The Student Room Group

HM Treasury Graduate Scheme (2018/9)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by uncleniccius
What did your email say? Anyone who else yet to here?

"Life has successes and failures, where failures make us stronger.

Slowbro, you tried and failed"

But seriously, it was a standard rejection email, meh life happens
Original post by JTR__
Same here!

:frown: how's your FS application going?
Reply 42
Original post by Slowbro93
:frown: how's your FS application going?

Failed for dip (though I have no idea why I chose that now :biggrin:) and generalist, but passed VI for finance and just waiting for results of my numerical test! What about you? There have been so many results recently I've kinda lost track haha
Original post by JTR__
Failed for dip (though I have no idea why I chose that now :biggrin:) and generalist, but passed VI for finance and just waiting for results of my numerical test! What about you? There have been so many results recently I've kinda lost track haha

That sounds really promising about finance, I do hope it works out for you!

For me, I have the nhs programme, as well as postdoc applications. Annoying on the grad scheme front, but I've told myself that if I get rejected, it's the universe clearly telling me something!

Are you working or in final year atm?
Sorry to hear @Slowbro93 and @JTR__! Best of luck with your other applications - am also applying for NHS and CSFS!

Just finished my tests now. Think I messed up the numerical and did the verbal too quickly - time will tell I suppose..
Reply 45
Original post by Slowbro93
That sounds really promising about finance, I do hope it works out for you!

For me, I have the nhs programme, as well as postdoc applications. Annoying on the grad scheme front, but I've told myself that if I get rejected, it's the universe clearly telling me something!

Are you working or in final year atm?

Thanks Slowbro93 and @antigone-!

Ooh I'm going to go for the NHS too, but waiting for the Scotland applications- they only took 6 candidates last year though so it's a long shot :redface: Where would you like to do your postdoc? (I'm also applying to a couple of banks and a couple of commercial finance positions, so hopefully one comes through! )

I have a back-up, but honestly with each passing week I think I'd rather risk it and wait until after uni to reapply to stuff (in my final year atm)

That's a great philosophy though: everything is so competitive that sometimes fate has to have a hand in it haha! I'll be rooting for you :hugs:

=

@antigone- best of luck with the applications! Have you been given a FSAC date yet?
Original post by JTR__
Thanks Slowbro93 and @antigone-!

Ooh I'm going to go for the NHS too, but waiting for the Scotland applications- they only took 6 candidates last year though so it's a long shot :redface: Where would you like to do your postdoc? (I'm also applying to a couple of banks and a couple of commercial finance positions, so hopefully one comes through! )

I have a back-up, but honestly with each passing week I think I'd rather risk it and wait until after uni to reapply to stuff (in my final year atm)

That's a great philosophy though: everything is so competitive that sometimes fate has to have a hand in it haha! I'll be rooting for you :hugs:

=

@antigone- best of luck with the applications! Have you been given a FSAC date yet?

Thank you, to you too!

Yep - next Weds! Absolutely terrified but let's see haha
Anyone else still yet to hear anything?
Original post by Blobby2345
Hi guys, through to the tests stage thank god. I really can't see much info on the format. Looking through last year's (or actually the summer just gone) process it seems that neither are timed, just varying levels of difficulty and they ask questions until the system gauges your level.

Any ideas? Could reaaaally do without time constraints!!

I haven't taken the test yet but @antigone- mentioned they have so they might be able to give you some details. The info about the test online mentions there would be practice questions, which might give details about timing and format, but I haven't been able to find them yet. I emailed to ask where I can find them but I haven't heard back yet.
(edited 5 years ago)
They aren't timed and don't take very long at all! Very standard format and easy to follow.

They give you three practice questions before the real thing starts.

NB: they aren't timed but they do make a record of how long it took you to answer - my guess is so they can get a judgement of your accuracy/speed without constraining you to a time limit.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by antigone-
They aren't timed and don't take very long at all! Very standard format and easy to follow.

They give you three practice questions before the real thing starts.

NB: they aren't timed but they do make a record of how long it took you to answer - my guess is so they can get a judgement of your accuracy/speed without constraining you to a time limit.

So helpful cheers. You mentioned fast stream apps, are they comparable in difficulty level to e tray / SJT / VI?
So helpful cheers. You mentioned fast stream apps, are they comparable in difficulty level to e tray / SJT / VI?

Different - these are verbal/numerical testing so can't really compare to SJT/VI, maybe slight similarities to e-tray in that you have questions on given material but not too similar.

Difficulty is hard to measure! Definitely weren't the most challenging online tests I've done but not sure I did great on the numerical tbh haha

Honestly a very standard format, don't be concerned about it all!

Good luck :h:
Quite possibly a stupid question, but I assume the numeracy test is to be completed without a calculator? Or is it more to do with understanding numbers, statistics, etc?
Original post by aubreywannabe
Quite possibly a stupid question, but I assume the numeracy test is to be completed without a calculator? Or is it more to do with understanding numbers, statistics, etc?

Can't say for this but literally every single test I've taken for schemes has been with a calculator. If nothing else they probs realize that there will be so many who use one it'd be pointless to say not to.
Going to be taking my online tests in a day or two for the treasury. I passed tests last year but failed at the review process, so fingers crossed!
Outa curiosity, the policy discussion at the AC...is this more like standing up and giving a presentation or a sat down in-depth conversation and explanation to a group of people regarding the specific question? Anyone know? I keep seeing 'conversation' and 'presentation' thrown out there and I wanna mentally prep myself (assuming I get through to it!).
Can't say for this but literally every single test I've taken for schemes has been with a calculator. If nothing else they probs realize that there will be so many who use one it'd be pointless to say not to.

Original post by aubreywannabe

Use of a calculator is allowed!
Original post by Uncle_Fester
Going to be taking my online tests in a day or two for the treasury. I passed tests last year but failed at the review process, so fingers crossed!
Outa curiosity, the policy discussion at the AC...is this more like standing up and giving a presentation or a sat down in-depth conversation and explanation to a group of people regarding the specific question? Anyone know? I keep seeing 'conversation' and 'presentation' thrown out there and I wanna mentally prep myself (assuming I get through to it!).

Hey! What do you mean you passed the tests but failed at the review process?
Original post by elohelhello
Hey! What do you mean you passed the tests but failed at the review process?

I received an email saying I had passed the online tests and was now moving to have my application reviewed. Then a while later I received an email saying I had been unsuccessful at review. So there is another step between online tests and the AC. I found that out the hard way sadly!!
Original post by Uncle_Fester
I received an email saying I had passed the online tests and was now moving to have my application reviewed. Then a while later I received an email saying I had been unsuccessful at review. So there is another step between online tests and the AC. I found that out the hard way sadly!!

I suppose the review stage is where they read the written response questions we submit with our SJT
Original post by rangeanxiety
I suppose the review stage is where they read the written response questions we submit with our SJT

Most likely!!
Still unsure what they mean by 'presentation' and 'conversation' though. I mean, is it one or the other? Standing up or sitting at a table? oddly vague.

Quick Reply

Latest