am able to do that, do I have any chances to get into Cambridge, Oxford or LSE for a MRes. How about from Warwick into top US schools like Harvard, MIT or Princeton for a PhD program?

(I am already working on getting research experience and consider taking the LSE summer school course in Real Analysis)

Thanks
Original post by Richard4713
Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding my chances for postgraduate studies in economics. I am currently an economics undergraduate student at the University of Warwick and am now considering postgraduate study in economics towards a PhD. My question is whether I have any chances to get into the top schools for economics.
Firstly, is Warwick reputable enough for getting into those schools?
I am asking because I am originally from Germany and Warwick was my last choice after I did not get into LSE and Cambridge. That was really devastating because I did actually get a 1.0 GPA in my German Abitur (equivalent to IB 42-45) including 14 points in advanced mathematics (equivalent to 7 points in IB). However, as my teachers were quite unexperienced, my predicted grades were really low. Thus I got rejected by the schools because "my PREDICTED grades lied below their standards".
I have finished my first year with a first, but a low one (only 73). This was also because I was never taught entirely in english before, making the contexts much more difficult to grasp. Now that I am in my second year I am really sure that I will be able to score in the high 70s. However, even if I am able to do that, do I have any chances to get into Cambridge, Oxford or LSE for a MRes. How about from Warwick into top US schools like Harvard, MIT or Princeton for a PhD program?

(I am already working on getting research experience and consider taking the LSE summer school course in Real Analysis)

Thanks

Reputation matters little. They take the best from all over the world and judge based on your grades, PS, research experience and proposal so those are the things to work on. You need to make sure that you are applying to places that are the right fit for your research.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
warwick econ with a decent grade would get u to any top schools in uk no doubt (very common for econ students to go to somewhere like oxbridge for a proper masters degree or a few to even LBS), top US would be a bit harder but by no means impossible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending