The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lmaoihategcses
Interesting information! Did they tell you that the average SGUL applicant for this year applied with 2548 on the phone?? And did they let you know exactly when they’d finalise the cut-off?

My UKCAT was 2600 so am hoping it doesn't go past that.

Also, as St Georges have a 'cut-off' what does that mean? Do they not look at UKCAT after the cut-off or does it still matter?

I did get 11 A*, so am hoping my poor UKCAT can be compensated with this :frown:
Is anyone going to call them?
Reply 82
Original post by XxxvatxxX
My UKCAT was 2600 so am hoping it doesn't go past that.

Also, as St Georges have a 'cut-off' what does that mean? Do they not look at UKCAT after the cut-off or does it still matter?

I did get 11 A*, so am hoping my poor UKCAT can be compensated with this :frown:

Yes cutoff usually means they wont take a ukcat score lower than the given number. Last year their cutoff was 2590 as per their website, so this year definately it will be lower as UKcat deciles have fallen. Even Sheffield cut of is reduced to 2630 from 2690 last year. with 2600 you should be meet their cutoff hopefully. As its unlikely to increase from their last year cut off. Also St. Georges went in clearing last year so they will interview more applicants probably this year. Good luck,
Reply 83
Hi All
This is what the St. Georges admission officer told me when I called. They are going to conduct all interviews in December and hope to send out offers by Christmas. Currently they have invited International applicants who are given time to book slots till end of this week after this they will invite home applicants. They seem to have changed their strategy this year! So unlikely there will be any interviews in January or later. Hope this information helps all the applicants
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RGaya3
Hi All
This is what the St. Georges admission officer told me when I called. They are going to conduct all interviews in December and hope to send out offers by Christmas. Currently they have invited International applicants who are given time to book slots till end of this week after this they will invite home applicants. They seem to have changed their strategy this year! So unlikely there will be any interviews in January or later. Hope this information helps all the applicants

Oh wow and when is the cutoff out?
Original post by RGaya3
Hi All

On the website, it said cut offs will be published in November 2018. Its mid November, and still nothing
Original post by Novak22
Yes cutoff usually means they wont take a ukcat score lower than the given number. Last year their cutoff was 2590 as per their website, so this year definately it will be lower as UKcat deciles have fallen. Even Sheffield cut of is reduced to 2630 from 2690 last year. with 2600 you should be meet their cutoff hopefully. As its unlikely to increase from their last year cut off. Also St. Georges went in clearing last year so they will interview more applicants probably this year. Good luck,

The UKCAT deciles may have fallen, but more candidates than ever have taken it. So whether the cut off will be higher or lower we won't know until they release it. Which is sad, because I'd really like to know! :lol:
Any body got interview from St Georges or southampton
Reply 88
Original post by amanjots

Nope, only cardiff atm
Original post by amanjots

Noone on the forums has reported getting interviews, except international St George's applicants, who get invites early so they can make travel plans.
Original post by iLoveRodents
Noone on the forums has reported getting interviews, except international St George's applicants, who get invites early so they can make travel plans.

Home applicants get their interviews next week I think
Original post by Streetcleaner27

I hope so!
Original post by Streetcleaner27

Are you sure about this? Also can someone tell me what St Georges call candidates on the basis of? I know they have cut-offs but do they look past that too or just care about people meeting the cut off only?

How are GCSEs used too?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 93
Are you sure about this? Also can someone tell me what St Georges call candidates on the basis of? I know they have cut-offs but do they look past that too or just care about people meeting the cut off only?

How are GCSEs used too?

https://www.sgul.ac.uk/images/courses/international_pdf/2016_17_SGUL_MBBS_entry_criteria_May_2017.pdf

For GCSE you need to have minimum 416 points, pls check attached link for calculation
Original post by Novak22
https://www.sgul.ac.uk/images/courses/international_pdf/2016_17_SGUL_MBBS_entry_criteria_May_2017.pdf

For GCSE you need to have minimum 416 points, pls check attached link for calculation

Thank you! But would you have a higher chance of interview if you had a higher score?
Reply 95
Thank you! But would you have a higher chance of interview if you had a higher score?

It seems everyone who meets the minimum requirement gets called for interview. The only variable will be their ukcat cutoff which is still not published.
Original post by Novak22
It seems everyone who meets the minimum requirement gets called for interview. The only variable will be their ukcat cutoff which is still not published.

Ah thank you, so if you meet all the requirements and pass the UKCAT cut-off, there is a chance of interview basically?

Also, do they count both 8s and 9s as A*?

How are GCSEs used too?

I know people have already answered this, but I want to add that on their website it says:

"If you meet our minimum academic requirements, you will be invited for interview."

All the requirements can be found here: https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs/entry-criteria
(With the exception on the UKCAT cut off, which hasn't been released yet)

Although, they tend to be really secretive about the whole application process, which is a little annoying.
Original post by iLoveRodents
I know people have already answered this, but I want to add that on their website it says:

"If you meet our minimum academic requirements, you will be invited for interview."

All the requirements can be found here: https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/undergraduate-courses/medicine-mbbs/entry-criteria
(With the exception on the UKCAT cut off, which hasn't been released yet)

It's weird because I emailed St Georges and they told me the cut off will be released today and it hasn't, which is a shame really.
Reply 99
Afaik know they try to invite everyone who meets minimum requirements. Using the UKCAT as the main distinguishing factor. Idk if they use personal statements at all, it would not surprise me if they did not since the GMC basically said good personal statements =\= good doctor

Latest

Trending

Trending