The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fatima20000
What is your UKCAT score?

The cut off level would be low this year for all medical schools compared to previous years as shown from the results. So do not worry

I thought Aston said they didn't have a ukcat cut off :eek:? my score is really bad it's 2300 (i was so nervous and I forgot to look at the time so I left over 40 questions blank:frown:)

also, is there any point for me to apply for the widening participation if I have already achieved my GCE? and I also noticed that the form should be completed by a teacher not a uni professor (but I'm a graduate applicant )
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by catching_fire
x

Hey,

As stated on the e-mail, those holding a degree will not be eligibile for WP.
They will consider your UKCAT alongside your GCSEs/A levels already achieved.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by catching_fire
I thought Aston said they didn't have a ukcat cut off :eek:? my score is really bad it's 2300 (i was so nervous and I forgot to look at the time so I left over 40 questions blank:frown:)

also, is there any point for me to apply for the widening participation if I have already achieved my GCE? and I also noticed that the form should be completed by a teacher, not a uni professor (but I'm a graduate applicant )

If you can sign it by a professor in your previous Uni, this will be great. The aim of this section is that a trustable person confirms that you meet the criteria for widening participation, does not matter if he a teacher in a school or a professor in the uni. At the end of the day, he knows you and can confirm that you meet the criteria according to your circumstances. you can show him evidence if he asks. Also, show him your postcode check result according to the supplied link.

Regarding UKCAT, Aston medical school is one of the uni which is ideal for students with low UKCAT.

Good Luck
If you can sign it by a professor in your previous Uni, this will be great. The aim of this section is that a trustable person confirms that you meet the criteria for widening participation, does not matter if he a teacher in a school or a professor in the uni. At the end of the day, he knows you and can confirm that you meet the criteria according to your circumstances. you can show him evidence if he asks. Also, show him your postcode check result according to the supplied link.

Regarding UKCAT, Aston medical school is one of the uni which is ideal for students with low UKCAT.

Good Luck

Sorry I did not notice that in the email sent to us:

If after looking at our widening participation criteria you believe you qualify, you will need to fill out and return an additional information form. Please note applicants who are currently taking part in the Sir Doug Ellis Pathway to Healthcare Programme will not need to complete this form. Additionally international students and those who are currently doing or already hold a Bachelors or Higher degree are not eligible.
Original post by ibs00786
Got it now. Print it off and fill in section one with your parents. Then take section 2 to your teacher and fill it in with them

Many thanks. I have mitigating circumstances but no place in the application form to add them and the teacher does not know about these circumstances because they happened in my previous school. Can I send these as a separate document with the application form?
Many thanks. I have mitigating circumstances but no place in the application form to add them and the teacher does not know about these circumstances because they happened in my previous school. Can I send these as a separate document with the application form?

I would advise talking to your teacher and asking them to fill in the extenuating circumstances section on the teacher declaration sheet
Original post by Gastroepiploic
Hey,

As stated on the e-mail, those holding a degree will not be eligibile for WP.
They will consider your UKCAT alongside your GCSEs/A levels already achieved.

Sorry I did not notice that in the email sent to us:

If after looking at our widening participation criteria you believe you qualify, you will need to fill out and return an additional information form. Please note applicants who are currently taking part in the Sir Doug Ellis Pathway to Healthcare Programme will not need to complete this form. Additionally international students and those who are currently doing or already hold a Bachelors or Higher degree are not eligible.

Thanks guys :smile: really appreciate that! I didnt look at the email properly that it mentioned graduate applicant is not eligible for WP. Good luck with your application too! :smile:
Reply 47
Hi im currently in year 12 and thinking about applying to Aston.
My gcses are
Double award science-9,9
Spanish-8
Maths-7
English lit-7
Geography-7
English lang-6
Computer science-6
Engineering-m2
My target grades are currenly AABB (chemistry,physics,biology,psychology). But these are liable to change as its only been 1month in yr12.
Original post by A_s0201
Hi im currently in year 12 and thinking about applying to Aston.
My gcses are
Double award science-9,9
Spanish-8
Maths-7
English lit-7
Geography-7
English lang-6
Computer science-6
Engineering-m2
My target grades are currenly AABB (chemistry,physics,biology,psychology). But these are liable to change as its only been 1month in yr12.

Yeah id say you have a good chance as long as you do well in the UKCAT- It's usually a strong differentiator of applicants.
did anyone receive interview invitation from Aston ?
I know last year they were sent mid-December.
Reply 51
Anyone heard back from Aston yet
Did anyone receive interview invitation from Aston ?

My daughter (from India)- waiting

no
Original post by EmergencyMed
https://themsag.com/blogs/get-into-medical-school-blog/when-do-medical-schools-send-interview-invites

All the dates of interview invitations are in this link, I cannot vouch for its accuracy though.

yup i just saw this before your post. But for Aston they have a wide range and do not specify particularly which dates for interview
plus i am an international student and his info might be for eu or uk students
Original post by EmergencyMed
Yes, I agree, but it is all we have at the moment.

yea you're right as this is the only info we got about the uni interviews
Original post by Gastroepiploic
(+ On the open day they mentioned that they accepted ABB at A-level strangely)

GCSEs: 9A*3A
A-level: AAAa
UKCAT: still needs to be done (probably going to be average(ish))

Only applying to 3! St George's, Aston and Dundee. :smile:

What are your stats Safa? :smile:

This is true they accepted my friend with ABB but I think she qualified for WP and the profile of AMS was quite low so had few applicants to choose from
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Indyyyy
This is true they accepted my friend with ABB but I think she qualified for WP and the profile of AMS was quite low so had few applicants to choose from

When did this happen please? do you mean for 2018 entry ?

Latest

Trending

Trending