The Student Room Group

Applying for Law

Hi Guys!

I've recently sent off my UCAS and I've applied to the following unis for law.

Kings, UCL, LSE, Nottingham and Exeter

GCSEs: 4A*,2A,4B
IB Prediction: 40 points (776)
LNAT: MCQ was ok and the Essay went well.

I'm stressing because Kings is my main choice and I don't know how competitive they are, as sometimes I get them impression they are a lot easier than UCL and LSE but also very difficult. I was hoping someone could help put this into perspective.

Thanks!
In order of competitiveness (I believe):
LSE
UCL
King's
Nottingham
Exeter

It's important to note that King's don't look at the essay unless you're a really borderline candidate, and even then they don't put a lot of emphasis on it (I think - correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, provided you meet the entry requirements and have a really solid (I think their average is around 27) LNAT score, your application will be very competitive.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anonymous1231231
In order of competitiveness (I believe):
LSE
UCL
King's
Nottingham
Exeter

It's important to note that King's don't look at the essay unless you're a really borderline candidate, and even then they don't put a lot of emphasis on it (I think - correct me if I'm wrong). Basically, provided you meet the entry requirements and have a really solid (I think their average is around 27) LNAT score, your application will be very competitive.

Is there a quick way to find out which unis look at LNAT essays and not, and supposed thresholds? A website or someone's book? I understand that it is only through freedom of info requests -- a long and hard slog.

it would probably be good to get them all in one thread, a la FOIs and entry standards.
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
Is there a quick way to find out which unis look at LNAT essays and not, and supposed thresholds? A website or someone's book? I understand that it is only through freedom of info requests -- a long and hard slog.

@JohanGRK it would probably be good to get them all in one thread, a la FOIs and entry standards.

Unis will usually say which parts of the LNAT they consider on their entrance requirements page for Law. As a matter of fact, LSE also do not consider the essay side of the LNAT, only the multiple choice.
Original post by Fhutton17
Unis will usually say which parts of the LNAT they consider on their entrance requirements page for Law. As a matter of fact, LSE also do not consider the essay side of the LNAT, only the multiple choice.

Aye, so it's on unis' websites in many cases?

I have never really paid much attention to the question, then realised if I don't know most applicants also won't know.

Probably useful to get all the different sources of info into one thread.

@JohanGRK it would probably be good to get them all in one thread, a la FOIs and entry standards.

Not quite sure. I know it’s stated on this website, but can’t seem to find a simpler way to find info like this out.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/379038/response/927029/attach/2/F408.16%20response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Reply 6
Aye, so it's on unis' websites in many cases?

I have never really paid much attention to the question, then realised if I don't know most applicants also won't know.

Probably useful to get all the different sources of info into one thread.

Yes, on every university website they each have a page specific to each degree, in this case law. In the entry requirements section, universities which require the LNAT mention why it is necessary in their eyes as well as the weighting of the LNAT result (both MCQ & essay individually and the entire LNAT exam).
LSE, for example, say on their website, in regards to the LNAT: "At present, we will only use the multiple-choice score in the assessment of applicants; the essay will not be considered".
Original post by Fhutton17
Yes, on every university website they each have a page specific to each degree, in this case law. In the entry requirements section, universities which require the LNAT mention why it is necessary in their eyes as well as the weighting of the LNAT result (both MCQ & essay individually and the entire LNAT exam).
LSE, for example, say on their website, in regards to the LNAT: "At present, we will only use the multiple-choice score in the assessment of applicants; the essay will not be considered".

Yeah but I don't think the King's website says too much about how they consider the LNAT, just that they recommend doing it by mid December by the latest
How did it went brother it’s been 3 years now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending