The Student Room Group

Getting Kathy fit again. (injury recovery and fitness regaining blog)

A little background:
I was a semi-pro basketball player and runner in highschool (Highschool league) and I did pre-army courses (those you do to join combat units).
After the army I got back to basketball (I was a medical assistant for two years, army is mandatory in Israel even for girls, but not combat units... never even wanted combat units just wanted to be fit).
I got hit by a car while in university ending up with a torn ACL and Meniscus, had a surgery on the Meniscus, but was too afraid to do the ACL surgery (rejected one and canceled the second).

I started practicing Yoga after the recovery, and started cycling. Tried running a few times (with a knee brace) but didn't like it.

Later got a job with a car and gradually dropped all fitness related activities, even started eating junk a lot....

I decided to start a blog to get more motivated and keeping track of my fitness results.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Kathy89
A little background:
I was a semi-pro basketball player and runner in highschool (Highschool league) and I did pre-army courses (those you do to join combat units).
After the army I got back to basketball (I was a medical assistant for two years, army is mandatory in Israel even for girls, but not combat units... never even wanted combat units just wanted to be fit).
I got hit by a car while in university ending up with a torn ACL and Meniscus, had a surgery on the Meniscus, but was too afraid to do the ACL surgery (rejected one and canceled the second).

I started practicing Yoga after the recovery, and started cycling. Tried running a few times (with a knee brace) but didn't like it.

Later got a job with a car and gradually dropped all fitness related activities, even started eating junk a lot....

I decided to start a blog to get more motivated and keeping track of my fitness results.

Go for it gal, I shattered my foot in an accident. Was 2 yrs before I could walk (rather than hobble) but now I can jog again. The damn thing had to virtually regenerate but it got there. Keep me updated.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
12/11/18

Ran 1km for the first time after a very long time of not running. Didn't measure time, just did that to try and run. It was very fun, but not so comfortable running with a knee brace and wearing glasses (it was evening so it was too dark to go without and I was wearing contacts during the day).
I am glad I managed to run so much, worried it was too much for the first time. (never recommend running so much for the first time).
See how my legs will feel today.

Things I ordered for the fitness.
1. ETMAS Feiyue Martial Arts Shoes - heard they are good. They are not classic running shoes, I am not sure I will run with them, but they are good for walking and the best thing is you feel where you stand and it maintain the natural form and shape and flexability of your feet, which is very important in my opinion. I heard a good feedback about them from mates from yoga classes.
2. Blutooth Earphones and an arm holder for the phone. Great thing to listen to music while running.

Things to work on
1. Healthy diet
2. Self Esteem and self awareness. Once I was proud of my self-awareness, I could know the amount of preasure I'm putting my body through, now I am so not sure about it. I've had some minor injuries in Yoga (trying to do some more difficult holds or others holding me the wrong way), most of them wouldn't happen earlier...
3. Breathing, I have to relearn to breath more deep and less quick...
4. Adopting a new running techniques. Running with a knee brace is different and not natural to me at all....

Hope today will be better. Will work a bit on the diet part too.

)
Reply 3
13/11/18

Breakfast : Oatmeal with banana and maple and some berries.
Snack : an apple
Lunch : Vegan Shawarma in a pitta bread with a salad (outdoors)
Snack : Orange and Annona
Dinner : Tea with chocolate candies
Now : Chips (Lays) with coca cola.... I am a failure, the guys just dragged me into it while watching a tv show....

Today I ran 500m and worked a bit on my abs and arms.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Vinny C
Go for it gal, I shattered my foot in an accident. Was 2 yrs before I could walk (rather than hobble) but now I can jog again. The damn thing had to virtually regenerate but it got there. Keep me updated.

WOW! That's impressive!!! 2 years is a fast recovery.
What happened in the accident? and how? (if I may ask).
How did you recover so fast? What did you do?
Reply 5
Original post by Kathy89
WOW! That's impressive!!! 2 years is a fast recovery.
What happened in the accident? and how? (if I may ask).
How did you recover so fast? What did you do?

Playing soccer in trainers, totally missed the ball and kicked the goalpost. Foot crumpled like car in pile up. Shattered sesamoids, the lot. Foot was same size as football next day. Was given traction and a cast... but... no point operating... bones are like a shattered crystal! Then it started to regenerate from the floppy mess. Was like broken glass in a bag trying to sculpt itself back together... and it did. Pretty sure it's not anatomically the same as it was before... but it works. What did I do? I believed in it and didn't give up... the body is an amazing thing.
Reply 6
Original post by Vinny C
Playing soccer in trainers, totally missed the ball and kicked the goalpost. Foot crumpled like car in pile up. Shattered sesamoids, the lot. Foot was same size as football next day. Was given traction and a cast... but... no point operating... bones are like a shattered crystal! Then it started to regenerate from the floppy mess. Was like broken glass in a bag trying to sculpt itself back together... and it did. Pretty sure it's not anatomically the same as it was before... but it works. What did I do? I believed in it and didn't give up... the body is an amazing thing.
Wow!!!
Sound like a miracle. I'm amazed how the body can heal itself from that kind of injuries.
Reply 7
Original post by Kathy89
Wow!!!
Sound like a miracle. I'm amazed how the body can heal itself from that kind of injuries.

Just had to keep it all in the right places... permanent cast with pins going through. Ever looked into how broken bones mend?
Reply 8
Original post by Vinny C
Just had to keep it all in the right places... permanent cast with pins going through. Ever looked into how broken bones mend?

I imagines it was more broken. Sometimes you need a metal cast and actually drilling the bones (which mean surgery)..... still it is good to hear you are healed now.

I was a medical assistant.
Reply 9

Had a migraine (sudden weather changes). Yesterday couldn't really run or do anything. Today just went for a night walk, planning to run in the morning.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Kathy89
I imagines it was more broken. Sometimes you need a metal cast and actually drilling the bones (which mean surgery)..... still it is good to hear you are healed now.

I was a medical assistant.

It was shattered like broken crystal but was possible to 'scrunch' it back into right general shape before bones started to mend... otherwise would have healed into what they call a club foot.
Reply 11

Breakfast : Shake (Celery, Spinach, Banana, Apple, Mango, 3 dates and a pear)
Snack : whole grain crackers with chia.
Lunch : Vegi soup with rice
Snack : Orange
Dinner : Baked potatoes with garlic and timyan,
Now : Chocolate and green tea.

Today I ran 500m again. Wanted to run in the morning or at least in the afternoon but it was rainy. I should work on not making that an excuse...
I think I need to go to the orthopedist, I want a more comfortable brace, the current one is great for field trips but it is so uncomfortable for running, but it does the job. I know he'd be angry with me for running and for not wearing the brace all the time, but I don't feel the need to and I want to run.
I try to be extremely careful and not run too fast or put any unnecessary pressure on the leg.

Hope tomorrow will be better
Reply 12
17/11/18

Ran 700m today. The brace is so uncomfortable, but it helps a lot. I'm not feeling safe running without it.

Breakfast : Chocolate cake with Red tea.
Snack : 2 Bananas.
Lunch : Pasta with toffu and vegitables
Snack : Pittabread with hyssop
Dinner : Avocado Salad
Before bed : Green tea.

I am not proud by the food I ate. Should improve it, especially when I am home and don't need to eat outside.
Made for me some healthy snacks for work.

18/11/18

Woke up late today so I took the snacks with me and made some take-away coffee to drink on my way to work.
Worked until 18:00 and ate some vegan Shawarma from a new place in Tel Aviv, couldn't miss trying something new.
Now I am about to go out cycling, then shower, washing dishes and watch a show.

I need company to do better, I feel that when I do things alone I am much less productive.
Reply 13
19/11/18

Breakfast : Coffee with some chocolate candies with fruits inside (all natural, but still kind of junkfood).
Snack : 3 pears.
Lunch : Potatos with beans and vegies.
Snack : Persimon
Dinner : Salad and cold pasta
Before bed : Green tea.

Cycled 40 minutes today. It doesn't seem a lot but it was tiring after a long day of work. My leg feels ok, but I'm overall tired. Spent 15 hours wearing contacts, almost forgot they are in... just when I was about to put my glasses on I realized I can still see the screen...XD

Im thinking joining a TRX practice in a weekend or going back to Acro-Yoga.
Reply 14
The past week I wasn't feeling well. I assume it's the weather changes. I had migraines, sort of cold, overall tiredness and loss of appetite.
At work I tried to do my best to not show how tired I am and when I got home I tried to do some chores and to walk at least 30 minutes a day.
The last two days I wasn't walking because I thought maybe it is not right to do so when I am tired and didn't eat well.

Today though I am back, I ran 400m 3 times each time trying to do that in a faster pace. Now my leg hurts a bit, more from the brace itself, but my knee hurts as well.
My diet the last week was mostly raw fruits and vegies and hot vegie soup. I know it is not enough but I couldn't eat more. Today I was eating much better. Cooked bean cutlets with whole rice and misu with toffu and lot's of greens, and I will eat the rest of it tomorrow at work, so I wont have to eat fast food...

It seems like I am not progressing and it's a bit disappointing but I do feel it's the right thing to do.
Original post by Kathy89
The past week I wasn't feeling well. I assume it's the weather changes. I had migraines, sort of cold, overall tiredness and loss of appetite.
At work I tried to do my best to not show how tired I am and when I got home I tried to do some chores and to walk at least 30 minutes a day.
The last two days I wasn't walking because I thought maybe it is not right to do so when I am tired and didn't eat well.

Today though I am back, I ran 400m 3 times each time trying to do that in a faster pace. Now my leg hurts a bit, more from the brace itself, but my knee hurts as well.
My diet the last week was mostly raw fruits and vegies and hot vegie soup. I know it is not enough but I couldn't eat more. Today I was eating much better. Cooked bean cutlets with whole rice and misu with toffu and lot's of greens, and I will eat the rest of it tomorrow at work, so I wont have to eat fast food...

It seems like I am not progressing and it's a bit disappointing but I do feel it's the right thing to do.

hey hey, Just read up on your blog so far, youre doing really really well!! im proud!!

im loving the determination and its a good thing that youre focused too! Im so sorry to hear about the accident, and i hope youre okay?

regarding your leg/knee, you need to rest it, massage it, rest it and hot water baths to soak it too, do that for a few days and the pain will slowly subdue- i'd say try not to train/exercise while it hurts as it'll only make it worse! and then ease into walks, or jogging at a slower pace, ease yourself into it

your diet seems to be going well, so keep up with that!, try and add more protein and fruits into your diet to bump up the calories, i know its hard because i used to have calorie issues, but slowly bump it up around 100 cals a day and youre appetite will come back- i always have colds or some sort of injuries going on :lol:

good luck :smile:
Same, 12 weeks post op and it's so frustrating. Also fat because I've put weight on since injury. Will be following closely op.
Reply 17
Original post by CleverSquirrel
hey hey, Just read up on your blog so far, youre doing really really well!! im proud!!

im loving the determination and its a good thing that youre focused too! Im so sorry to hear about the accident, and i hope youre okay?

regarding your leg/knee, you need to rest it, massage it, rest it and hot water baths to soak it too, do that for a few days and the pain will slowly subdue- i'd say try not to train/exercise while it hurts as it'll only make it worse! and then ease into walks, or jogging at a slower pace, ease yourself into it

your diet seems to be going well, so keep up with that!, try and add more protein and fruits into your diet to bump up the calories, i know its hard because i used to have calorie issues, but slowly bump it up around 100 cals a day and youre appetite will come back- i always have colds or some sort of injuries going on :lol:

good luck :smile:
Hi!
Thanks so much for your support!

I am fine, the accident was long ago.

I rest my leg, today I didn't do anything leg related, worked out a bit on my hands and abs.

My diet could be better, I try to eat a wider variety of fruits and beans and vegies. I am not counting callories, it was never an issue, I am still underweight so I need to gain some weight. I used to count nutrients though, should start doing that again.

Did you practice any sport before? I've read some of your blog about getting fit and loose weight.
Reply 18
Original post by Justmac
Same, 12 weeks post op and it's so frustrating. Also fat because I've put weight on since injury. Will be following closely op.

I was too afraid to do the ACL surgery. Was it scary? How's your recovery so far? Hope you are doing better. How did you got injured?(if you don't mind me asking)....
Original post by Kathy89
Hi!
Thanks so much for your support!

I am fine, the accident was long ago.

I rest my leg, today I didn't do anything leg related, worked out a bit on my hands and abs.

My diet could be better, I try to eat a wider variety of fruits and beans and vegies. I am not counting callories, it was never an issue, I am still underweight so I need to gain some weight. I used to count nutrients though, should start doing that again.

Did you practice any sport before? I've read some of your blog about getting fit and loose weight.

I did, I played national level basketball before j got rotator cuff tendonitis and that hindered me from playing more! I stopped before uni but I still play every now and then with the lads on the uni team during rec and all! These days it's just uni, gym and sleep for me haha

Quick Reply

Latest