The Student Room Group

St John's 2019 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by VerySuspicious
Does anyone know how they're going to fill an entire 25 minute general interview? And can they ask "why st john's"?

subject interview? 25 minutes is not a lot of time to discuss what you love.
Reply 61
Does anyone know how they're going to fill an entire 25 minute general interview? And can they ask "why st john's"?

Apparently some of the students from St John's told me that the general interview is just there to calm you down before the academic interview(s), so they might ask you about your hobbies or daily life. It's basically a sweet little chat and is probably not going to effect your application that much, so don't worry :smile:
Reply 62
And can they ask "why st john's"?

No, they shouldn't really ask that. It's quite possible for someone to be allocated John's as an open applicant, so asking why you chose it is unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 63
Does anyone mind showing us how a invitation from St John's looks? I'm very curious 😂😂
Original post by Doonesbury
No, they shouldn't really ask that. It's quite possible for someone to be allocated John's as an open applicant, so asking why you chose it is unfair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you think it's wise for an applicant to bring up why they want to study at the college?
Reply 65
Original post by Maths&physics
do you think it's wise for an applicant to bring up why they want to study at the college?

I'd focus on engaging with their questions and the resulting discussions. They don't much like applicants who come with a preconceived spiel :wink:
I'd focus on engaging with their questions and the resulting discussions. They don't much like applicants who come with a preconceived spiel :wink:

thanks - I think that's excellent advice. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Do St John's give a test for maths before the interview? I've been getting mixed responses wrt this.
Hey, im applying to St. John’s to do HSPS
Has anyone got an interview yet?
Original post by Jess_1230
Hey, im applying to St. John’s to do HSPS
Has anyone got an interview yet?

Or rejection?
Original post by Jess_1230
Or rejection?

Here's a link to a google sheets from last year. Should show approximate interview times.

Also don't stress if you haven't got an interview yet, very few have for St John's.
Reply 71
Original post by JeevesWooster
Here's a link to a google sheets from last year. Should show approximate interview times.

Also don't stress if you haven't got an interview yet, very few have for St John's.

Where’s that sheet from? Is there anything about St. John’s maths
Original post by thisguy321
Where’s that sheet from? Is there anything about St. John’s maths

The 2018 cambridge applicant thread. I checked, there's just one guy going st John's for maths. He got an interview on the 21st. Hope this calms some nerves :biggrin:
So, why did people apply to such an infamous college?
Reply 74
The 2018 cambridge applicant thread. I checked, there's just one guy going st John's for maths. He got an interview on the 21st. Hope this calms some nerves :biggrin:

Ahahahaha yeah man, cheers. Likely not to have a stroke for the next two hours at least
Do St John's give a test for maths before the interview? I've been getting mixed responses wrt this.

Have you checked their page?
Original post by alexandrahristov
Have you checked their page?

I have, and they don't specifically confirm/deny this.
Reply 77
I have, and they don't specifically confirm/deny this.

If they expected you to do a seperate test they'd say so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they expected you to do a seperate test they'd say so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that does make sense, I think I'm overthinking everything :/
So, why did people apply to such an infamous college?

infamous how? I applied because its beautiful and I feel at home there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending