The Student Room Group

May: No Brexit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by anythinggoeshe
what?

I believe that I was quite clear. Keep up the good work!
I find it delightful that the youth of today find democracy and majority vote to be a silly idea that should be dismissed if you don't like the result.

Makes it much easier to set up a dictatorship a la Chine.
Original post by anythinggoeshe
what would you suggest?

I was always a fan of the Canada option myself, although it would take a while to implement. But that aside, the EU have already said that renegotiation is not an option. It really is this **** put forward by May or no deal, personally we will remain in the EU as preferred by Tusk.
Original post by Notoriety
I always thought that the cleverest thing a pro-EU PM, tasked with delivering Brexit, could do is frustrate the negotiation process and deliver a soft Brexit; revealing this at the last minute. The Brexiteers then have two options -- to accept a very closely allied union post-Brexit or go the no deal route.

May's plan was actually slightly cleverer than that: it was to let the Brexiters themselves frustrate the negotiation process - let Davis either accept reality to get somewhere with Barnier, or refuse to do so and spin his wheels and get nowhere (at it turns out, he mostly chose the latter). The problem that she didn't forsee (or did, but didn't think anything could be done about it except ignore it and hope for the best) was that she would end up being the scapegoat for their failure.

With regard to Davis and Raab (and to a lesser extent Boris Johnson as well), there are only two possible conclusions to be drawn. Either:
i) This deal is largely the one they negotiated, and which they are now trying to distance themselves from, or;
ii) They were such incompetent negotiatiors that they failed to achieve anything, thus forcing May to do the legwork to get a deal.

Personally I suspect it's ii) for Davis and i) for Raab, but the point remains the same. They're blaming May for their own failure to deliver anything better.
Original post by random_matt
If it overturns, I'm out of this country.

Np... if it is overturned you will be free to travel anywhere within the EU. Good riddance to those who sit there cackling at the countdown to chaos for the UK.
Original post by LostAccount
I find it delightful that the youth of today find democracy and majority vote to be a silly idea that should be dismissed if you don't like the result.

Makes it much easier to set up a dictatorship a la Chine.

It isn't about not liking the result... just the consequences. God...
Let's hope Brexit is cancelled.
Original post by anarchism101
May's plan was actually slightly cleverer than that: it was to let the Brexiters themselves frustrate the negotiation process - let Davis either accept reality to get somewhere with Barnier, or refuse to do so and spin his wheels and get nowhere (at it turns out, he mostly chose the latter). The problem that she didn't forsee (or did, but didn't think anything could be done about it except ignore it and hope for the best) was that she would end up being the scapegoat for their failure.

With regard to Davis and Raab (and to a lesser extent Boris Johnson as well), there are only two possible conclusions to be drawn. Either:
i) This deal is largely the one they negotiated, and which they are now trying to distance themselves from, or;
ii) They were such incompetent negotiatiors that they failed to achieve anything, thus forcing May to do the legwork to get a deal.

Personally I suspect it's ii) for Davis and i) for Raab, but the point remains the same. They're blaming May for their own failure to deliver anything better.

Or a third, they negotiating for a faux deal and May always had the intention to force her own deal through the backdoor.

Which is what we got with Davis -- over a year in the job, yet May managed to set an agenda he did not agree to, almost as if setting that agenda was always the plan; and no doubt chosen because of his lack of experience, such that he would not realise that was doing a non-job and that always the plan; and for Raab I got the sense he was a softie May could control, and who would capitulate at her request. Loyal up until the last hour.
Original post by random_matt
You mean Gove? He is a slimy chameleon like May.

And he wants to be PM
Original post by Vinny C
Np... if it is overturned you will be free to travel anywhere within the EU. Good riddance to those who sit there cackling at the countdown to chaos for the UK.

Good riddance to people who believe in democracy.
train wreck for the conservative party at the moment.. watching last nights question time, and Claire Perry is a mess. Booed by the crowd - and rightly so - called sexism on dimbleby..

its like seeing the collapse of the current tory party reflected in one person.
Original post by Vinny C
It isn't about not liking the result... just the consequences. God...

You have never known what the consequences would be, you have all just been brainwashed into believing that project fear is a reality, uncertainty has been the issue with which we have had to contend, caused mainly by parliaments dislike of leaving, and once a deal is struck on trade things will smooth themselves out.
We saw the value of the pound rise on the news that there was a deal the other day, image that politicians had got fully behind the idea of brexit, the deal could've been so much better if the EU side knew this, instead we got a pile of crap precisely because EU negotiators knew they could take the p**" and would be backed up by our elected representatives.
As I have said in a couple of other threads, this will not be forgotten and there will be a backlash come the next General Election.
I regret voting Leave. I mean if the £ tumbles I get richer as I'm not paid in £, but seems it will affect my life in many other ways :/
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
If Brexit in any form is still what the majority want, then that's what should happen, as unfortunate as that outcome would likely be.

Or we could not ask the question and just do a Brexit in name only.
Original post by anarchism101

Raab resigning over a deal he himself had supposedly secured was all kinds of funny. He learned a lot in this process. Namely that the UK is an island off the coast of mainland Europe.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Raab resigning over a deal he himself had supposedly secured was all kinds of funny. He learned a lot in this process. Namely that the UK is an island off the coast of mainland Europe.

It's been so great that he could use the national crisis to improve his education to Key Stage 3. He has now learned not only that we have ports, but apparently Dover is important! :clap2:
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's been so great that he could use the national crisis to improve his education to Key Stage 3. He has now learned not only that we have ports, but apparently Dover is important! :clap2:

Only we all know his role in negotiations was minimal, it was Ollie Robins and May herself who have tied us up in knots.
Original post by ColinDent
You have never known what the consequences would be, you have all just been brainwashed into believing that project fear is a reality, uncertainty has been the issue with which we have had to contend, caused mainly by parliaments dislike of leaving, and once a deal is struck on trade things will smooth themselves out.
We saw the value of the pound rise on the news that there was a deal the other day, image that politicians had got fully behind the idea of brexit, the deal could've been so much better if the EU side knew this, instead we got a pile of crap precisely because EU negotiators knew they could take the p**" and would be backed up by our elected representatives.
As I have said in a couple of other threads, this will not be forgotten and there will be a backlash come the next General Election.

How much longer can Brexiteers bury their heads in the sand? I know what the consequences are because they are happening as we speak and believe me... this is just the tip of the iceberg. Let's hope that 4 months notice is sufficient time save RMS Titanic this time around. The only likely backlash from this debacle is Fidel Castro in No.10
Original post by ColinDent
Only we all know his role in negotiations was minimal, it was Ollie Robins and May herself who have tied us up in knots.

Or, to put it more realisically, they left it in the hands of an expert and not some vain flibbertygibbet peacock politician. Or a lazy ne'er do well like David Davies.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Or, to put it more realisically, they left it in the hands of an expert and not some vain flibbertygibbet peacock politician. Or a lazy ne'er do well like David Davies.

What Ollie Robins the arch remainer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending