The Student Room Group

Cabinet backs the draft Brexit deal

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46215930

The cabinet has agreed to back the draft Brexit deal, which, despite having been backed by the government will now face a challenge in Parliament where Labour, the DUP and Tory rebels are expected to reject it.

Scroll to see replies

Some people are worried about what the DUP make of it but it is Labour who are in a tight spot here. They will make all the difference in the House and Corbyn's first proper test has landed, let's fasten our seat belts here because May could be facing her last too. Over to Corbyn, it's all in his hands.
Reply 2
Don't want Jezza as PM he's worse than Trumper, if it comes to that but I don't agree with staying in the customs for 21 months or so, it's not what was voted for.

A no deal is ideal, clean slate for deals all over the world no EU restrictions even with the deal they are in control
DUP to the rescue please
Original post by hello_shawn
DUP to the rescue please

Yeah, all ten of them. As a block, it is Labour who hold the decisive power to see May through or not and they will have to finally come off the fence on something as real as it gets. If they don't, there is nothing to hang on to anymore. May will be gone, it's back to zero with the EU, it will be a disorderly withdrawal that nobody can fully envisage. There is that much in the balance and Corbyn will be dreading every minute of it right now. There's always that to cheer us up, it's not as if he hasn't asked for it...
(edited 5 years ago)
They've agreed it in as much as they all came during out of a meeting, immediately turned to any member of the press they could find and bad mouthed the while thing.

A number of them are rumoured to be poised to resign.

No deal is almost a certainty at this point.
There are around 185 MPs at the moment who would back May’s deal. So she needs 135 more from somewhere for it to pass...

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1062756923852906496
Original post by JMR2018
There are around 185 MPs at the moment who would back May’s deal. So she needs 135 more from somewhere for it to pass...

https://twitter.com/electionmapsuk/status/1062756923852906496

What would you like to happen? Deal, no deal or people’s vote leading to staying in the EU as normal?
It won't cut it with any other party. The deal will fail to get through parliament and Theresa's days are numbered. Honestly, we should have planned for no deal right from the moment brexit was confirmed

And don't ever think voting remain was voting for the status quo. The EU has always seen a remain vote as us willing to give up any further influence we had on the EU, simply because we called a referendum
(edited 5 years ago)
Corbyn just said he does not support it, it is mathematically impossible for this to be passed. Take you best guess what happens next.
Original post by Pseudo Intellect
What would you like to happen? Deal, no deal or people’s vote leading to staying in the EU as normal?

My own personal opinion is a bit undecided. On one hand, I would definitely prefer a Labour deal to a Tory one, and as such would want a general election to take place. However, that can only be plausible if the EU extends the deadline, and if not, then May’s deal seems to be the lesser of the evils. I think a people’s vote wouldn’t mean we remain ‘as normal’. Now that we’ve had this whole thing, if we turn back at the last minute we risk disillusioning about half of the electorate completely, which would probably cause even more bitterness and division really...
Original post by JMR2018
My own personal opinion is a bit undecided. On one hand, I would definitely prefer a Labour deal to a Tory one, and as such would want a general election to take place. However, that can only be plausible if the EU extends the deadline, and if not, then May’s deal seems to be the lesser of the evils. I think a people’s vote wouldn’t mean we remain ‘as normal’. Now that we’ve had this whole thing, if we turn back at the last minute we risk disillusioning about half of the electorate completely, which would probably cause even more bitterness and division really...

I think you are one of the only people I’ve met that has tried to look at it with a more balanced view.
The great fudge is arriving as promised, never trust a Tory...
Original post by JMR2018
I think a people’s vote wouldn’t mean we remain ‘as normal’. Now that we’ve had this whole thing, if we turn back at the last minute we risk disillusioning about half of the electorate completely, which would probably cause even more bitterness and division really...

It will be more complex than that.

Blair has in his back pocket the deal that Cameron could not secure. That is important for those Brexiteers who originally voted on the basis of immigration; have subsequently said it was about sovereignty, but when asked to explain sovereignty, can only do so in terms of stopping immigration. Blair's deal in readiness will solve most of the moans about the EU.

Secondly, most of the more sophisticated Brexiteers are a busted flush because when push came to shove they could not group around any single viable outcome. I suspect that any second referendum will be designed as to play up the Judean People's Front aspect of Brexit.

Thirdly "ever closer union" or the Franco-German Axis is progressing (largely driven by Trump) and if we remain, we really can no longer impede it and that is going to cause a lot of gnashing of teeth amongst sceptical Remainers.
Original post by nulli tertius
It will be more complex than that.

Blair has in his back pocket the deal that Cameron could not secure. That is important for those Brexiteers who originally voted on the basis of immigration; have subsequently said it was about sovereignty, but when asked to explain sovereignty, can only do so in terms of stopping immigration. Blair's deal in readiness will solve most of the moans about the EU.

Secondly, most of the more sophisticated Brexiteers are a busted flush because when push came to shove they could not group around any single viable outcome. I suspect that any second referendum will be designed as to play up the Judean People's Front aspect of Brexit.

Thirdly "ever closer union" or the Franco-German Axis is progressing (largely driven by Trump) and if we remain, we really can no longer impede it and that is going to cause a lot of gnashing of teeth amongst sceptical Remainers.

Sorry but where is the evidence that Blair has a deal 'in his back pocket'?
Original post by JMR2018
Sorry but where is the evidence that Blair has a deal 'in his back pocket'?

Only his word for it.

Iin the interviews he has been giving in the last 48 hours, he has been saying that if the UK Remains, his conversations with senior politicians in Europe show the EU will make a generous offer about the future relationship addressing Britain's concerns about the EU. He is refusing to comment when pressed as to whether these are discussions with Macron and Merkel.
Dominic Raab has quit
Reply 17
Original post by JMR2018
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46215930

The cabinet has agreed to back the draft Brexit deal, which, despite having been backed by the government will now face a challenge in Parliament where Labour, the DUP and Tory rebels are expected to reject it.
The Cabinet backed it as a matter of political self-interest, not ideologically or because it presents the best option for the country.

Brexiteers will reject it because it doesn't go nearly far enough. Remainers will reject it because it goes too far. It is a Curate's Egg designed by committee.
Reply 18
Original post by SMEGGGY
Don't want Jezza as PM he's worse than Trumper,
What a ridiculous statement.

I don't agree with staying in the customs for 21 months or so, it's not what was voted for.
No details were voted for. That's why there needs to be a vote on the actual deal now we know what it is.

A no deal is ideal, clean slate for deals all over the world no EU restrictions even with the deal they are in control
Politics, economics, trade, finance and just reality in general not your strong point then?
Reply 19
Original post by hello_shawn
DUP to the rescue please
There's a phrase I never expected to hear.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending