The Student Room Group

Have your say: Drug testing kits to be offered to Warwick students

Here's where you can post a comment about our Drug testing kits to be offered to Warwick students article.

Read the full Drug testing kits to be offered to Warwick students article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

What do you think, should more universities follow suit?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

They're going to do it regardless of whether or not it's permitted by the university, you may as well take steps to ensure they do it safely.
Reply 2
Original post by candokoala
Here's where you can post a comment about our Drug testing kits to be offered to Warwick students article.

Read the full Drug testing kits to be offered to Warwick students article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

What do you think, should more universities follow suit?

Manchester uni did this two months ago. Think Sheffield did something similar too. If anything its Warwick that are following suit.
Absolutely stupid, encouraging the use of drugs is vile and the university should really not do this.
As a Warwick Student, i wouldn’t mind tbf. This could work and prevent people from going too far so that’s a good idea.
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Manchester uni did this two months ago. Think Sheffield did something similar too. If anything its Warwick that are following suit.

That's right - the article lists the ones that are already doing it! Do you think more unis should do it?
Original post by AperfectBalance
Absolutely stupid, encouraging the use of drugs is vile and the university should really not do this.

What do you expect them to do? It’s their body, they are at uni to learn and succeed not to be nannied by them. The uni is being paid to give out a education not to be parents to the students.
Original post by Professional G
What do you expect them to do? It’s their body, they are at uni to learn and succeed not to be nannied by them. The uni is being paid to give out a education not to be parents to the students.

To not encourage degeneracy and drugtaking, sure it is their body and they choose to commit crimes (crimes that should be taken more seriously) I dont want to give a penny to worthless druggies at uni and I will be contributing to drugtakers if I decided to go to Warwick.
To not encourage degeneracy and drugtaking, sure it is their body and they choose to commit crimes (crimes that should be taken more seriously) I dont want to give a penny to worthless druggies at uni and I will be contributing to drugtakers if I decided to go to Warwick.

I mean all unis have drug takers, so unfortunately you can’t do much to escape them. Some of the ‘worthless druggies’ end up being your boss, or the richest, most powerful people in the world e.g politicians, businessmen, professors, scientists etc

They should instead permit students to die from tainted drugs, because that zero-tolerance policy was previously working stupendously. It wasn't as if under that policy students still took drugs, and it was not that case students died every year from taking drugs.
Reply 10

I was waiting for that! :laugh:
Positive step forward against the drug nazis.
Original post by gjd800
I was waiting for that! :laugh:

I'm not wrong though
Original post by Notoriety
They should instead permit students to die from tainted drugs, because that zero-tolerance policy was previously working stupendously. It wasn't as if under that policy students still took drugs, and it was not that case students died every year from taking drugs.

If someone decides to take dangerous drugs and dies from it the blame lies on the person, sure it is due to the dealer and producer but in the end, you chose to do something that is very risky and against the law. The universities do NOT have a job to make sure your drug taking time is pleasant and safe. This does not only do this but makes drugs more acceptable.

It is a clear slippery slope that is very dangerous.

Isn't it better to encourage safe drug use instead of leaving people to their own devices?
If someone decides to take dangerous drugs and dies from it the blame lies on the person, sure it is due to the dealer and producer but in the end, you chose to do something that is very risky and against the law. The universities do NOT have a job to make sure your drug taking time is pleasant and safe. This does not only do this but makes drugs more acceptable.

Most of the time the danger is because of ill education of how to use the drugs and the drugs are impure. Just because something is against the law doesn't mean people will cease from doing it. Of course it isn't their job to make sure you have a pleasant and safe trip but it is very nice of them, and it shows they care about the safety of their students.

People will take drugs regardless whether you like it or not. There is nothing wrong with a University wanting their students to be well-educated around drugs just like sex-education. Most people will -encounter- drugs in their life, there is more harm in leaving people unsure of what to do rather than educating them.

It is tough decision to make, but one which will protect students and save lives. The normativity and abstract arguing about it is pretty trivial when you compare it to its likely consequences.

I think educating the yoofs about the harm of drink and drugs is probably another angle unis should make use of, because far too many kids trying to impress their peers are taking excessive amounts. Thinking that they won't be a rare fatality. But they only think that because they are sheltered and have no perspective. I certainly know people who died from drink drugs, and especially friends of friends. Much more than the BBC reporting which is already extensive.
Genius plan to stop students taking drugs. They just need to make the kits turn the dangerous colour no matter what substance it tests.

How is it stupid? It’s promoting safe use of drugs. Drugs will not disappear theyve been around for longer than all of us have been alive. The problem is that drugs are being laced these days and causing people to die. It’s not encouraging use it’s encouraging SAFE use. People will do it anyway regardless of the situation, they’re illegal anyway but they’re still here so why not help a bad situation become little bit better ?
So it's a kit that tells us how proper our drugs are, is that right? I didn't know there was such thing, where can we get one?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending