The Student Room Group

Not motivated! :(

I'm not motivated to revise at all. I have certain days / weeks where I really want to try my best and others where I just give up & cant be bothered! I'm in year 13 and my exams are so close! I'm so scared! I don't know what to do to get me to just do the work!?

Has anyone been through this? What should I do?
I really do want to get into university and I have good grades in class but im just not motivated / determined to work at home! All I do is go on my phone and watch videos etc. Even when I'm not doing that I'm so tired, stressed and just overall lazy to do anything!

Any advice please?
No mean comments please.
Just looking for advice .

Thank you ......

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not motivated to revise at all. I have certain days / weeks where I really want to try my best and others where I just give up & cant be bothered! I'm in year 13 and my exams are so close! I'm so scared! I don't know what to do to get me to just do the work!?

I really do want to get into university and I have good grades in class but im just not motivated / determined to work at home! All I do is go on my phone and watch videos etc. Even when I'm not doing that I'm so tired, stressed and just overall lazy to do anything!

Any advice please?
No mean comments please.

Thank you ......

You need to upgrade your mindset. It's where everything's at. You should re-evaluate your life's direction and the dream vision you want to achieve.

Sleep.
Time management.
Discipline.
Nutrition.
Exercise.

Take great care of these, one at a time. And get some accountability! Get someone to keep you on track.

You'll have all the time in the world to watch videos. Trust me on that one - and I'll tell you right now... it's not worth it in the long-term, and you have to absolutely make the long-term the priority.

Watch some Jordan Peterson too, he might be very helpful. I also recommend Thomas Frank's channel, Tim Han, and Charisma on Command. All four of them are very useful, even though they use YouTube - there are productive ways to use technology.

EDIT: Also condition your mind by giving yourself rewards when you put in the hours. Avoid burnout. Schedule smaller chunks instead and measure them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kiritsugu
You need to upgrade your mindset. It's where everything's at. You should re-evaluate your life's direction and the dream vision you want to achieve.

Sleep.
Time management.
Discipline.
Nutrition.
Exercise.

Take great care of these, one at a time. And get some accountability! Get someone to keep you on track.

You'll have all the time in the world to watch videos. Trust me on that one - and I'll tell you right now... it's not worth it in the long-term, and you have to absolutely make the long-term the priority.

Watch some Jordan Peterson too, he might be very helpful. I also recommend Thomas Frank's channel, Tim Han, and Charisma on Command. All four of them are very useful, even though they use YouTube - there are productive ways to use technology.

EDIT: Also condition your mind by giving yourself rewards when you put in the hours. Avoid burnout. Schedule smaller chunks instead and measure them.

Thank you!
That was very very helpful!
Thank you very much :smile:

How do I do better in the different areas you mentioned...?

Sleep: I usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep.

Time management: so bad! I'm always prioritising homework instead of revision... All because when I'm supposed to be doing hwk I'm watching a movie I've watched 100 times already! :frown:
How do fix my time management?

Discipline: what can I do here?
Should I give my phone to my parents to keep... Any tips here?

Nutrition: this area is so bad for me! I'm very unhealthy / scary skinny! I need to eat more but I always forget to eat! (I know! Stupid right!?) :frown:. How do I fix my nutritious needs?

Exercise: all I do atm is about 20 mins walking back from college that's all! I know! What can I do here? I would prefer non - gym related ideas please!???

Any more tips please! I'm sorry but I'm desperate! I need to change my lazy mindset ASAP :frown:

Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
First response is pretty good, but since you asked for more tips...

The environment you work in is important to your overall productivity. First, try to study in a different room with no Phone/Computer - remove distractions (or as you said, give phone to parents). If you cannot, go to a library. In fact, going out to the library to study is the best thing you could ever do for your free study time.

Surround yourself with absolutely anything that inspires or motivates you: IE home environment: inspiring decorations that help you feel enthusiastic and passionate. Thoughts: why do you want to get into uni? - whether it's just a good job, £££ for travelling etc, something you enjoy and on so on - anything that you really desire which you know you can get by working hard - dwell on these often and keep them close to your heart.

And as always: Grades are forever, pain is temporary. Do not regret being on your phone this time next year when you should have been studying!

Hopefully these strategies and feelings will help you stay on task and be productive. I believe you can do it!

Take care
Reply 4
Original post by Ben878 (LfL)
First response is pretty good, but since you asked for more tips...

The environment you work in is important to your overall productivity. First, try to study in a different room with no Phone/Computer - remove distractions (or as you said, give phone to parents). If you cannot, go to a library. In fact, going out to the library to study is the best thing you could ever do for your free study time.

Surround yourself with absolutely anything that inspires or motivates you: IE home environment: inspiring decorations that help you feel enthusiastic and passionate. Thoughts: why do you want to get into uni? - whether it's just a good job, £££ for travelling etc, something you enjoy and on so on - anything that you really desire which you know you can get by working hard - dwell on these often and keep them close to your heart.

And as always: Grades are forever, pain is temporary. Do not regret being on your phone this time next year when you should have been studying!

Hopefully these strategies and feelings will help you stay on task and be productive. I believe you can do it!

Take care

:bawling::ta:

Thank you very much for your reply @Ben878 (LfL)
That was great advice!
You're right! I shouldn't be spending my time on this now .... If I do I WILL regret it!

What I've noticed is that in college unless my friends are working i won't work! I'll just be talking with them! So then I come home but then I see my bed and get tired! I get in with the hope of getting out and doing some work but I never do get out of it! :frown:
I know it sounds very stupid! But it's become such a huge worry & issue for me now!!!
I don't know what to do! I have to come to my room to revise because I have nowhere else!
I have to come home from college to pray at home so can't stay in college either. I went to the library a few times and yes it does get me into the mood but I get so easily distracted!!!!

I don't know what to do !

Your advice has helped me though :smile:
Thank you very much ! :smile:
All the advice above still applies, and will make things tonnes easier, but you should remember that you aren't always going to feel passionate or upbeat about your work and will have to push on anyway.
I understand what you're saying, that you want to find ways to motivate yourself, but sometimes you just won't feel like it. Sometimes it will suck, and that's ok. Everyone in your situation is feeling the same way at some point when they're studying, so don't kick yourself for it.

Good luck and take care
Reply 6
Original post by charl.elise
All the advice above still applies, and will make things tonnes easier, but you should remember that you aren't always going to feel passionate or upbeat about your work and will have to push on anyway.
I understand what you're saying, that you want to find ways to motivate yourself, but sometimes you just won't feel like it. Sometimes it will suck, and that's ok. Everyone in your situation is feeling the same way at some point when they're studying, so don't kick yourself for it.

Good luck and take care

Oh... Okay
That is very true. Thank you @charl.elise
Reply 7

Good luck and take care

Also I 💯 understand what you're saying but sometimes even though I 💯 know I Need to get up and do the work I just don't! It reduces me to tears and stresses me soooo much often! Sometimes I'll be fine and the next few mins I'll be in tears blaming myself for my idiocy, stupidity, laziness and low-mindset.. when I'm in this 'stress-mode/breakdown' I always find I start comparing myself to others too which doesn't help! :frown:
I know I'm supposed to do the work but I just don't and I have no clue / way to 'force' myself to do it! How???!

I do want to force myself to just do it because I've only got a little time left but HOW?
Sweets as rewards doesn't work, phone as rewards doesn't work, extra breaks doesn't work... I've tried everything?! :frown:

Thank you for your advice :smile:
I absolutely am 💯 so thankful! Thank you again :smile:
Also I 💯 understand what you're saying but sometimes even though I 💯 know I Need to get up and do the work I just don't! It reduces me to tears and stresses me soooo much often! Sometimes I'll be fine and the next few mins I'll be in tears blaming myself for my idiocy, stupidity, laziness and low-mindset.. when I'm in this 'stress-mode/breakdown' I always find I start comparing myself to others too which doesn't help! :frown:
I know I'm supposed to do the work but I just don't and I have no clue / way to 'force' myself to do it! How???!

I do want to force myself to just do it because I've only got a little time left but HOW?
Sweets as rewards doesn't work, phone as rewards doesn't work, extra breaks doesn't work... I've tried everything?! :frown:

Thank you for your advice :smile:
I absolutely am 💯 so thankful! Thank you again :smile:

just get on with it . stop looking for pity and feeling sorry for yourself . harsh but true. dont you have someone who you want to prove wrong or someone who you want to make proud . if so just get on with it . if you get distracted during the day go sleep and revise at night where you will recieve fewer distractions . get a website block to prevent you going on sites where you get distracted . At the end of the day your messing your own life up and looking on TSR for help lifes not going to stop for you , ypu need to push yourself . thats it . get on with it .
Reply 9
just get on with it . stop looking for pity and feeling sorry for yourself . harsh but true. dont you have someone who you want to prove wrong or someone who you want to make proud . if so just get on with it . if you get distracted during the day go sleep and revise at night where you will recieve fewer distractions . get a website block to prevent you going on sites where you get distracted . At the end of the day your messing your own life up and looking on TSR for help lifes not going to stop for you , ypu need to push yourself . thats it . get on with it .

You're right! Honestly I do need the harsh truth.
Thank you. I will try doing what you said.
:smile:
I do think revising at night is a good option.
I could go to sleep at 7pm and wake up at 3AM. Have a shower and start some work after 'breakfast' at 4AM until 7AM. Then I could use my free periods properly and do an hour when I come home from college from 5 - 6.

Is that a good plan?

Thank you! I know this sounds stupid but the harsh truth is the best. I find myself always craving for attention in the hope of getting advice from people who understand what I'm going through...

Thank you again :smile:
motivation gets you going disipline commitment strong habbits gets thing done. if i just relied on motivation to go the gym i would never go
I could go to sleep at 7pm and wake up at 3AM. Have a shower and start some work after 'breakfast' at 4AM until 7AM. Then I could use my free periods properly and do an hour when I come home from college from 5 - 6.

Is that a good plan?

Thank you! I know this sounds stupid but the harsh truth is the best. I find myself always craving for attention in the hope of getting advice from people who understand what I'm going through...

I really appreciate that you're so open to the blunt truth, there's definitely hope for you yet.
But honestly I wouldn't start so extreme with the whole waking up at 3 thing.
Small steps, build on it. If you go for such a huge goal at such short notice you'll likely fail and the negative impact of that will set you back even further.
Original post by JustonBibero
motivation gets you going disipline commitment strong habbits gets thing done. if i just relied on motivation to go the gym i would never go

I heard some other people saying that too...
How do I incorporate discipline, commitment and string habits in relation to studying ?

Is that a good plan?

yes , that seems like a good plan if you can actually get out of bed and do your work which would probably be hard for the first few days but your natural clock can easily be changed . try it out . just remember all the other year 13s are in the same position as you however they are using their stress for motivation to make sure these two years count . push yourself now and you will find it easier later on . just make sure you are doing your work get off tsr it is the biggest distraction and make a plan for yourself . Remember people may offer you help for one day but after it gets tiring this world is cruel and you need to become independent .
I really appreciate that you're so open to the blunt truth, there's definitely hope for you yet.
But honestly I wouldn't start so extreme with the whole waking up at 3 thing.
Small steps, build on it. If you go for such a huge goal at such short notice you'll likely fail and the negative impact of that will set you back even further.

Thank you. You're very kind 😊
Okay... You're right. How do I start slow then..?
I used to revise from like 5-10pm but only a little bit would stick in and I'd be burned out the next day all day!
Then I started doing one hour with 15 minute / 30 minute breaks and that was good too...

What else could I do?

I think I just get so distracted and tired very fast.
Also I don't think my revision methods are always the best either :frown:
(Great! Another thing to worry about LOL... One thing at a time!)

I heard some other people saying that too...
How do I incorporate discipline, commitment and string habits in relation to studying ?

*Strong habits

Any advice please?
No mean comments please.

Thank you ......

When I have days like this I look through my first choice unis website and remind myself what I’m working for or go for a short 15 minute walk outside to get some fresh air and plan what topic I’m going to cover that day, pick a small section that’s easily done then go from there once you’ve started it easier to keep going
Original post by HobbinsE
When I have days like this I look through my first choice unis website and remind myself what I’m working for or go for a short 15 minute walk outside to get some fresh air and plan what topic I’m going to cover that day, pick a small section that’s easily done then go from there once you’ve started it easier to keep going

That's a very good idea!
I could wake up earlier and walk to college instead.

Thank you!
That was very very helpful!
Thank you very much :smile:

How do I do better in the different areas you mentioned...?

Sleep: I usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep.

Time management: so bad! I'm always prioritising homework instead of revision... All because when I'm supposed to be doing hwk I'm watching a movie I've watched 100 times already! :frown:
How do fix my time management?

Discipline: what can I do here?
Should I give my phone to my parents to keep... Any tips here?

Nutrition: this area is so bad for me! I'm very unhealthy / scary skinny! I need to eat more but I always forget to eat! (I know! Stupid right!?) :frown:. How do I fix my nutritious needs?

Exercise: all I do atm is about 20 mins walking back from college that's all! I know! What can I do here? I would prefer non - gym related ideas please!???

Any more tips please! I'm sorry but I'm desperate! I need to change my lazy mindset ASAP :frown:

I'm going to answer your questions with the best advice I can think of. My number one advice, however, is to try things yourself and trust the journey.

Sleep: Get into an evening routine and plan your day out tomorrow. Turn off gadgets and avoid the temptation to go on your phone or laptop or games etc. You may extract tips from this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbdGHavGKg.

Time management: You should try to allocate time for revision and time for fun and try sticking to those. Time management is something many people find difficult. Perhaps look at Thomas Frank's 3 tier system for more help. Get someone to keep you accountable if you can (and you can help them, in turn)

Discipline: Remove any unnecessary apps. Install a time blocking app so you can only go on for certain amounts of time. Avoid scrolling senselessly. These are some suggestions. Watch Tim Han's video on discipline.

Nutrition: There is always a way. You just need to find it. Whatever you need to do to rev up your nutrition, make it fun, effortless and exciting. Maybe have a look at Mindvalley's Wildfit programme.

Exercise: 20 mins there and back is actually a good start, but if you want to do more, join a sports club or something, or just invite friends to play with you some sports. There are other in-house exercises you could try too, which you can search up online.

If you desperately want to change your mindset, you need to really dig deep into the two possible routes your life can take. Utter hell or heavenly bliss. Search up Jordan Peterson on this matter. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEsTPaUZF0. Further to this, I recommend changing your environment heavily - make sure it's clean AND fill it up with things that matter and set you up to win.

Try adopting new habits. Habits are key to your success. Well done for seeking help - that's awesome to see.
Original post by Kiritsugu
I'm going to answer your questions with the best advice I can think of. My number one advice, however, is to try things yourself and trust the journey.

Sleep: Get into an evening routine and plan your day out tomorrow. Turn off gadgets and avoid the temptation to go on your phone or laptop or games etc. You may extract tips from this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kbdGHavGKg.

Time management: You should try to allocate time for revision and time for fun and try sticking to those. Time management is something many people find difficult. Perhaps look at Thomas Frank's 3 tier system for more help. Get someone to keep you accountable if you can (and you can help them, in turn)

Discipline: Remove any unnecessary apps. Install a time blocking app so you can only go on for certain amounts of time. Avoid scrolling senselessly. These are some suggestions. Watch Tim Han's video on discipline.

Nutrition: There is always a way. You just need to find it. Whatever you need to do to rev up your nutrition, make it fun, effortless and exciting. Maybe have a look at Mindvalley's Wildfit programme.

Exercise: 20 mins there and back is actually a good start, but if you want to do more, join a sports club or something, or just invite friends to play with you some sports. There are other in-house exercises you could try too, which you can search up online.

If you desperately want to change your mindset, you need to really dig deep into the two possible routes your life can take. Utter hell or heavenly bliss. Search up Jordan Peterson on this matter. Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqEsTPaUZF0. Further to this, I recommend changing your environment heavily - make sure it's clean AND fill it up with things that matter and set you up to win.

Try adopting new habits. Habits are key to your success. Well done for seeking help - that's awesome to see.

That's fantastic advice!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write all of that helpful information for me! I will take it all into account and I'll watch the videos too!
You are ever so kind to help me. I'm happy to that I'm changing for the better!

Thank you again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending