The Student Room Group

Catz Cambridge JCR Q&A

Hi Catz applicants! We are the Catz JCR (basically a student council) and we would like to do our best to answer any questions you may have about applications, student life etc. We hope to see lots of you next year :smile: Good Luck with applications!

Scroll to see replies

just got rejected from the college, any idea on figures of how many got interviewed to offers last year?
Reply 2
Original post by Catz Access
Hi Catz applicants! We are the Catz JCR (basically a student council) and we would like to do our best to answer any questions you may have about applications, student life etc. We hope to see lots of you next year :smile: Good Luck with applications!

Moved to the University of Cambridge forum :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by nicholasflee
just got rejected from the college, any idea on figures of how many got interviewed to offers last year?

last year there were 609 applicants and 141 offers, so it is very competitive! The college say they try to interview everyone who is on track to receive the required grades, although this will depend on the subject. University wide, the interview offer rate is around 75%, although Catz prides itself on giving more interviews than most, so maybe 80-85% of applicants get interviews.
Well this is very cool...
Reply 5
Apart from Catz which college is the best for overall student experience? :beard:
And do any other Catz students/applicants want to come and lend a hand on the hurt/heal game? :tongue:
do you know when the invitations for interview for English will be sent out? :smile:
last year there were 609 applicants and 141 offers, so it is very competitive! The college say they try to interview everyone who is on track to receive the required grades, although this will depend on the subject. University wide, the interview offer rate is around 75%, although Catz prides itself on giving more interviews than most, so maybe 80-85% of applicants get interviews.

I applied for Catz because of the very friendly feeling in the college and because they made a big deal of how they interview most of their applicants. I come from a state school, but my teachers are knowledgeable when it comes to successful Oxbridge applications and they said my application was excellent. It was frankly a shock when I did not get an interview.

I know I put in a good application, I attended masterclasses, summer school and did very well in two subject related essay competitions. My predicated A Level grades met the entry requirements.

So I can only assume that I did poorly in my admissions assessment.

However, I do have depression as a result of a PTSD type experience - and dyslexia and I can’t help wondering whether my mental health issues and dyslexia impacted on my application. I know this may not be the case, but without the ability to get feedback, this in itself is making me feel pretty rotten and low (especially after all the comments about Catz priding itself on interviewing all realistic candidates). I feel ashamed and an idiot for even applying.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by emms2001
I can’t help wondering whether my mental health issues and dyslexia impacted on my application. I know this may not be the case, but without the ability to get feedback, this in itself is making me feel pretty rotten and low (especially after all the comments about Catz priding itself on interviewing all realistic candidates). I feel ashamed and an idiot for even applying.

Definitely not! :console: And don't feel bad about applying - Cambridge has difficult decisions to make, and they can't accept or even interview everyone. Some feedback will follow in due course, but can take a while and probably won't be sent until Feb/March.

Of course it *is* fine to feel a bit sad about getting a rejection so give yourself time to recover, and then focus on your A-levels and your future at another excellent university. It's Cambridge's loss! :smile:
Hi! I’ve applied to Catz for vet med and have an interview on the 6th December. Do you know if I need to take anything with me (references, ID) as they haven’t specified on the email? Also, do you know when/if I will get feedback on the NSAA and/or my interview? Plus when do offers/rejections tend to come through after interview?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious about what’s going to happen.
Original post by stimtothesky
Hi! I’ve applied to Catz for vet med and have an interview on the 6th December. Do you know if I need to take anything with me (references, ID) as they haven’t specified on the email? Also, do you know when/if I will get feedback on the NSAA and/or my interview? Plus when do offers/rejections tend to come through after interview?

Sorry for all the questions, just curious about what’s going to happen.

You will definitely need some form of valid ID - driving license or passport will be fine! If you are successful you won't receive any feedback but if you are unsuccessful you will be able to request interview feedback by late January/early February. Offers/rejections will be sent out by the second week of January! Good luck for your interview!
Original post by Doonesbury
Apart from Catz which college is the best for overall student experience? :beard:

Depends on what experience you want, but obviously we all think Catz is the best!! :smile: Also all of us go to Catz so don't really know what other colleges are like, but almost everybody likes their college a lot.
Reply 13
Also, do you know when/if I will get feedback on the NSAA and/or my interview? Plus when do offers/rejections tend to come through after interview?

You only get AA/Interview feedback if you get a rejection. Feedback is usually sent in Feb/March.

Decisions will be emailed by all colleges on 14th January 2019 (going by Trinity's info anyway).
Do you know how much of an impact the admissions test has on wether you get an interview? I felt mine didn't go incredibly but the majority of my application I believe is up to standards... Applying for HSPS! x
Original post by bethbradbury
Do you know how much of an impact the admissions test has on wether you get an interview? I felt mine didn't go incredibly but the majority of my application I believe is up to standards... Applying for HSPS! x

I think most people feel like their admissions tests don't go very well, they are designed to be very hard, and it is impossible to actually tell what they are looking for, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also because Cambridge has not had them in place for very long, they are less likely to be reliable indicators than say the TSA at Oxford. Again, Catz interview most people, so if the rest of your application is strong you have a good chance. Good luck!
You will definitely need some form of valid ID - driving license or passport will be fine! If you are successful you won't receive any feedback but if you are unsuccessful you will be able to request interview feedback by late January/early February. Offers/rejections will be sent out by the second week of January! Good luck for your interview!

Thank you! So you never know how you scored on the NSAA? That’s slightly frustrating but I’d rather be accepted than rejected with feedback :-)
(edited 5 years ago)
You only get AA/Interview feedback if you get a rejection. Feedback is usually sent in Feb/March.

Decisions will be emailed by all colleges on 14th January 2019 (going by Trinity's info anyway).

So on the spreadsheet for last year where it says admissions test/interview rating, will those all be people who were rejected?
Reply 18
So on the spreadsheet for last year where it says admissions test/interview rating, will those all be people who were rejected?

No, it's the interviewees rating their own performance - and usually doing very badly at judging it :wink:
No, it's the interviewees rating their own performance - and usually doing very badly at judging it :wink:

Ah I see- I’ll pay no attention to those then! I’ve been told many times that the people who think their interviews were terrible get in because the questions became harder and harder due to them being good... I’m trying to just go with the flow and not judge any of my application either way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending