The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ahorey
are you sure the cut off was 30 last year? On average the past 5 years the cut off for interview has ranged from 36-38

That’s what is says on QUB’s website!
I suspect it was lower than usual due to their insistence on a 4th AS, which was far less common than in previous years, so I suspect meant they had fewer applicants. They have removed this as a requirement this year
anyone get called for interviews yet for medicine? (international or home)
Original post by Vorpent
Ultimately it depends on the cut off score for QUB's internal points system. You should not be concerned about your UKCAT score, but rather, your UKCAT score in relation to the rest of your application

You calculate your points score by ranking your top 9 GCSEs, where an A* is worth 4 points, A is worth 3 points, B is 2 and C is 1. This brings you to score out of 36.

You then add your GCSE points score to your UKCAT score, which is out of 6. Therefore, in total, your points score is out of 42.

Banding of UKCAT Scores Points
1200 1899 = 0
1900 2099 = 1
2100 2299 = 2
2300 2499 = 3
2500 2699 = 4
2700 2899 = 5
2900 3600 = 6

The cut off for interview has never been higher than 38 points. Last year, I think it was 30 points for some reason.

All in all it is very clear that, whilst the UKCAT is extremely important and shouldn't be neglected, GCSE point score contribute the majority of the points, therefore your GCSE point score is far more important than your UKCAT score.

(This makes sense, since the UKCAT only represents 2 hours of your life whereas GCSEs show how well you've performed in the long run, over a variety of subjects and how dedicated you are to your studies. UKCAT only tests aptitude and it's multiple choice so has its limitations too as 1) its not a control test, since people do different exams so some may have easier/ harder questions and 2) people might, by fluke, get really high scores just by guessing whereas its harder to get 9A* GCSE just by fluke therefore justifying why they weight GCSEs more heavily, to show you can cope with the prolonged academic intensity of medicine)

Your UKCAT score isn't bad, provided your academic point score makes up for it. I'd say if you have around 38 or above, you're fairly safe because if the cut off rises to 39 or 40, it means everyone they interview has like 9A* GCSE and UKCAT of 650 or so, which is quite high. The cut off has never been higher than 38.

Also I called the admissions team and they said that the combined UKCAT and GCSE point score is just to get to the interview stage. Once you achieve an interview, it is the interview alone which determines whether or not you get an offer. So someone with 42/42 points has no advantage over someone with, say, 38/42 points at the interview stage.

It is also worth mentioning that QUB doesn't look at the SJT band for the UKCAT however, in borderline cases (i.e they don't have many places left to make an offer and are trying to differentiate between similar performing candidates at interview to fill up the few places remaining), they may look at SJT, and/or extra GCSE A*/A grades not included in the 9 which they looked at before interview.

I hope this was helpful, and I urge you not to worry. If your academics are good then you actually make for a great candidate :smile:

What exactly to they mean by top 9 GCSE, is any combination or the core subjects ( maths, English, sciences) plus your top scoring subjects. For context I got 8A* (including maths and triple science) 1A 1B (in English language)
Original post by A.Person
@Vorpent
Thank you so much! Yes, I score the full points for my Highers. I phoned them up. So i have 33 points for the academics and 3 for UKCAT. 36 points in total. I just hope they don't lower make the cut off more than 36. Considering that every year the cut off has been lowering and last year's was 30, I hope that it isnt more that 36.

Yeah, this is what it says on the admissions policy document

' Year Points Threshold for interview
2013 37 points
2014 38 points (plus some students with 37 point)
2015 38 points (plus some students with 37 points)
2016 37 points (or 36 points plus ABBB at AS-level)
2017 34 points and above
2018 30 points and above '

It seems to be going down so hopefully 36 will secure you an interview, provided it doesn't bounce back up again.
Original post by Schoolboy101
What exactly to they mean by top 9 GCSE, is any combination or the core subjects ( maths, English, sciences) plus your top scoring subjects. For context I got 8A* (including maths and triple science) 1A 1B (in English language)

They are some great stats btw.

It says on the website

'The total points score will be based on results in the best 9 subjects, at first attempt unless the GCSE was taken a year early and then repeated at the normal stage. Only GCSEs taken in Years 11 and 12 will be counted (Years 10 and 11 in England and Wales)'

So your 8A* 1A will equate to 35/36 for academics, which is a strong score. So ideally you want 3 points on your UKCAT to be 'safe' at 38 points (this is a score in the region of 575-625).

38 points is considered safe because that's the highest the cut off has ever been and is unlikely to rise above that, in my opinion.
Original post by Vorpent
They are some great stats btw.

It says on the website

'The total points score will be based on results in the best 9 subjects, at first attempt unless the GCSE was taken a year early and then repeated at the normal stage. Only GCSEs taken in Years 11 and 12 will be counted (Years 10 and 11 in England and Wales)'

So your 8A* 1A will equate to 35/36 for academics, which is a strong score. So ideally you want 3 points on your UKCAT to be 'safe' at 38 points (this is a score in the region of 575-625).

38 points is considered safe because that's the highest the cut off has ever been and is unlikely to rise above that, in my opinion.

Oh ok, thank you so much-very useful information.
Good luck with your application!
Reply 46
QUB have changed the scoring system for GCSEs slightly this year.

In previous years only A* and A were awarded points but they have extended that to include B and C this year. It might push the threshold up a little bit? If it does have an effect it would be a small one I think.
Hey guys, any locals actually get an acknowledgement email? :confused:
Reply 48
Original post by michaela0899
Hey guys, any locals actually get an acknowledgement email? :confused:

Yep, got mine like almost 2 weeks ago
New student accommodation pricing!

Hi all! We’ve got a huge announcement to make. We’ve launched our new prices for 2019/20 and we’ve got some amazing offers running on our website. You could receive a £150 voucher for referring a friend or get up to a £750* discount for booking with us early.

For more information, please check out our website: https://www.studentroost.co.uk/ (please link this to your city page)
i just realised the academics are out of 36. And I score full marks for the academics plus 3 points for ukcat meaning 39 in total not 36 like i previously said.
Reply 51
Original post by A.Person
i just realised the academics are out of 36. And I score full marks for the academics plus 3 points for ukcat meaning 39 in total not 36 like i previously said.

That sounds much more likely and what it was when I applied lol
I am also applying to QUB as well and haven't heard anything either. However, I need help with the calculations for the points as I don't seem to understand how it is calculated. If someone can kindly help, that will be very much appreciated.:smile:

My stats are:
A-levels A*AAB
GCSE's 5B's 3C's
UKCAT is 2/6 (Very bad).
Do I stand a chance at all?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Esteebee
I am also applying to QUB as well and haven't heard anything either. However, I need help with the calculations for the points as I don't seem to understand how it is calculated. If someone can kindly help, that will be very much appreciated.:smile:

My stats are:
A-levels A*AAB
GCSE's 5B's 3C's
UKCAT is 2/6 (Very bad).
Do I stand a chance at all?

Thank you :smile:

Are you A levels achieved? And if so, is it your first time applying for medicine?
Original post by GANFYD
Are you A levels achieved? And if so, is it your first time applying for medicine?

Yes please, thank you
Reply 55
Original post by Esteebee
Yes please, thank you

We need to know if you already have your A level grades and have finished all the exams, and whether this is the first time you have ever applied for medicine
Hi guys, are there any international applicants who haven't received any acknowledgement yet? I haven't got any mail so far and I'm a tad bit worried now :/
Original post by Gauri007
Hi guys, are there any international applicants who haven't received any acknowledgement yet? I haven't got any mail so far and I'm a tad bit worried now :/

I didn't an acknowledgement yet but they sent me a fee questionnaire and I was given Home/ EU status so idk.
I don't think anyone has recieved even the acknowledgement emails yet. I mean I personally haven't anyway and I'm UK.
Original post by GANFYD
We need to know if you already have your A level grades and have finished all the exams, and whether this is the first time you have ever applied for medicine

I have already achieved my A-levels. They are A*AAB

Latest

Trending

Trending