The Student Room Group

Law about the council going to the cinema

So this has just happened...
So me and my mum went to the cinema, and we wanted to watch overlord (18+), I’m 16, so went up to the till guy said that he can’t sell the tickets even though I’m with a 18+ because there is a Law about not allowing to sell tickets of a 18+ movie to under 18s and how if the council goes to the cinema and asks for my ID and they see that I’m under 18, I’ll pay a £2k fine and the guy will lose his job.

Is that true???
Might be. Wouldn’t surprise me.
Reply 2
You would not be fined, the cinema may be and could lose it's licence.
The fine is likely for them not you. And he could likely lose his job.

Going with an over 18 doesn't change the fact that you're under 18 and not allowed to watch the film.
Original post by caramelbarbz
So this has just happened...
So me and my mum went to the cinema, and we wanted to watch overlord (18+), I’m 16, so went up to the till guy said that he can’t sell the tickets even though I’m with a 18+ because there is a Law about not allowing to sell tickets of a 18+ movie to under 18s and how if the council goes to the cinema and asks for my ID and they see that I’m under 18, I’ll pay a £2k fine and the guy will lose his job.

Is that true???

It's 18+, you have to be 18 to watch it
Reply 5
Original post by Conconz

Going with an over 18 doesn't change the fact that you're under 18 and not allowed to watch the film.

The restrictions are based upon licence condition set by the local authority. The local authority could allow under 18s to watch 18+ films if they were with an adult should they choose. It all depends on the specific site licence.
Reply 6
Original post by That'sGreat
It's 18+, you have to be 18 to watch it

Not true. See comment above.
Original post by caramelbarbz

Is that true???

The whole point of the 18 certificate is to make sure minors (like you) cannot see films that are deemed unsuitable for them. Your mother should never have taken you.

The Licensing Act 2003 stipulates that cinemas must be licensed (just like pubs and bars) and adhere to film classification conditions. Obviously, they would have a preference for staying in business as a cinema than for losing the license and ceasing to trade.
Original post by Reue
The restrictions are based upon licence condition set by the local authority. The local authority could allow under 18s to watch 18+ films if they were with an adult should they choose. It all depends on the specific site licence.

Really? I've not heard that before. What age do they allow?
Reply 9
Original post by Conconz
Really? I've not heard that before. What age do they allow?

Depends on the local council.
https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education-resources/student-guide/legislation
If you are caught watching a film which you are too young to watch then the theatre may be fined
Original post by Reue

Could. But don't. You can count on the fingers of one foot the number of authorities that vary certificate rules like that .
Reply 12
It's the same as alcohol and tobacco.. they have a licence. If they are caught breaking the law they could lose their license and be reprimanded as Reue states.
Reply 13
Original post by Good bloke
Could. But don't. You can count on the fingers of one foot the number of authorities that vary certificate rules like that .

That's the point I was making. Apologies for offering legally correct information.

How many licensing authorities are actively enforcing the licence conditions set? I think you would meet a similar number.
Your mum can make some allowances in the home with regard to films and booze and such, but that doesn't extend to other business's when THEY are liable, same reason tattoo shops won't work on a kid even if they bnring a parent.
Original post by Notoriety
How many licensing authorities are actively enforcing the licence conditions set? I think you would meet a similar number.

I have no idea how many make regular inspections, but most of the big cinema chains are, in any event, good corporate citizens who wouldn't want to be caught corrupting minors in the current puritanically regressive 'liberal' environment and will police themselves pretty well. The supermarkets' demonstrate that same sort of attitude when they impose ridiculous care in not selling alcohol to parents who happen to have children with them when they do the shopping.
I have no idea how many make regular inspections, but most of the big cinema chains are, in any event, good corporate citizens who wouldn't want to be caught corrupting minors in the current puritanically regressive 'liberal' environment and will police themselves pretty well. The supermarkets' demonstrate that same sort of attitude when they impose ridiculous care in not selling alcohol to parents who happen to have children with them when they do the shopping.

Selling of alcohol is a bit different, though, because there is a specific criminal offence for selling to children. For the person who sells the alcohol and the company. I don't see that underage film goers gets the same attention from the big cinema chains; and it seems that the person who refused OP was ignorant as to the law.
Original post by Notoriety
it seems that the person who refused OP was ignorant as to the law.

Yes, though he was just trying to get rid of an underage patron without hassle and was never going to allow OP in. The fact remains that the cinema could lose its licence, and staff are obviously briefed to be on the lookout for under-age people to avoid such an occurrence. These days the biggest danger is finding an incriminating social media clip online.

Quick Reply

Latest