The Student Room Group

1/3 bullied pupils unhappy with school response

Poll

Have you ever experienced bullying?

More than a third of pupils who have been bullied believe their school dealt with it badly or not very well, according to new figures.

A new report shows that:

one in six pupils are experiencing bullying with the majority of incidents taking place inside schools.

The data reveals that 35% of pupils who have been bullied were not happy with the way their school dealt with the situation.

The figures show that pupils who are the victims of bullying are less likely to think that schools deal with the problem effectively.

Overall, 72% of pupils believe schools deal with bullying well or quite well, but this figure falls to 61% among bullied pupils.

The analysis also shows that girls are more likely to be bullied than boys.

Boys are more likely to suffer physical bullying and girls are more likely to suffer cyberbullying.

The survey looked at bullying of pupils aged 10-15 and found that incidents decreased the older pupils got, with 22% of 10-year-olds reporting bullying, compared with 8% of 15-year-olds.

What are your experiences? Do you think your school or educational institution deals with bullying effectively? What are the challenges?

Scroll to see replies

I know experiences differ greatly between schools and there will be schools who effectively tackle problems with bullying and such. The school I went to however was not one of those. I don't think incidents decrease, more that they just aren't reported. Older you get the more aware you are of possible ramifications of reporting it and so like me for a while tried to keep it to myself. Its a very sad feeling when you seek help from higher authority and you still feel like you were not listened to.
I was really badly bullied in my first primary school, school did nothing.
yeah only once and I made sure it was only once without going further into it
From personal experience, I feel it would be much closer to 100%, in terms of thinking that bullying is dealt with poorly. I only mentioned it in year 7 and after I just realised it was pointless, nothing was done. Basically just a slap on the wrist. Even when another kid kicked an oven door into my arm, burning my arm. Nothing was done, just a slap on the wrist response. Yet when (due to frustration, from being a target for bullying) I tuck out my anger on a bully, I was put in isolation for 2 days.

Once I was sitting next to a teacher, on a table of most people who spent the entire lesson mocking me, making me feel like **** and yet even then the teacher just sat there and did nothing.
one questions if bullying at school is just a fact of life. sure it can be intervened by school but i think it will always be there
Original post by Spirithorse
x

Had experienced bullying in verbal and physical way, first one more often. One school didn't do anything, the other one did. That is why I would say it makes a difference which school pupils and students attend. Being a victim of bullying is a sadly feeling, sometimes humiliating.
Original post by Spirithorse
More than a third of pupils who have been bullied believe their school dealt with it badly or not very well, according to new figures.

A new report shows that:

one in six pupils are experiencing bullying with the majority of incidents taking place inside schools.

The data reveals that 35% of pupils who have been bullied were not happy with the way their school dealt with the situation.

The figures show that pupils who are the victims of bullying are less likely to think that schools deal with the problem effectively.

Overall, 72% of pupils believe schools deal with bullying well or quite well, but this figure falls to 61% among bullied pupils.

The analysis also shows that girls are more likely to be bullied than boys.

Boys are more likely to suffer physical bullying and girls are more likely to suffer cyberbullying.

The survey looked at bullying of pupils aged 10-15 and found that incidents decreased the older pupils got, with 22% of 10-year-olds reporting bullying, compared with 8% of 15-year-olds.

What are your experiences? Do you think your school or educational institution deals with bullying effectively? What are the challenges?

I have to say I’m surprised that many people think the school did a good job. I know my school was awful. Who doesn’t love being pinned against a fence then having mediation where you have to apologise to the people making your life hell.

So glad I could leave there. Although I still have a bunch of trust issues from it. Slowing learning that not everyone is out to use you.
Original post by CoolCavy

And what happened in secondary school to you? what you told is quite similar to mine.
Original post by Kallisto
And what happened in secondary school to you? what you told is quite similar to mine.

Secondary school was great (well up until the end of year 12 but that's for different reasons unrelated to bullying)
I moved primary schools at the end of year 3 and things got better from then on :smile:
Am sorry to hear that kallisto :console:
No offense but I don't believe cyberbullying is a thing. lol just block the person if they are bullying you.
Secondary school was great (well up until the end of year 12 but that's for different reasons unrelated to bullying)
I moved primary schools at the end of year 3 and things got better from then on :smile:
Am sorry to hear that kallisto :console:

My way was a bit harder then, even in secondary school I was bullied, just because I was different. One day I began to quit secondary school and homeschooling by second chance then. Not only because of bullying, but also attend school and teaching there was a waste of time.

don't want to sound like a **** but i feel as if in primary school they don't give two monkeys about bullying and heads of years etc. tend to be more concerned at high school age as you should be more mature. That being said i feel as if nothing much is ever done about bullying and their should be better forms of government support etc.
Original post by samisikander
don't want to sound like a **** but i feel as if in primary school they don't give two monkeys about bullying and heads of years etc. tend to be more concerned at high school age as you should be more mature. That being said i feel as if nothing much is ever done about bullying and their should be better forms of government support etc.

Yeh probably, but there is a difference between a bit of immature name calling and chinese burns and being sworn and spat at and stuff :redface:
Experienced (racial) bullying all 5 years of secondary school.
No one ever seems to talk about how childhood bullying can still effect adulthood. Not only has it left me severely self conscious but also have severe low self esteem. The emotional and mental scar causes me to have flashbacks which is giving me doubts about getting into my dream job.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by shohaib712
No offense but I don't believe cyberbullying is a thing. lol just block the person if they are bullying you.

I was about to comment the same thing, just turn off your monitor and bin your PC if you are that sensitive.
That or you could just report them for abusive chat, seeing as companies like Sony chat ban you for calling someone "stupid" over the internet.
high school and sixth form were lame. unis tend to favour people from more affluent families I find (particulalrly those who are affiliated with foreign royalty/politicians :angry:)
My secondary schools response was just to move me to a different class / tutor group. Because you know, that really stopped them at lunch, break and before / after school.

The bully was never punished at all.

They did claim that bullying never existed at their school. Oh, you mean apart from the name calling, stealing my stuff and ripping my bag? I do remember being punched and kicked and the teacher sitting there doing nothing. I fought back and got punished.

Those of you saying cyber bullying doesn't exist - you've clear never had some weirdo follow you arounf the internet, constantly send you FB friend requests then... (he gave up after about 3 months. I also had the issue of knowing him IRL. Thankfully, he was kicked out of the group we met at)
numbers seem sensible - nothing surprising.

Bullying is hard for schools to deal with - it always has been, and there are very few good solutions to it. Any intervention from staff carries the risk of creating an even bigger backlash.

From my experiance working in education, and with a lot of teachers, the most effective forms of bullying are carried out by teachers who have personal relationships with both the bully and the bullied, and who can work to bridge the gap and grow understanding between them.

But that is incredibly time-consuming, and out of the realm of what most teachers are required to do. Given that teachers are already over worked, it doesn't suprise me that many don't put in the extra work.

The only effective quick-fix is segregation. Move the bully or the bullied to another class, but its not always effective, and the provisions for lunch/breaks/mixes of classes can render it useless sometimes. Other quick fixes like punishing the bully can be highly ineffective, if that bully is just going to take out the punishment on the bullied. Of course you could keep doubling down on the bully each time they do something, but most schools don't have the appetite for the strictness and disciplinarian-policy that an approach like that would require.

---

The best thing still in general is for parents to teach their kid how to avoid being bullied. Its not bad luck that causes people to get bullied - its things about them.. behavior.. attitude.. appearance.. size.. etc. You can often solve (or better prevent) bullying, if you can, as a parent, for-see things about your kid that would lead to them being bullied. (or maybe you won't... there is some reasoning that mild-bullying is not a bad thing for kids, as long as it doesn't get to extreme)
Bullying is a very serious matter that ruins lives, let me make that clear from the start.

Schools do not do anything of use to combat it, and indeed I don't actually believe that they can. They may host a conversation with the bully or attempt to punish them, but in actuality this would aggravate them leading to more bullying. When you think about it, this makes sense because the reason they bully in the first place is because they feel bad about themselves, so making them feel even worse about themselves by highlighting their mistakes ultimately results in more bullying.

At school, they combat the 'accidental' bullying - people who may be bullying without realising it, and correct their ways once pulled up by an authority figure. They do nothing to tackle serious bullying, and I very much doubt that a 'roadman' type person would stop harassing an individual purely because some teacher told them it was naughty.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending