The Student Room Group

I cant apply for maths at a levels !!! Help

PLEASE HELP ME ON WHAT TO DO ! MY TEACHER MOVED MY PREDICTED GRADE DOWN TO A 4+ FOR MATHS BECAUSE I DIDN’T COMPLETE MY HOMEWORK 3 TIMES (bad I know I regret not doing it) I THINK ITS EXTREMELY UNFAIR TO JUDGE MY CAPABILITY OF MATHS FROM NOT FREAKING DOING MY HOMEWORK. I KNOW MY CAPABILITY AND I KNOW IF I WORK HARD ENOUGH I WILL ACHIEVE MINIMUM 7s AT GCSE BUT I NEED MY PREDICTED GRADE TO BE HIGHER TO APPLY FOR COLLEGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE IVE HEARD I CANT APPLY FOR MORE THAN 1 SCIENCE OF MY PREDICTED GRADE FOR MATHS IS NOT A 6. MATHS AND SCIENCE ARE MY FAVOURITE SUBJECTS, ANYTHING ELSE AND ILL FAIL A LEVELS I CANT DEAL WITH WORDY SUBJECTS. IVE GOT MY PREDICTED GRADE OF A 6 FOR SCIENCE BUT NOT MATHS PLEASE HELP IM SO UPSET AND FREAKING OUT 😭😭😭😭 MY MATHS TECHER WONT BLOODY LISTEN!
Jheez sounds terrible, have you explained this to your teacher at all?
Original post by Calypso Xeno
PLEASE HELP ME ON WHAT TO DO ! MY TEACHER MOVED MY PREDICTED GRADE DOWN TO A 4+ FOR MATHS BECAUSE I DIDN’T COMPLETE MY HOMEWORK 3 TIMES (bad I know I regret not doing it) I THINK ITS EXTREMELY UNFAIR TO JUDGE MY CAPABILITY OF MATHS FROM NOT FREAKING DOING MY HOMEWORK. I KNOW MY CAPABILITY AND I KNOW IF I WORK HARD ENOUGH I WILL ACHIEVE MINIMUM 7s AT GCSE BUT I NEED MY PREDICTED GRADE TO BE HIGHER TO APPLY FOR COLLEGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM FREAKING OUT BECAUSE IVE HEARD I CANT APPLY FOR MORE THAN 1 SCIENCE OF MY PREDICTED GRADE FOR MATHS IS NOT A 6. MATHS AND SCIENCE ARE MY FAVOURITE SUBJECTS, ANYTHING ELSE AND ILL FAIL A LEVELS I CANT DEAL WITH WORDY SUBJECTS. IVE GOT MY PREDICTED GRADE OF A 6 FOR SCIENCE BUT NOT MATHS PLEASE HELP IM SO UPSET AND FREAKING OUT 😭😭😭😭 MY MATHS TECHER WONT BLOODY LISTEN!

It sounds like your teacher is being a little stubborn, however I think the best thing you can do is prove that you are capable. Make sure to be attentive in their lesson and complete their homework from now. Perhaps if you have time, you could try practising some past papers and bring them in to show the teacher. This will show the teacher that you’re working to achieve a top grade. Is there a form teacher or head of year that you can talk to about the matter too?
Reply 3

Just ask your parents to go and speak to your head about it. Try and persuade them that you realise you've made a mistake but you genuinely feel you are well capable of doing well.
Hope this helps.
Original post by Louislouster
Jheez sounds terrible, have you explained this to your teacher at all?

She won’t listen 😭😭 I’m going to go and talk to her again
Original post by banders18
It sounds like your teacher is being a little stubborn, however I think the best thing you can do is prove that you are capable. Make sure to be attentive in their lesson and complete their homework from now. Perhaps if you have time, you could try practising some past papers and bring them in to show the teacher. This will show the teacher that you’re working to achieve a top grade. Is there a form teacher or head of year that you can talk to about the matter too?

Yes I’ve done all the homework ever since that happened. And she is the head of maths !! 😭

No need to yell. That hurts my eyes.

Have you proven through the homework that you have done that you’re capable of getting 6/7’s? Go and speak to the teacher and explain. Apologise for not doing the work.
Yay thankss :smile:
Reply 8
Yay thankss :smile:

yeah and i’d expect you’d have the option to change it on an ‘enrolment day’ or something - we were given the option to change it then when i joined sixth form.
predicted grades aren’t really that important at GCSE.

Step 1: Tell your teacher it's affecting your college choice and would they please consider changing it so you can apply to college.
Step 2: if teacher says no, go to the head of department to see if they can overrule your teacher who gave you that grade.
Step 3: go to the head teacher if Step 1 & 2 comes to nothing
Step 4: if no one in your school can help, approach your college and explain the situation and politely ask them whether they would consider waiving this requirement because your teacher gave you a poor predicted grade for missing some homeworks. Offer to do an entrance test or otherwise if required.

It shouldn't need to go past step 1 though - Just be apologetic and say it won't happen again (missing homeworks), and basically beg to get a higher predicted grade.

Good luck!

honestly your teacher shouldn’t be doing this!
make sure you’ve caught up with the work you’ve missed, but if u have and if ur class work + topic tests etc have been done well then your predicted definitely shouldn’t be changed just because you haven’t done some homework :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest