The Student Room Group

Unfair parking ticket

Today I got into uni for 10 and could not find a parking space, so parked next to a car in the car park, making sure there was room for everybody to get out but got a pairing ticket anyway.

Parking like this seem to be a common occurrence just FYI.

It's from called f1rst parking, it's not a penalty notice but a parking notice, for £30 if paid within 14 days.

Should I pay it, appeal it or ignore it?
Reply 1
So you parked somewhere you're clearly not supposed to and have now been caught parking where you're not supposed to. On what grounds would you appeal? Just pay the 30 quid and be done with it.
Reply 2
Original post by Dez
So you parked somewhere you're clearly not supposed to and have now been caught parking where you're not supposed to. On what grounds would you appeal? Just pay the 30 quid and be done with it.

I was in the car park, but just not in a parking space because there is never enough.
Reply 3
Original post by BatmanRH
I was in the car park, but just not in a parking space because there is never enough.

If there aren't enough spaces, either you need to arrive earlier, park elsewhere, or walk. You can't just stick the car wherever you fancy, there are rules in place for a reason.
Reply 4
Original post by Dez
If there aren't enough spaces, either you need to arrive earlier, park elsewhere, or walk. You can't just stick the car wherever
you fancy, there are rules in place for a reason.

My commute is over an hour so have to leave early anyway
Today I got into uni for 10 and could not find a parking space, so parked next to a car in the car park, making sure there was room for everybody to get out but got a pairing ticket anyway.

Parking like this seem to be a common occurrence just FYI.

It's from called f1rst parking, it's not a penalty notice but a parking notice, for £30 if paid within 14 days.

Should I pay it, appeal it or ignore it?

You didn't park in a parking space so of course you got a ticket.
Look, you have two choices. Either pay it and get it over with, or don't pay it, ignore letters, and hope it doesn't go as far as court. As the fine is only £30, I think I would personally just pay it.

There is no point whatsoever in appealing, as you were not parked in a space, and you know full well you shouldn't have parked there.

You say you have to leave early anyway as you live a distance away. You would literally have to leave 10-20 minutes earlier to get a space, just do it. It was your choice to commute. Either that, find somewhere else to park, or use public transport.
Pay.
Reply 8
Almost all parking claims can be successfully defended, however it is alot of time and effort. Only you can decide if £30 is worth it.
Reply 9
Pay it unless you have loads of spare time and lots of interest in parking law and enough motivation to follow it through.
Even if it was issued unfairly the time/£ rarely makes appealing worthwhile and parking companies know this.
My commute is over an hour so have to leave early anyway

If there is never any spaces is there no way you can commute using public transport?
Reply 11
I'd say to pay the fine, it takes a lot of work to get it appealed and by the time this has happened it would have been easier to pay the fine. Also it sounds like you didnt follow the car parks rules by not parking in a bay. Therefore they have the right to give you the ticket, they will give you a ticket for nearly anything so when you break even a little rule they will fine you
Reply 12
Original post by Indy315
I'd say to pay the fine,

It's not a fine

Original post by Indy315

it takes a lot of work to get it appealed

Debatable. I usually complete a POPLA appeal in an hour or so.

Original post by Indy315

Therefore they have the right to give you the ticket,

I have a right to give you any invoice I wish. Whether that invoice be enforceable is another matter.

Original post by Indy315

they will give you a ticket for nearly anything so when you break even a little rule they will fine you

Indeed, which is why people should be challenging these scammers.

Not to say it it would be worth OP's time to do so in this specific situation but just wanted to correct some of the myths for any future arrivals at this thread.
Original post by Reue
Almost all parking claims can be successfully defended, however it is alot of time and effort. Only you can decide if £30 is worth it.

Exactly how can parking fines be disputed and won?
Reply 14
Original post by ebam_uk
Exactly how can parking fines be disputed and won?

Lack of authority to enforce
Insufficient signage
Lack of planning permission for signage
Grace periods
Lack of POFA compliance
Supremacy of contract

etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending